Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta Quest: DMV. Esoteric Edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Jernal wrote: »
    25k is becoming our new meme.

If the 25k goes to the state, maybe this is part of a a sneaky plan to address our financial woes - we simply blaspheme our way back to a balanced budget!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

swampgas wrote: »
    If the 25k goes to the state, maybe this is part of a a sneaky plan to address our financial woes - we simply blaspheme our way back to a balanced budget!

a sneaky religion tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

And Lesus. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My ZZ Top video in the music thread was oddly prophetic. >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Apparently I am to expect a letter tomorrow or the day after whatever that means. Looks like they were waiting for me to query before sending me that letter. Of course the person sending the letter was just heading into a meeting so could not talk to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UDP wrote: »
    Apparently I am to expect a letter tomorrow or the day after whatever that means. Looks like they were waiting for me to query before sending me that letter. Of course the person sending the letter was just heading into a meeting so could not talk to me.

Curious in what way they will dismiss your religious beliefs,

Looking forward to the letter,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Curious in what way they will dismiss your religious beliefs,

Looking forward to the letter,

The person on the phone didn't want to say much but there was a warning on screen when he looked me up in the system. Apparently its something to do with requiring clarification or the likes from the department of transport. I expect it will be an attempt to fob me off letter but I don't think they realise that I am a strong believer in people not being discriminated against due to their religious beliefs or lack of i.e. one rule for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Probably someone at the new NDLS confused what to do now. This was not on the training booklet!
    FSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

It's gonna be more fun when the NDLS open their new offices, and you have to go and meet an actual person to get your photo done and application taken. I guess you take your colander with and thrash it out right there. They'd really want to have yours sorted before the end of the month, so they'll know what to do with those!

"The photo captured should have a clear view of the eyes/eyebrows/forehead area with minimal shadows" according to the RSA.
    "While it is acceptable to wear head covering in accordance with religious beliefs we do not believe that you have demonstrated that the use of head covering is related to a religious belief"

They also said from the 25th local authorities will no longer be looking after photos and applications. Might need to send an emergency application tomorrow with a smaller colander then before this happens or what ye think? Does anyone know if it is from Monday that the others take over or when?
    If I start questioning it now it will pass the deadline and the NDLS will probably just not allow the photo to be taken there and then.

The second quote sounds like they are not accepting my religious belief as being valid which is discriminatory but the question is what way to proceed under time pressure. Do I just start an Equality Authority Case or try get a new application in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They also said from the 25th local authorities will no longer be looking after photos and applications. Might need to send an emergency application tomorrow with a smaller colander then before this happens or what ye think? Does anyone know if it is from Monday that the others take over or when?
    If I start questioning it now it will pass the deadline and the NDLS will probably just not allow the photo to be taken there and then.

The second quote sounds like they are not accepting my religious belief as being valid which is discriminatory but the question is what way to proceed under time pressure. Do I just start an Equality Authority Case or try get a new application in?

For the second quote, I'd say it should be enough to send information of the past examples of our pastafarian brethern wearing them to show that this is indeed a tradition of our faith. FSM is a minority religion, so it's fair enough that they may not be so familiar with our traditions.

For the second quote, I'd say it should be enough to send information of the past examples of our pastafarian brethern wearing them to show that this is indeed a tradition of our faith. FSM is a minority religion, so it's fair enough that they may not be so familiar with our traditions.
    I won't have a lot of time to do this. If people could post or PM me stuff I can use send in I will resend the application tomorrow with same day post. The Local Authority are trying to pass this off to the NDLS so they don't have to do it but it will be much tougher with the NDLS.

Any chance of ringing the chap you called the other day and question exactly how does one prove their religious belief?
    Its pretty insulting to be asked such a thing and I'd demand evidence that they ask Catholics, Jews and Muslims the same thing,

Even if it comes to it, NDLS can refuse the photo there and then but they must give you a reason. In such an instance I'd request them to put it in writing and really kick up a stink in relation to the refusal for you to be allowed to express your religion.

