Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2013/14 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

a good win tonight few more games and i think we can step it up a notch, by the looks of things players will be fightin for their positions in defence which is great and it looks like where nicely stocked in midfield as well.
    also cheers derek for the lift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Craig, Keith and maybe your other two to come in too, that would be 19, perhaps slightly too many by one or two, but like last season, people who don't start for one or two games in a row potentially stop coming, so I'd like to stock the squad from the start.

I think with proper full backs in place, and not square pegs in round holes, we'll be even better. No offence to those who did play in the full back positions tonight, but we do have actual full backs in the squad who are better there.

I liked that we created enough to win that game by four or five really, they never created very much though, we cleared one off the line, but it was a weak enough shot and we'd a man on the post as is proper from corners.

I think we're fairly adaptable, and can tweak the midfield combinations to suit if we want to go all out attacking or be slightly more conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

good win, probably deserved to win by 3 or 4, but overall we were well on top.

the two results tonight were -

Boardeaux 2 Dell 1
    Rocco 5 Portugal FC 2

Next Mondays weeks fixtures are -

Portugal V Dell
    Rocco V Boardeaux

I think Dell want to play at 7.15 every night, so will confirm if that is what will happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pretty solid, impressive win.

I thought it took a while to settle with the fullbacks, wingers having to cover back a bit more, but it got better after half-time.

Great second goal.

Well done lads

• Advertisement

lads,

confirmed for next week - Rocco v Boards at 8.15, same venue.

Cheers

We're doing this on Monday

4FDV50d.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

that is quality, ill hoof it!

Did they win?

• Advertisement

that is quality, ill hoof it!

do you ever do anything else?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

do you ever do anything else?

They are shots :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And they've even gone in...wind assisted:pac:

we are down 4 or 5 lads later so may need a player or two if ye have 12 or more!

hoping to get the 11, am asking a few lads, but seems that half the country is hungover today.

I think we've 12 or possibly 13 coming.

we have 11 now, but most are hungover after yesterday.

getting the excuses in early :D

Score?

we won 3-2 goals from luke collie and im not sure if jules is claiming the 3rd :P

yep, with deflected OGs the last player from our team who touches the ball is credited with the goal.

How are you Derek?

• Advertisement

Well done lads

I believe Darren, Luke and Jules were the scorers.

yep, with deflected OGs the last player from our team who touches the ball is credited with the goal.

How are you Derek?

Have me leg on ice at the mo ill know more tomorrow how bad itl be but at the moment its not looking good, it defo popped which im reading right now is a sign of a tear :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Good win
    Played some good stuff and should have had a few more.

ok so, I think once again we look fairly good coming forward, and early on last night we were pretty untouchable, correct decisions, passing, movement and even shots from distance. It's obvious that we have a good, cohesive and devastating attacking unit - when we want to.

It's also pretty obvious that we have issues dealing with anything direct into our own box - corners, long throws, free kicks from 40+ yards - not only does there seem to be nobody in charge, there isn't even anyone challenging for headers. This needs to change.

I do think that when we defend about 25 yards outside our own box, and set up to play against long, aimless balls out from the opposition defence we are very good, we have a number of defenders who are comfortable with taking a ball down and looking up to find a man, and the balls that do get past I'm confident that the goalkeeper will be able to deal with, anything else is skidding wide, if the odd ball does get to one of the opposition attackers that's fine too, we have the defenders to recover and make a tackle, the goalkeeper can also challenge that - the actual % of balls like that which will end up in a goal is fairly small, and I am willing to accept that we WILL concede goals like that - but as long as we trust and believe that it's an anomaly, and that out attackers will invariably score then we just need to look at the overall picture.

Keep pushing and pressing, even AFTER we concede. Keep playing the high line, keep creating chances, keep the opposition kicking long balls that we can deal with 99% of the time.

I need absolute buy-in for that though - it can't just be for 20 minutes, because I know the attackers love the system, they get goals, and it can be hard for defenders and GK to accept that we are setting up in such a way that means we don't really mind conceding the odd goal. It's not about clean sheets, it's about scoring more than the opposition - and we WILL do that, we CAN do that.

The goals we ARE conceding are not as a result of this system, they are as a result of not defending set pieces correctly (second goal last night notwithstansing, sometimes you have to put up with good finishes :))

good competitive game as usual, i think thats the 6th game we have played thats been decided by a goal. took our back 4 about 15 minutes to wake up but after that they were outstanding and overall the game was pretty even, both teams dominated for about 25 minutes each.

will ask astro for a refund for the floodlight failure though, if it was a league match it would be replayed ;)

next week its the last round,

Rocco v Dell at 7.15
    Boards V Portugal 8.15

i will confirm the venue later, not sure yet if its Colmcilles or Wesley.

lads, confirmed for Colmcilles again next week...Wesley is unavailable.

so, 8.15 boards v portugal FC

am I correct in assuming that we are top of this little mini league with 6 points, while everyone else has 3?

We've beaten Dell and Rocco
    Rocco Beat Portugal
    Portugal beat Dell

Is there going to be silverware?

Is there going to be silverware?

no, didnt sort any as nobody replied to my email saying to get it! i could have got work to sponsor something....next time..

small problem for next week, Portugal are playing a league game (6 a side) and want to play the 11 a side game at 7.15 instead of 8.15 now.

will see what can be done.

• Advertisement

We'll take the walkover, I don't agree to a fixture change this late

CAMPIONES CAMPIONES!!!!!!

Well done everyone!!

Advertisement