Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much would you pay to stop smoking ?

• 28-08-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how much people think its worth to stop smoking ?? long story short I am a hypnotherapist and have seen a lot of different prices for sessions (not going to say what I charge :-) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

How much do you think hypnotherapy should cost ?

Noting that 'hypnotherapy' does not = 'stop smoking'.

I know what I'd be willing to pay but I'm not going to say how much :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Orlaw3136 wrote: »
    How much do you think hypnotherapy should cost ?

Noting that 'hypnotherapy' does not = 'stop smoking'.

I know what I'd be willing to pay but I'm not going to say how much :-) )
    2 of my neighbours husband and wife paid €700 each for hypnotherapy and they are still smoking :eek: It might work for some but anyone I heard of they went back smoking. Anyone I know of that gave up did it with their own will power and cost nothing. Of course will power can fail as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Just wondering how much people think its worth to stop smoking ?? long story short I am a hypnotherapist and have seen a lot of different prices for sessions (not going to say what I charge :-) )

i would pay 0 euro
    its a scam and you should be ashamed of taken peoples money for your ridiculous profession

Ive heard of hynoptists in America charging $25000 for the first session

twenty five grand??? :) Nice work

heres an example. the prices are on the page

http://www.stevegjones.com/contact.htm

holy moly, he charges 150 grand for weight loss.

I'd pay the cost of a course of champix, in essence.

But for 'hypnotherapy'...nada, zilch, zero, nothing.

:-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Janiejordon

For me stopping smoking is much lesser than the using of cigarettes. I used best4ecigs-E cigarette starter kit and then tried different varieties. I used e-cigarettes before last 6 months and I found that they are much less expensive than regular or tobacco smoking. I used to spend up to 50$ per day but after stopping smoking and using e-cigs, it is just 10-15$ per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Nothing.
    The best way to stop smoking is to simply not do it anymore... That's what I did after being a smoker for twenty years.

The stop smoking industry and those who financially benefit from it are almost as bad as the smoking industry itself, perpetuating that we need some sort of mental conditioning, pay for products, fix our mind... When in complete reality, all one has to do to stop is not do it anymore. I think I spent three quid on an Alan Carr book from a second hand shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

dharma200 wrote: »
    Nothing.
    The best way to stop smoking is to simply not do it anymore... That's what I did after being a smoker for twenty years.

The stop smoking industry and those who financially benefit from it are almost as bad as the smoking industry itself, perpetuating that we need some sort of mental conditioning, pay for products, fix our mind... When in complete reality, all one has to do to stop is not do it anymore. I think I spent three quid on an Alan Carr book from a second hand shop.

That is exactly what Alan Carr does in his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Jake1 wrote: »
    Ive heard of hypnotists in America charging $25000 for the first session

twenty five grand??? :) Nice work

heres an example. the prices are on the page

http://www.stevegjones.com/contact.htm

holy moly, he charges 150 grand for weight loss.

LOL I did not realise that Steve was charging that tbh i doubt he is getting it more than likely he is giving heavy discounts

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i would pay 0 euro
    its a scam and you should be ashamed of taken peoples money for your ridiculous profession

You and the world health organisation will have to agree to disagree so lol
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    2 of my neighbours husband and wife paid €700 each for hypnotherapy
    Thats the most i have seen it for in Ireland normal seems to be 150 to 250
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    It might work for some but anyone I heard of they went back smoking. Anyone I know of that gave up did it with their own will power and cost nothing. Of course will power can fail as well.

Will power comes out above a lot of things including nicotine replacement therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

weisses wrote: »
    That is exactly what Alan Carr does in his book.

Totally agree... Forgot to add, I never read it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Totally agree... Forgot to add, I never read it.....

I did ... It worked

Thats the most i have seen it for in Ireland normal seems to be 150 to 250

That sounds ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Nothing.

That is great for those who this method works. Everybody is not the same but your method proved to be the best way for you. I am not sure you can say this is the best method for everybody? I think there is a lot of sense in what you say but smoking is anything but sensible and is an addiction. different strategies may be needed for different people.

That sounds ridiculously expensive.