Their response was to be expected but it holds no water, if you wear any sort of headwear then this will automatically stop the forehead being in full view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Here's a post by the church on a similar issue in the US:

http://www.venganza.org/2013/02/the-colander-in-his-admiration-aaron-williams-acknowledges-nj-licencing-laws/

It should help affirm that this is a tradition. Some more links to similar cases:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/26/texas-pastafarian-license-photo_n_3816839.html
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/06/22/illinois-pastafarian-wants-to-wear-a-colander-on-his-head-for-his-drivers-license-picture-but-gets-rejected/

I guess if you're feeling like compromising, you could agree to keep the colander on the top of your head, so that your forehead, eyebrows and eyes are all clearly visible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'd include a picture of that Austrian FSM follower, together with a few pages of FSM-related prose.

Obviously, they're just annoyed that you're doing it and want to stop it, but I can't help but wonder if a vague reference to the Equality Authority might help concentrate their minds.

Certainly, a nice polite letter thanking them for their time and energy, together with a new photo is something they're going to have a hard time arguing against.

robindch wrote: »
    I'd include a picture of that Austrian FSM follower, together with a few pages of FSM-related prose.

Obviously, they're just annoyed that you're doing it and want to stop it, but I can't help but wonder if a vague reference to the Equality Authority might help concentrate their minds.

Certainly, a nice polite letter thanking them for their time and energy, together with a new photo is something they're going to have a hard time arguing against.
    Yes. I am thinking about sending the following filled out also:
    http://www.labourcourt.ie/en/Publications_Forms/Equal_Status_Form_ES-1_-_pdf.pdf

http://www.labourcourt.ie/en/Publications_Forms/Equal_Status_Form_ES-1_-_pdf.pdf

Well if you're going down the legal route then they have to take you seriously, in many respects it seems overkill but one has to wounder how serious they'll take you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Oh please do this :)

I say go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Hmm, only just struck me but it would have been an idea to have someone submit, at the same time, an application with a photo featuring something recognizable, a turban say or arab headscarf. It would have been interesting to see the response to both in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Hmm,
    Hardly suprising they wont consider this, when I came across Pastafariamism, besides getting a good laugh, I thought, thats me :)
    So as we aren't expected to wear a pasta strainer day to day, cant really expect to have something so overt in a driving licence, but hey, Im all for someone contesting it,
    btw I'm an a la carte, ;) pastafarianist :)

Now if you can get that on your passport,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"While it is acceptable to wear head covering in accordance with religious beliefs we do not believe that you have demonstrated that the use of head covering is related to a religious belief"
    EFFing atheist troublemakers. The county councils are full of them :mad:
    Don't let them get away with this outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Get ordained as a minister . Then send in a copy of your ordination certificate with your application. Then let them question your faith.

If it's of any use, I -- and, no doubt, Dades and Jernal -- will be happy to confirm that you've been a valued member of A+A for many years and that the forum's primary religious allegiance is to the Flying Spaghetti Monster (praise be upon his name).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    If it's of any use, I -- and, no doubt, Dades and Jernal -- will be happy to confirm that you've been a valued member of A+A for many years and that the forum's primary religious allegiance is to the Flying Spaghetti Monster (praise be upon his name).

Afraid I can't. I defected to the Reformed Flying Spaghetti Monster church and thereby cannot associate or give references to FSM members.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Afraid I can't. I defected to the Reformed Flying Spaghetti Monster church and thereby cannot associate or give references to FSM members.

Splitter.

[...] the Reformed Flying Spaghetti Monster church [...]
    Splittists? Sounds like the FSM is a real religion at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Jernal's Great Spaghetti Schism of 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Jernal's Great Spaghetti Schism of 2013

It was the wrong flavour of noodles. Is all I'm saying.

• Advertisement

The RSA have called my religious beliefs a parody thus refused the application I re-submitted before the NDLS offices officially took over. Time to take this further.

Advertisement