Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the roughest bus route in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-08-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

What do you think is the roughest bus route in Dulin? I heard before that it was the No. 18. Not to sure which route holds that distinction now.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There is only one answer: 40

Before that it would've been the 78A..which now forms part of the 40..

77 and 38 would be notable mentions of the past. From a Bus Enthusiasts point of view, the 40 sees 00 reg AVs and 78A saw very old buses that were in poor condition, going right back to RV333-RV349 which were ready to collapse by their end.

Whereas the 38 now sees the odd VT and is predominantly AX operated. And last night in West Tallaght, an EV was sent out late from Jobstown and a brand new GT was on the 56A at the same time. Time was West Tallaght would get a battered Cityswift RA beyond 7pm (if the 77 wasn't cancelled and 56A running via Belgard Rd) or an RH on the 76 that terminated in Fettercairn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dfx- wrote: »
    There is only one answer: 40

Before that it would've been the 78A..which now forms part of the 40..

77 and 38 would be notable mentions of the past. From a Bus Enthusiasts point of view, the 40 sees 00 reg AVs and 78A saw very old buses that were in poor condition, going right back to RV333-RV349 which were ready to collapse by their end.

Whereas the 38 now sees the odd VT and is predominantly AX operated. And last night in West Tallaght, an EV was sent out late from Jobstown and a brand new GT was on the 56A at the same time. Time was West Tallaght would get a battered Cityswift RA beyond 7pm (if the 77 wasn't cancelled and 56A running via Belgard Rd) or an RH on the 76 that terminated in Fettercairn.
    Ah the memories of the 79's parked up at Cherry Orchard or the turnaround space on the Kennelsfort road. from 7pm many evenings in the 90's and 00's as soon as a driver got attacked all traffic towards Clondalkin/Neilstown/Rowlagh using the Coldcut Rd would stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Merging the 40 with the 78a was one of the worst decisions made under network they wreaked. Now that the bus now has to go through Finglas West and North Clondalkin it has twice the chance of being missiled by the lovely youth in those areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Any 40's I've been on recently from Rowlagh-City Centre haven't had any hastle.Weirdly enough have seen a big increase in drunks and drug taking on the 69,which is usually a quiet enough route.

79 was my least favourite route back in he 90's,lads going out to Cherry Orchard to buy heroin and then shooting up or smoking it on the way back in,lots of hassle waiting at the stops on Aston Quay and the one on Wood Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

The 75 is quite rough there are loads tallaght knackers that come to dun laoghaire to go fishing and are known to cause trouble on buses there been incidents on the 7 in ballybrack and the stone throwing on the 46a/10 at odeavy gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

17A was the roughest I was ever on.
    Don't know if it's still running though, been years since I was on it.

Diemos wrote: »
    17A was the roughest I was ever on.
    Don't know if it's still running though, been years since I was on it.

I've witnessed a few dodgy incidents on the 17A in recent times. Also have a couple of very memorable ones from the old 78A for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

stehyl15 wrote: »
    The 75 is quite rough there are loads tallaght knackers that come to dun laoghaire to go fishing and are known to cause trouble on buses there been incidents on the 7 in ballybrack and the stone throwing on the 46a/10 at odeavy gardens.

99% of the time the 75 is fine - I've rarely seen trouble (except the odd time between Tallaght and Old Bawn) on it and I was a daily user for over 7 years!

The main problem areas that have caused diversions of late have been either end of the 40, the 13, and the Tolka Valley part of the 83a.

The 27 can have trouble as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

General uproar has been witnessed on the 31 from Howth on Friday and Saturday nights, by teenagers swilling from naggins, then using said naggins as missiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭S Barrett

My Father used to be a driver on the 34`s back in the day and he remembers that one of the services going through Finglas West had a javelin thrown at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Back in the mid 90's any route through Tallaght got it's fare share of trouble. I used the 65 to Ballyknockan a fair bit back then.

It was a regular occurance in the late evening during winter months for the drivers to pull in at the Square and ask all passengers getting off between there and the Embankment to move to the front of the bus as he was switching off the interior lights to make the bus a smaller target!! It was almost a weekly if not daily occurance for a bus to be put out of service after having a windows smashed passing the Jobstown Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A friend of mine who was a driver was stuck up no less than three times working the 76, once with a gun and once with a blood filled syringe. He ended up quitting after the third assault due to his nerves and according to him he wasn't the only guy who was attacked on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I remember talking to drivers out of Ringsend before the screens went in some of the story's of what went on was horrific drivers where getting attacked for a £10 float. What's it like for them now? I assuming the autofare and screens have done away with much of that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Nothing to rob anymore I suppose with autofare and the panels,they were a very easy target before they went in though.

I remember the community meetings in Neilstown about the robberies in the early 90's where the drivers were threathening to stop buses in the area altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

Has to be the 123.

Smell of p1sh off some of them - rough stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Has to be the 123.

Smell of p1sh off some of them - rough stuff.
    No need for such gutter comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Haven't got the bus since the routes were changed but the 65B and 77 were dodgy at times.

Also the 40 or 40A I think it was. It went to Cardiffbtidge Road in Finglas.

Also the old 78A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Judging by curtailments over the past few months, the 40 seems to take the lead. There have been curtailments on other routes, of course, but maybe just the once, or rarely. It still doesn't stop Harristown allocating at least three/four EVs and a couple of VGs (or more) on it everyday. Even before the 40/78A merge, the 40s were operated fully by these classes, but was 'downgraded' some time before the merge. I have been on several 40s and 78As during the day, and apart from the usual hash smoking, Dutch Gold drinking types down the back, there was little or no trouble.

I do think every route suffers from some sort of antisocial behaviour at some point, rather than just the obvious ones, but yes, there are those given a bad name. I can't say I've ever witnessed much antisocial behaviour on the buses, but it annoys me when I learn of curtailments or whatever. Though, these aren't as a result of what's happening on the buses, but rather local scumbags causing trouble on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I would say the 220 could have the rights to the title of this thread...it goes through Ladyswell, Corduff, Finglas West, Finglas South, Poppintree & Ballymun.

It's an exciting ride I am sure. Got it a few times in Finglas going to Blanch, we gave it a nickname when younger as the "Unemployed Bus" due to the estates it went through :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Another vote for old 78A now the 40

My route and I hate it!

Though it's fine in the mornings, not as if many of the messers ever held down a job in their lives

One good thing about the 40 is we have newer buses. The 78A never had those

• Advertisement

I would have said the 220 too.been a few years now since been on it but was ...em exciting..

that or the 40.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 SeeHaaychDee

Have been getting the 84 for 15 years.

Saw people litter twice and possibly a third time. Couldn't be sure but I had to look away due to previous experience

I had to witness that. It's rare I get on public transport now.

Wicklow :rolleyes:

Advertisement