20 a day @ about €10 = about €300 a month = about €3600 a year considering the savings its rather cheap

20 a day @ about €10 = about €300 a month = about €3600 a year considering the savings its rather cheap

Hah. Thanks for making everything so eh clear for me.

However. Yeah. Cool story bro.

You are equating 'paying €200 for hypotherapy' with 'giving up smoking'.

Its not like with like.

I could compare the cost of lighting a candle a day and hoping someone would make me quit to '€10 = about €300 a month = about €3600 a year' and offer the view that the first is cheaper than the second but that would be...well...you get the point.

If we accept that some degree of will power is needed in the first and every other instance of a successful quit, we must question the basis for handing over a lump of money to somebody whose method of assisting the quit is to rely on the presence of something (will power) which must be there already in order to make the quit successful.

Particularly if there are many other ways of bolstering the fortitude of the quitter which are less expensive and/or not based on hypnotism (when did it become hypno 'therapy' anyway ?)

So again, how much would I pay to quit smoking ? I would pay some money certainly. How much would I pay for 'hypnotherapy' ? Not a cent.

The fact that you're offering an informed view as to the range of pricing for 'hypnotherapy' would make me question the bona fides of your starting this thread in any event.

but that would be...well...you get the point.
    No you have gone off on a tangent
    we must question the basis for handing over a lump of money to somebody whose method of assisting the quit is to rely on the presence of something (will power) which must be there already in order to make the quit successful.
    Hypnotherapy does not require will power

which are less expensive and/or not based on hypnotism .

Which are ??

The fact that you're offering an informed view as to the range of pricing for 'hypnotherapy' would make me question the bona fides of your starting this thread in any event.

I am just curious as to the value people put on being smoke free :rolleyes:

Hypnotherapy does not require will power

Quitting smoking does.

Which are ??

Well, if you appreciate the significance of the 'and/or' in my sentence, strictly speaking any and/or all of them, that is those that arn't based on hypnotism.

If you mean only to ask which methods are less expensive than paying a hypno'therapist' then I think you know the answer yourself (I don't know what you charge after all). One might also have to factor in the cost of cigarettes if going down this route.

I am just curious as to the value people put on being smoke free :rolleyes:

Indeed.

Those who wish to become or remain non-smokers place a high value on it.

Those who do not place a lower value on it.

Quitting smoking does.
    Not with hypnosis

Well, if you appreciate the significance of the 'and/or' in my sentence, strictly speaking any and/or all of them, that is those that arn't based on hypnotism. .

TBH it was a bit of a trick questen , with the excption of just stopping on your own I can think any that dont use some form of hypnosis (hypnosis is a very broad term)

Not with hypnosis

I don't believe we will see eye to eye as I believe this to be a fairly outlandish statement.

TBH it was a bit of a trick questen , with the excption of just stopping on your own I can think any that dont use some form of hypnosis (hypnosis is a very broad term)

Then within your own very odd frame of reference, all involving hypnotism, and hypnotism not requiring will power, none require will power. Nonsense.

The thread appears to have blatantly moved into the promotion of hypnotism as a method of stopping smoking which does not require will-power, and I don't want to contribute to that, so I will leave it there. It sounds as if its something you do in your spare time yourself in any event.

I don't believe we will see eye to eye as I believe this to be a fairly outlandish statement.
    It is statment based on experience

Then within your own very odd frame of reference, all involving hypnotism, and hypnotism not requiring will power, none require will power. Nonsense.

Maybe I should of been clearer , Clinical Hypnotherapy does not require will power to stop smoking , a large proportion of products use what falls under the broad umbrella of “hypnosis”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm sorry, but I need to step in here. While I agree with much of what crotalus667 is saying, I have to say that hypnosis does require will power and I say this in the context that the person must be willing and consent to the process. The person must want to stop smoking for hypnosis to work.

Some people can stop smoking without any help, but many need, or simply choose hypnosis to help them. Does it work every time? No, but it works in the vast majority of cases, especially if the hypnotist/hypnotherapist is morally and ethically strong enough to refuse bookings for people shown to be not ready, or unsuitable. I would add that no therapy, or medication works every time. Hypnosis is no exception.

