Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silk Road: The eBay of Illegal Drugs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I've got patent pending on an icon of a pair of trainers tied together that hangs across the address bar of a browser to indicate that drugs are sold on the site in question at certain times of the day.

I'm going to make a f`cking mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've got patent pending on an icon of a pair of trainers tied together that hangs across the address bar of a browser to indicate that drugs are sold on the site in question at certain times of the day.

I'm going to make a f`cking mint.

Doubt you'll get much of a buzz off a mint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its called recerational drug use to make it sound better and to distance themselves from the junkies.
    It's called recreational drug use because it involves the use of drugs for recreational purposes.

"Junkie" is a specific term referring to someone who's physically addicted to heroin. If you are not physically addicted to heroin, you are already distanced from junkies by definition.
    It's not as simple as going to the Silk Road website or anything.

You first have to access something called the Deep Web (god knows) and pay with some crap called Bitcoins.

Basically the thing looks so complicated it gave me a headache.
    You can buy bitcoins online. Once you have Bitcoins, it's about as complicated as using a credit card.
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    "that will make eight strong ecstasy capsules"

I didn't even know ecstasy came in capsules it was only ever tablets. Maybe I am just too old and out of the loop
    Ecstasy is generally sold in pill or crystal form. You can crush up the crystals and use capsules to make reasonably measured doses. I've never actually seen anyone selling capsules, though.

It's not as simple as going to the Silk Road website or anything.

You first have to access something called the Deep Web (god knows) and pay with some crap called Bitcoins.

Basically the thing looks so complicated it gave me a headache.

Not all sites require Bitcoins. others just require a money order ,and they are all not ' Deep Web' ( whatever that means LOL) either .
    So Ive been told...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Drugs are bad mkay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Drugs are bad mkay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Its called recerational drug use to make it sound better and to distance themselves from the junkies.
    I had three pints on Monday, before and during the Man Utd-Chelsea game. Guess that makes me an alcoholic so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

that will make eight strong ecstasy capsules, enough to see him through three weekends of partying.]

Lol...8 pills will last three weeks now will it?

And as for "strong ecstasy capsules" it's the sort of lingo that Alison O'Riordan might use when describing a scenario she has never actually seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Timmyctc wrote: »

Threw me mate a few bob for letting him post it there and asked if he could keep at it. So it very much is capable of working. Not sure what happens if ye get caught out however.

Assuming you're being careful, covering your tracks and remaining totally anonymous when ordering stuff.. then I'd say it'd be very hard to prove you had actually broken any laws, even if customs were to seize your package. Sure it could be any lunatic just sending stuff to random people =p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

chopper6 wrote: »

And as for "strong ecstasy capsules" it's the sort of lingo that Alison O'Riordan might use when describing a scenario she has never actually seen.

Most ecstacy pills that are made don't have MDMA. They have MDEA or other derivitives. Because they're easier and cheaper to make. The difference is that the comedown off MDMA is far less than with other derivitives. You can then add that most drugs are cut with sugar etc. So it's quite possible that 8 pills would last 3-4 sessions. And strong just refers to the concentration of the pills. If these are 100% they are strong.

• Advertisement

Well 125mg is a pretty good dose of MDMA. If we're to assume you're parting one night each week, it'd be enough. Three of them should definitely do you for the night, and if this isn't the case then you probably need to give the bangers a rest for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The article is probabaly referring to the fact that the maximum effective does of MDMA is 125mg, or so I'm told. So the guy would be able to make 8 caps of that strength from 1g of MDMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

BlueJohn wrote: »
    One of my friends died this year from getting stuff off the site. Well it was a concoction of things including sleeping tabs which led to it. But he was getting some stupid **** of that site.

:rolleyes:

Can you buy cannabis on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Can you buy cannabis on it?

Every strain you can imagine. Or so I'm told...

I can hear the mods freaking out about this thread lol

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Every strain you can imagine. Or so I'm told...
    silk road here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Websites like this have been around for years. They've never gone beyond a niche audience for a number of reasons. Many drug-users won't be au fait with things like bit coins and others may dislike the idea of a (potentially perpetual) digital paper trail linking their name to a drugs purchase, more again may not like handing over money weeks before receiving their drugs. I know one IT guy who's into his drugs who told me that after buying stuff online from someone for over a year the online dealer informed all of his customers that he'd leak their details to law enforcement, media, employers and recruiters in their country if they didn't pay him off (what details he had and whether this was an empty threat or not I have no idea). I know another person who had the postman steal their weed and gloat to them about it, presumably the Netherlands postmark and the feel of the package gave it away.

In Ireland if customs intercept a package for your home they usually send you a letter inviting you to be there when they open it if you accept responsibility. Anyone who rents should be familiar with mail often arriving for a previous tenant, so people will commonly use the name of someone who used to live in the place they rent as the intended recipient, to avoid criminal liability.

Ultimately using these sites carries at least as many risks as buying off a local dealer, not least the fact that you've commissioned the smuggling of drugs across at least one nations borders, which is usually a more serious offence than merely buying them or having them in your possession.

