Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

@sssssss Did you get sorted/any update? If it makes you feel any better I know someone who just got their price back on a DC5 this morning for €11.5k (he expected 6/8k)

Its rotten but realistically for anything old/performance orientated now its as if you need to expect 10k minimum and hope its not much more

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

does anyone kno how to get nox certificate, local toyota dealer useless as they cant provide cert for the grey import

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

its 2018 auris dont know is it old or not, trying to get price down as my shipping was unexpected over 2000€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭User1998

@bliger whats the engine code?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joe Chang

MOD edit. Your entire post looks like it was written by a SPAM Bot.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shredda23

Can I ask why your shipping was over 2k and it was unexpected? I’m in the process of getting info on an import and I am dealing with SBT in Japan. I read the reviews of them on Trustpilot and they frightened me so I am having second thoughts. I’m getting a 2017 hybrid Auris for 10k including shipping and storage. Then VRT, Duty and VAT should take it to roughly 13.5k. Looking at the second hand market you would be lucky to get one for 15k but the condition and the mileage would be up at 100km plus. Still wary about pulling the trigger as i have never imported before.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This post regarding the shipping price made me go back and look at the first post of this thread. He picked up a Chaser for less than 2 grand and a container shipping was a grand so RORO would have been even cheaper. Mad how things change in 10 years.

Are you using RORO or a container? The price I have for an Auris is RORO and is 1400. Just wondering if it might be worth paying the extra for a container. Has anyone on this thread used SBT Japan to source the car for them before and how did the experience go? Still very apprehensive about the whole thing but getting a second hand car here is just so expensive at the minute.

Yeah haha I looked at the first post a few months ago as well. Container shipping has come right down again tho and is only around €2.5k

What is it your apprehensive about? They are a legit company. I’ve seen loads of their cars in Dublin Port. Also a container is more expensive, only makes sense if buying multiple cars.

I suppose the worry that I don’t get to see the car and just pay the company 10k and then I’m trusting that SBT put the car on the ship and it actually comes. I have the auction grade sheet and it is rated as a 4 so reading everything online that it meant to be pretty good. The SBT agent said there is a boat leaving on the 18th if August so the storage costs won’t be too much. I think it’s the Trustpilot reviews on SBT that has me spooked. Have you imported many cars from Japan before and have you had a good experience?

Well I’ve seen plenty of SBT cars get shipped to Dublin. Pretty certain a friend of mine used to buy loads of cars from them.

I’ve had both good & bad experiences

Good being fast shipping and cars with no issues

Bad being shipping that took 1 year and cars that have some issues

Sorry to ask you more questions but the cars that had issues, were they grade 4 auction reports? From reading this thread, the auction report may only refer to the exterior but the actual engine might have issues. There are a couple of white Auris hybrids on Done Deal at the minute that are very low mileage and look to be Jap imports but they are on sale for 17995. I suppose it is weighing up the risk of paying 13/14k and going through the import process versus paying 3/4k more but buying from a dealer. Thank you for all your responses so far.

The auction reports are accurate, but any auction grade can have serious mechanical issues.

If dealers are selling them for €18k then you’ll get one here privately for €13/€14k after negotiating, and you’ll be able to view and test drive the car etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Have you looked at JDM Auction Watch? They're an Irish based company, I've just used them myself to import a car. My first time importing, so was a big learning curve for me. But went smooth enough, I've VRT booked for Monday. They get lots of good reviews too, they're on Facebook or website.

https://www.jdmauctionwatch.com/

• Advertisement

I have not looked into them but it might make the whole thing feel a bit safer dealing through an Irish agent. Thank you for the recommendation. Did you have any issues with your purchase or the process?

Yeah I know what you mean but the cars that are on the market privately seem to all have really high mileage. So I suppose it’s the trade off between taking the risk the Japanese car comes across and there are issues with the engine versus a higher mileage car that has passed the NCT and is probably going to be good. I have always bought Toyota and it’s just a car for the family that I am after.

Actually it’s my bad about surprising shipping cost as asked for shipping price a year ago and it was $85 m3 after I decided to buy a car I thought its mor or less the same price, but now its $183 m3. (Auris 11.279 m3) its RORO

Ask seller to provide you a Nox certificate or you will be charged flat rate €600 instead €30 for auris.

Thanks for reply, did you mention you imported an Auris? Did you deal with a Japanese export agent? How long did you wait from order to it actually arriving at Dublin port? Did you use a transport company to pick it up at the Port? Would be interested to hear your experience. Thanks again

I had no issues with them at all, process was fairly smooth. Only problems I've had were through my inexperience. I'd planned to drive it back from port, had spoken to my insurance broker who said they could give me temporary cover until I got a reg number. But when it came to it they couldn't. So had to get JDM to arrange transport for the car from Dublin to my house. I'd got VRT booked too, so had to reschedule that meaning a €50 penalty on that.

Car was a grade 4 on auction sheet, I can't find a single dent or scratch anywhere on it. Not even a stone chip.

There is a fault showing on it at the moment with high voltage battery. But I'm fairly sure that it's just because it's run down after the 3 months of transportation. It can only be charged through driving though, so can't just plug it in.

Have it booked at VRT tomorrow, so will be able to give it a bit of a run and put some charge into it. It only has 65k kms on it, so I'm hopeful it's all good.

If I did the process again, I'd book VRT to coincide with getting the car delivered. Get them to bring it straight to VRT centre. Then ring insurance as soon as I'm given a reg, so covered to drive home.

What car is it? I’ve never gotten a high voltage battery fault on any hybrid I’ve imported no matter how long it was sitting. But hopefully it goes away like you said

Thanks for the info. This is very useful.Do you mind me asking how much roughly transport was? I will have to go down the same route but my transport will have to deliver it Donegal so it will probably cost a fair whack. Keep us updated on how the VrT process goes and rough estimate of cost. I might switch from SBT and contact JDM tomorrow to give me peace of mind dealing with an Irish agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Has anybody imported a Golf GTI recently? I attempted but not sure on insurance etc

2012 BMW ActiveHybrid 5

It's worrying. I've seen other cars in auctions that have any fault lights listed, there was nothing listed for mine. I've Googled it and can find nothing, only for older ActiveHybrid 7 cars that I believe used an earlier version of the tech.

The drive out tomorrow may tell, I've it booked for a service Tuesday too with a BMW mechanic who has been trained on the hybrids. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Advertisement