Some comments here are very ignorant and quite clearly from people who have no clue about hypnosis. Many countries have hypnosis tied in and recognised by modern medical practitioners. Some GPs here use it, but not many. The main problem here, is a total lack of regulation, allowing every tom, dick and harry to practice, with little, or no training.

Being free from smoking to some is priceless and to others, worth very little. €700 sounds a bit steep and I think I know where that clinic is. I treated a client today who had been there only recently and failed. The clinic I have in mind simply plays a hypnosis CD, which is a complete rip off. The therapy will only be successful if suggestions are unique to that client.

To give an example; I treated a client today, who had recently discovered she was expecting. She had only come from another, well known hypnosis clinic 3 hours earlier and felt that it had not worked, but really wanted to stop. I agreed to see the lady, even though I was already over booked, but she would have smoked, so it was not a big deal for me to stay for another hour. I reinforced her natural instinct and desire to protect her developing child and that alone was powerful enough to stop her from smoking. The other hypnotist had not used the clients information for the clients benefit, which is a rookie mistake. It's early days, but I am very confident that the lady will not relapse. I usually do 2 sessions, spread almost a month apart for stop smoking sessions.

Is that worth it? Most of my clients would give a strong YES, or so I would hope. The Stop Smoking stuff is really just childs play and is easy, but time consuming. I much prefer more challenging issues, but almost everyone wants to stop smoking, or lose weight, so that's what has to be done.

For those who think hypnosis is some sort of scam, I think a little education on the subject would go a long way. Maybe look up Dr. Jack Gibson; a surgeon who carried out many operations using hypnosis and no anaesthetic. He passed in 2010, God bless his soul. He is just one example, but a very good Irish one, as he was in Naas Hospital.

Hypnosis is not the mystical therapy some make it out to be. It's actually quite simple to put someone into hypnosis, but placing reliable and functional suggestions is a different matter. Ireland as a whole is still very ignorant on the subject. If anyone has any genuine questions, I am happy to answer them. I won't treat any person from this forum, but as I am happy to answer questions of genuine inquiry.

I too was sceptical up until and after I graduated. It wasn't until I saw results from my early, non fee paying clients that I started to believe in the potential of hypnosis and so I continued to study and developed a practice, which has seen many happy customers. I can count on my hand how many people were genuinely dis-satisfied with the service I provided and can say that only one of those was my fault, because I was ill from taking pain medication after a car accident I had been involved in 16 hours previous.

There are some people out there who should not be treating people, but there are some really good ones too.

If you want to stop smoking, you stop smoking. If you don't, you don't.

If you want to lose weight, for gods sake eat better, and exercise more. Spend your money on a gym membership and a personal trainer.

The above two approaches would appear to be considerably better value than paying to be hypnotised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

If you want to stop smoking, you stop smoking. If you don't, you don't.

If you want to lose weight, for gods sake eat better, and exercise more. Spend your money on a gym membership and a personal trainer.

The above two approaches would appear to be considerably better value than paying to be hypnotised.

I am afraid its not that simple. Us humans are more complicated and/or stupid than you seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i would pay 0 euro

it does work for some people though

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I am afraid its not that simple. Us humans are more complicated and/or stupid than you seem to think.

You said yourself that your hypnotising someone will only work if they actually want to stop smoking, ergo the first statement I made is actually correct, even in your own terms albeit its not necessarily complete.

If you check the poll in this forum you can see for yourself how many successful quitters in fact attribute that success to hypnotherapy...not many.

As regards the second statement, again, its empirical that if you eat healthy and exercise sufficiently, you will lose weight. To suggest that you can be hypnotised to lose weight is clearly false. I don't doubt that it is possible that some people might have a positive effect from the power of suggestion that they will adopt good habits. I would question or in fact doubt that hypnotherapy should be considered a 'first option' for those who wish to lose weight.

And in respect of the vast majority of people, eating healthily and exercising will of course suffice.

You said yourself that your hypnotising someone will only work if they actually want to stop smoking, ergo the first statement I made is actually correct, even in your own terms albeit its not necessarily complete.

If you check the poll in this forum you can see for yourself how many successful quitters in fact attribute that success to hypnotherapy...not many.

