Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught Tope or Smoothound. Safe to eat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Bizzum wrote: »
    Steady on there now. I for one have absolutely no problem with an angler lawfully taking a fish(s) for the table. BUT in this case the OP had no idea if it was a) Lawful or b) Edible. It's just indiscriminate killing for the sake of it. It's pure an utter ignorance. Like I said earlier, the info is there for everyone to read BEFORE they go off on an aimless spree.

Hold on just a second :eek:

I did not kill it for the sake of it. I thought at the time it was a smooth hound as I was out for dog fish and smooth hound that evening. I would never kill for the sake of it, absolute height of ignorance for you to say that.

I was unaware at the time it was a tope. In fact I did not expect to catch a tope from the peir. I assume they are out at deeper waters in the sea.

Given the size of it I was going to try get it back, but the fish was barely able to "kick" and looked as if it was too far gone. So with this in mind I done what I thought was the humane thing. In fact I would do it again.

I HATE animal cruelty and would never kill for no reason. I see fishing as the food chain where the angler can catch a fresh bit of food and kill the fish humanely as opposed to buying in the shop, we all know how fish are treated aboard trawlers.

I did not check what was legal to keep or not. Even if I had onf known it was a tope, i would have killed it. As I said the fish looked too far gone. Maybe as it was on the line for a while before I realised. I was using a 12ft beach rod, with 20/35lb main/leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

gonko wrote: »

I was unaware at the time it was a tope.

Like I said, Ignorance.

Ignorance/ n. lack of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

Gonko if you think this is bad, put up a pic of a bass on your kitchen sink :-)

Checked it out with a Spanish friend for you, they eat tope and said are very nice, but you have to get them on ice straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

dbrock wrote: »
    Gonko if you think this is bad, put up a pic of a bass on your kitchen sink :-)

apples and oranges.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

gonko wrote: »
    As I said the fish looked too far gone. Maybe as it was on the line for a while before I realised. I was using a 12ft beach rod, with 20/35lb main/leader.

That tope looks between 3-5lbs. Tope are very powerful fish, and even a small one would put up a proper fight - to be honest if you didn't realise you had a tope on the line perhaps you need to watch your rod tip a bit more closely to avoid leaving fish on too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Zzippy wrote: »
    That tope looks between 3-5lbs. Tope are very powerful fish, and even a small one would put up a proper fight
    In fairness, so are hounds for their size. If hounds grew to the size of tope..

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

So did you eat it or bin it gonko? i might try a hound myself i have eaten spurdog and it is very nice, no wonder there was huge demand for them,i dont see why a hound would be much different;)

Advertisement