Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new cafe beside the dart station ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Merrilady wrote: »
    Great to see, and I wish them the very best.
    As an avid eater ( food lover to be precise) I have been disappointed in Greystones eateries over the last little while.

I would love to see them open early and closed a little later in the evening, just from a selfish point of view .. I love to walk after work and would enjoy nothing more than a local coffee to sip while pondering the world:rolleyes: but Greystones closes at 6pm.

Anyway, great to see a new business in these times, and agreed on what the shop "could" have been

agree 100%,i love a good coffee after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

agree 100%,i love a good coffee after work.

Congrats.great to see any new business opening up amid the current avalanche of job and businesses losses under the present governments austerity measures (petes of parnell st today..20 or so jobs gone) how much will your basic sit down coffee be priced at?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

An over priced coffee shop.... Hmmm just what we need...

They haven't put their prices up yet so how do you know its overpriced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know, us boardsies should flash mob one of the cafes and all stare at each other for the duration of the coffee - eyeing up each other's boards.ie nemesis!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

astrofluff wrote: »
    I know, us boardsies should flash mob one of the cafes and all stare at each other for the duration of the coffee - eyeing up each other's boards.ie nemesis!

I'd make mine a ristretto and get out quick so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Now that would make a great photo ;)

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Now that would make a great photo ;)

i know it was said in jest but wth lets do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

FirstIn wrote: »
    That's what I thought I initially. However what would you rather see?

Not sure what Id like to see there, My point being that the number of coffee shops in Greystones must be nearly in double figures at this stage..
    They haven't put their prices up yet so how do you know its overpriced?

It was quoted that they're going to be like Avoca/romany stone...
    Nuff said..

Perhaps a shop selling kettles would do well there..:D

Not sure what Id like to see there, My point being that the number of coffee shops in Greystones must be nearly in double figures at this stage..

It was quoted that they're going to be like Avoca/romany stone...
    Nuff said..

Perhaps a shop selling kettles would do well there..:D

Yeah, someone on here speculated that it would be like avoca/Romany stone. Maybe wait till the place actually opens before you trash it.

Fwiw, I also agree with a previous poster that the restaurants in Greystones are overrated. You can get a consistently good meal in avoca for the same price you'd pay for an average quality meal in Greystones. But hey, it's fashionable to complain about avoca.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

I say fair play to the owners.
    They've obviously thought about what they're doing, putting money and time into the new businesses, and like any other new business in Greystones, I think the locals should try and support them.
    I hope they start out well, as we've seen with other establishments, it's hard to recover from negative reviews, bad customer service etc etc.

I hope the coffee is good, I find the coffee in Romany stone a complete disaster. I've tried it three times and have put forward my views on how bad it is. I won't be returning there, unless I'm going to the bakery (which is fantastic !!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

I hope this doesn't turn into another Mrs Robinsons trend, where every single mistake is outlined again and again! No matter how many restaurant, eateries or coffee shops are around, if somewhere with good food opens it will, no doubt, do well. If you think about it, most have something individual to offer.

Chakra - Excellent food and service!
    the Happy Pear - Vegetarian and alternative
    The 3 Qs - The best BLT around
    Avoca - dependably good food!
    New place in Delgany - well the bakery is the best bread around!
    The Beech Tree in Kilquade - Super for kids and best sandwiches out of anywhere!
    Mrs Robinsons - one of the only places with a bar & restaurant
    Cavistons - good for fish

Etc etc etc..

No doubt this place will have its own character and find its place in the community. Looking forward to seeing what it has to offer and as many have pointed out, if it doesn't work it won't last, which hopefully won't be the case.

I would love a trend where everyone gives recommendations on the best spots to eat, drinks etc. that would be great. Especially as sometimes you can go to places all the time but have never tried something and could be missing out! :):) I just love fooooooood!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Maybe a better way of attracting boardsies to a coffee shop flash mob would be for the MODS to close any of the more "interesting" threads and state that all further discussion will be held in a particular coffee shop at a particular time.

We could even have a weekly plan ...