As regards the second statement, again, its empirical that if you eat healthy and exercise sufficiently, you will lose weight. To suggest that you can be hypnotised to lose weight is clearly false. I don't doubt that it is possible that some people might have a positive effect from the power of suggestion that they will adopt good habits. I would question or in fact doubt that hypnotherapy should be considered a 'first option' for those who wish to lose weight.

And in respect of the vast majority of people, eating healthily and exercising will of course suffice.

Most people offering hypnosis in the republic of Ireland either have no training behind them, or have only a few weeks of practice behind them before their business fails, due to improper set up and a host of other reasons, so I wouldn't put much into a general boards poll. Also, most people voting are still smokers, so the ones who failed with hypnosis and other therapies are the only people likely to see the poll. Non smokers have very little reason to be here and won't see the poll.

For hypnosis to work, of course the person must want to stop smoking. They still have free will and even if they don't feel like smoking, they can still choose to smoke, as they can with any other therapy. Choice is always first.

On the weight loss thing. Hypnosis WILL NOT make someone lose weight. Hypnosis WILL help someone who wants to lose weight, to get into the right frame of mind to eat healthier and to exercise. I do be shocked at some of the claims hypnotists make. If hypnosis is the first choice for weight loss, it is the wrong choice, as it suggests a lack of willingness to make changes. Hypnosis helps, but it won't hold your hand and spoon feed you.

I have been in professional practice for 5 years and as I mentioned above, the vast majority of my clients would be happy. I am sure there have been failings along the way in both directions, but I always tell it as it is. People can make up their mind after that. I hope that clears up a few things.

Putting my cards on the table, as if I hadn't done so already, I just hate the idea of a 'magic button' that you can press so that you then achieve something that whilst not difficult requires effort on your part, without effort.

Because I don't think that magic button exists.

Statements to the effect that quitting smoking using hypnosis does not require will power (I appreciate you did not say that, in fact the opposite) really get up my nose and in my view are quite obnoxious. Unfortunately, it is that kind of statement that appears to be the norm amongst those who profess to be involved in hypnotism for reward (although the person who said it in this thread seems to be a part timer).

Anyway, I think I've been as clear as I can and I intend to avoid the thread as its clear that I am not a positive influence on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Pay nothing .

The cravings go away without the therapy and drugs.

There is no easy way out.

Its only a plant.

Putting my cards on the table, as if I hadn't done so already, I just hate the idea of a 'magic button' that you can press so that you then achieve something that whilst not difficult requires effort on your part, without effort.

Because I don't think that magic button exists.

Statements to the effect that quitting smoking using hypnosis does not require will power (I appreciate you did not say that, in fact the opposite) really get up my nose and in my view are quite obnoxious. Unfortunately, it is that kind of statement that appears to be the norm amongst those who profess to be involved in hypnotism for reward (although the person who said it in this thread seems to be a part timer).

Anyway, I think I've been as clear as I can and I intend to avoid the thread as its clear that I am not a positive influence on it.

Correct. No magic button. Clinical hypnotherapy is very different from what is seen on stage, but i'm not even going to get into that. Suffice to say, it requires a certain type of person to make a fool of themselves under the influence of hypnosis.
    brokenarms wrote: »
    Pay nothing .

The cravings go away without the therapy and drugs.

There is no easy way out.

Its only a plant.

They do. But breaking the habit and associations are where hypnosis really help. Its easy to say "just don't smoke"' but if it were so easy, I reckon we would have a tiny percentage of people who smoke. It is my understanding that many don't try, because they believe it is so hard. As someone who smoked in the past, I can certainly understand it. Oh, and i went cold turkey :D Was before I trained to become a hypnotherapist.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    I have to say that hypnosis does require will power

One of the reasons a lot of people seek hypnosis is a lack of will power :rolleyes:
    The person must want to stop smoking for hypnosis to work.
    No, to be indifferent will work for a number of people
    Being free from smoking to some is priceless and to others, worth very little. €700 sounds a bit steep
    Is it really ??? ok in compared to price others are charging but in the grand scheme of things when you look at money saved an health benefits ??
    The therapy will only be successful if suggestions are unique to that client.
    Not exactly true , cd's will work for a very small proportion of people (never sell them my self)

Advertisement