In fairness the article seems a bit sensationalist, the way the scene is set with an apartment of "funky" young professionals casually buying drugs reeks of Daily Mail style journalism. These sites may supplement but won't supplant face to face dealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Sheep Marketplace is another deep web alternative to Silk Road that also uses Bitcoin currency for purchases ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Well 125mg is a pretty good dose of MDMA. If we're to assume you're parting one night each week, it'd be enough. Three of them should definitely do you for the night, and if this isn't the case then you probably need to give the bangers a rest for a while.

Three a night is no big deal..i used to knock around with people who'd be double dropping all night and end up caning 20-25 yokes over a long weekend....usually with a few wraps of charlie thrown in and a ton of weed and a heap of pints.

Anyway,my main problem was the way the article was written...it just sounded like typical Sunday Indo nonsense dreamed up scenario from the safety of an office with access to Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Websites like this have been around for years. They've never gone beyond a niche audience for a number of reasons. Many drug-users won't be au fait with things like bit coins and others may dislike the idea of a (potentially perpetual) digital paper trail linking their name to a drugs purchase, more again may not like handing over money weeks before receiving their drugs. I know one IT guy who's into his drugs who told me that after buying stuff online from someone for over a year the online dealer informed all of his customers that he'd leak their details to law enforcement, media, employers and recruiters in their country if they didn't pay him off (what details he had and whether this was an empty threat or not I have no idea). I know another person who had the postman steal their weed and gloat to them about it, presumably the Netherlands postmark and the feel of the package gave it away.

In Ireland if customs intercept a package for your home they usually send you a letter inviting you to be there when they open it if you accept responsibility. Anyone who rents should be familiar with mail often arriving for a previous tenant, so people will commonly use the name of someone who used to live in the place they rent as the intended recipient, to avoid criminal liability.

Ultimately using these sites carries at least as many risks as buying off a local dealer, not least the fact that you've commissioned the smuggling of drugs across at least one nations borders, which is usually a more serious offence than merely buying them or having them in your possession.

In fairness the article seems a bit sensationalist, the way the scene is set with an apartment of "funky" young professionals casually buying drugs people reeks of Daily Mail style journalism. These sites may supplement but won't supplant face to face dealing.

From what I've heard there has only been one known conviction from Silk Road. There has been a number of arrests from intercpted parcels but the police find it difficult to prove the accused owns the drugs or prove that he purchased it from Silk Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If you're going to be using those sites and are worried about leaving a trail behind, download and run TAILS from a USB stick.

It's an encrypted and amnesiac live operating system that doesn't leave any trace at all on the computer it's used on, and has Tor and a load of other privacy tools pre-installed for e-mail, instant messaging etc.

https://tails.boum.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's called a few scoops to make it sound better and to distance themselves from the Alcos.
    BlueJohn wrote: »
    One of my friends died this year from getting stuff off the site. Well it was a concoction of things including sleeping tabs which led to it. But he was getting some stupid **** of that site.

Concoction + sleeping tabs.
    Sounds like the lad needed help.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

GiftofGab wrote: »
    From what I've heard there has only been one known conviction from Silk Road. There has been a number of arrests from intercpted parcels but the police find it difficult to prove the accused owns the drugs or prove that he purchased it from Silk Road.

Yeah but online law enforcement is in its infancy and with the long lasting trail left by most peoples online activity the may be prosecuted or at least have their name blackened years after they bought the drugs when online law enforcement improves. The TAILS system mentioned by MYNAMEISURL is impressive but I think any illegal activity online is a huge risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Leftist wrote: »
    this.

summarize it in 2 sentences please.

People in Melbourne are using the internet to buy drugs.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Surprised people aren't using ParcelMotel for this kind of thing.

Three a night is no big deal..i used to knock around with people who'd be double dropping all night and end up caning 20-25 yokes over a long weekend....usually with a few wraps of charlie thrown in and a ton of weed and a heap of pints.

Anyway,my main problem was the way the article was written...it just sounded like typical Sunday Indo nonsense dreamed up scenario from the safety of an office with access to Google.
    Three in a night should be enough if you're in any way sensible about your pills. After a certain point - 3 somewhat arbitrarily, though that's usually around the sweet spot for most people- you run into a case of diminishing returns. It's basic dose-effect-pharmacology: increasing the dose up to a certain point causes a rapidly increasing effect. But, after a certain level, upping your intake yields drastically decreased effect, to the extent that it becomes pointless to keep gobbing yokes. You don't get any higher, you just get more scatterbrained and the negative side effects become more apparent. You only have so many receptors that can be occupied.

20 bangers is just compulsive, and you're forcing yourself into a positive feedback loop - you're blunting your serotonic axons so you need to take more pills to get higher, which damages your neurons further, and so on. MDMA is nowhere near as harmful as popular opinion would have it, but excess like that is seriously increasing your risk of depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sleepy wrote: »

Paracetamol, yeah you can get that too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I think that would actually be worse. The way SR works, you really could have some stranger sending you drugs in the post, it's very hard to prove you are the one who ordered them. It happens, especially if someone has a grudge against you and wants to put you in it.

With Parcel Motel, you have to actually to collect the package, with a code, confirming ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

That would be worse. At least with ordering it to your door you can use a fake name so you can deny any knowledge of it. Parcel motel need a working credit card to set up an account so you'd need to use your real details.

Advertisement