Monday evening (after work discussion) in Insomnia - "How Sispar has made a mess of the harbour, with special guests from WCC"
    Tuesday morning - Homans - "Car clamping in Charlesland"
    Wednesday - 3Q's - "Dog Walking and Dog walker types"
    Thursday - Costa - "Why we should all rise up against the McD planning application"
    Friday - Cafe delle Stelle - "Outsiders leaving litter on the Beach"
    Saturday - Happy Pear - (Weekend multi choice round) - "Why Mrs Robinsons/Burnaby is the best/worst pub in town"
    Sunday - Cafe Gray - "Why there are too many Coffee Shops/Restaurants in Greystones"

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Would you introduce yourself as Astrofluff?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daniel.otoole

does the owner have an email address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Few pubs are needed, not this Cr*p.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Think it's great to see any new business take the plunge right now.
    Looking forward to popping in and trying an americano.

Names familiar but I can't think why - as someone who regularly forgets his colleagues names though that doesn't come as a shocker.

Have spoken to one or two of the other cafe owners, finding it a bit tough at the moment, possibly due to the weather but hoping that things will turn around once the schools are back in and folk have more free time - if you can call it that.

Mahogany wrote: »

joke of a post imo,the fact that it's not a pub is great and probably sums up the sort of people living in the area.
    Even better is the fact that a bookies(and what an eyesore)closed in this spot.

My only main gripe is parking,i hate paying €6 or so for a few coffees and another euro on parking.
    I know i can go down to Shoreline now as they have the Happy Pear but i prefer to go to the town.
    If you want more pubs go to Bray.
    Btw, pubs in general are in really big trouble and with mrs R bucking that trend i don't think a pub would be great there.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

joke of a post imo,the fact that it's not a pub is great and probably sums up the sort of people living in the area.

My only main gripe is parking,i hate paying €6 or so for a few coffees and another euro on parking.
    I know i can go down to Shoreline now as they have the Happy Pear but i prefer to go to the town.
    Btw, pubs in general are in really big trouble and with mrs R bucking that trend i don't think a pub would be great there.

We live here and would like more pubs! and we don't want to go to Bray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

i know it was said in jest but wth lets do it

Im in..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Free Parking down the Harbour or at the Park & Ride Short Walk in for the Sake of the Euro, Meridan is pretty Reasonable wouldnt spend more than 2hrs in the Town at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bonstie

I heard it is owned by Caroline and her brother earl but he's not my cup of tea at all

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shaviebeby

Mahogany wrote: »

Pipe down!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

The park and ride is free,and only down the road

abacus120 wrote: »
    The park and ride is free,and only down the road

That's great if ur not in a rush

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

That's great if ur not in a rush

if I was in that much of a rush I wouldn't bother going for a coffee.

if I was in that much of a rush I wouldn't bother going for a coffee.

That doesn't make sense,i can park across from vino,pop in for a coffee and off I go.
    I don't have time to walk up and back from the park and ride.,it may be only down the road but it's 10 mins added on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

That doesn't make sense,i can park across from vino,pop in for a coffee and off I go.
    I don't have time to walk up and back from the park and ride.,it may be only down the road but it's 10 mins added on
    If you're only having a "quick" coffee because you're in a rush, 30 cents will get you almost 20 minutes of parking. Hardly an imposition if you're in such a hurry.

Pay and display parking is one of the best things to happen to the village. Perhaps not so cool on Saturdays, and it shouldn't be there at the weekend at all, but when one considers the way folks used to park prior to the introduction of P&D and parking wardens, I'm happy to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Eponymous wrote: »
    If you're only having a "quick" coffee because you're in a rush, 30 cents will get you almost 20 minutes of parking. Hardly an imposition if you're in such a hurry.

Pay and display parking is one of the best things to happen to the village. Perhaps not so cool on Saturdays, and it shouldn't be there at the weekend at all, but when one considers the way folks used to park prior to the introduction of P&D and parking wardens, I'm happy to pay.

You can actually park your car for up to 10mins before you need to pay. I learnt this from the parking inspector who was taking a pic of my mum's car while I ran off to Eugenes to get a rubbish bag. :D

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    You can actually park your car for up to 10mins before you need to pay. I learnt this from the parking inspector who was taking a pic of my mum's car while I ran off to Eugenes to get a rubbish bag. :D

Same with the car park behind the burnaby (and I presume SuperValu as its the same company afaik). I came back to my car after ten minutes to see the car park guy sitting in his van. He had put a notice on my window that I was going to be clamped but he was happy enough to take it off and tell me that there wasn't anything he could do until the 15 minute grace period expired.

Advertisement