Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about framerate and resolution in video games?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I'm curious if the majority of people really care about framerate in video games? From reading various threads it seems like a lot of people are expecting the standard this generation to be 1080p and 60fps. Going by the launch line up, on both consoles this simply won't be the case. Maybe in a year it will after developers get more comfortable with the new hardware.

It was confirmed that Killzone: Shadow Fall will run at 30fps in single player and 60fps in multiplayer. The racing game from UbiSoft, The Crew will be at 30fps as will NFS:Rivals. I don't think it has been confirmed what DriveClub will be, other than they said they are 'targeting' 60fps.

Battlefield 4 is running at 60fps but not at 1080p. CoD: Ghosts will run at 60fps as usual but that game does not look nearly as impressive as Killzone.

For me personally I'm not too concerned about framerate. I would take more detail over the higher fps. The one exception for me might be racing games. Playing WipeOut HD was silky smooth at 60fps. I'd like that as standard for racing. For other types of games I just don't notice. I heard all the complaints about Far Cry 3 and Saints Row 3 on console but I never really noticed fluctuating framerates.

What about everyone else? Does it matter to you?

Also lets try to keep the 'just play on PC' comments to a minimum please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Also lets try to keep the 'just play on PC' comments to a minimum please.

you cant have a discussion about frame rate and resolution with out mentioning playing on pc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I don't really don't mind that much whether it's 30 or 60fps, except in certain genres where the higher frame rate can be important, as long as it's stable. It's the frame rate jumping up and down that really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

returnNull wrote: »
    you cant have a discussion about frame rate and resolution with out mentioning playing on pc!

That's true. I just meant don't boil it down to simply play it on a PC.

That's true. I just meant don't boil it down to simply play it on a PC.

ah yeah Josey I know what you meant.

Wasnt a massive console gamer but did notice quiet a bit of judder when playing demon/dark souls.Would prefer that they would limit the FPS to make it run better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd take a constant, smooth, stable frame rate any day over his res and detail. But then you also have screen tearing from using V sync to lock in frame rates. The frame rate moving up and down and causing a game to stutter ruins the experience imo, while having the odd flat texture here and there is the distance doesn't so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I also don't really care whether something is 30 or 60fps. However when the framerate jumps around it can feel quite jarring. I think 60fps is a nice box-quote, similar to the megapixels arms race in photography. I can see how it might improve online games where reactions times are important, but I don't care myself. Same for 1080p. I have played plenty of 720p games that have looked great. Good art design is far more important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

On PC obviously resolution is very important, I've had rare examples of games where none of the supported resolutions matched my screen, making the game all but unplayable.

720p vs 1080p, tbh makes little difference to me. As others have said, art style is more important. Okami looks amazingly good for example and it's not 60Hz 1080p 16xAA HDR ambient occlusion blah blah blah*.

30hz vs 60hz, again I don't think it makes a huge difference to me unless the game noticeably judders or something. If the game looks smooth then I'm happy enough.

*it might be some of that stuff, I don't actually have any idea, you get my point!.

The only real time FPS matters to me is playing a multiplayer game on a PC. Low FPS can get you killed in a first person shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

FPS matters but I don't mind that much as long as it's stable. Nothing worse then it jumping up and down the place.
    Art style matters more then resolution. Id rather an interesting looking game then how many pixels are on that building like all the other buildings.

Looking at the threads about new consoles is seriously getting painful though. Bitching about demanding perfect 1080p and locked 60fps on brand new consoles 1st games when the reality is if the game is good theyre barely going to notice. Its like a giant pointless technical micky swing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I care about FOV almost as much in any first or third person game. There's always a bunch of resolution settings for pc games, so that usually doesnt concern me, fps only annoys me when it drops to a number where i can visually see distortions or graphic lag, but then that generally depends on the game too.

Shogun 2 for instance, my card just cant handle a good framerate with thousands of units on screen at the same time, so that is an annoyance but more so to do with having a 4 year old mid-range video card, that said the game is still playable and enjoyable at low fps. It just has so much more potential with higher fps. Some of the immersion of the game (for me) is taken away when you get chop/stutters or slowdown midway through an epic siege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Resolution doesn't bother me nowhere near as choppy, stuttering FPS does. I do prefer 60fps but I don't care if a game is actually 30fps, just as long as it doesn't run into trouble maintaining it.

On older hardware I always knew in a game when an event was coming because the frames would get momentarily get choppy, always ruined the element of surprise. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd much rather 60 FPS over 30 FPS and even at that most games can't hold 30 FPS.

Resolution isn't a big deal but 30 FPS really negatively impacts how a game plays. I'm really sick of games at 30 FPS on console because the controls are just so sluggish. It's even worse when you have a game with deffered rendering and triple buffering or v-sync enabled since it introduces so much lag into the controls.

When you play something at 60 FPS like Bayonetta or else a game on the PC it plays so much better than on console.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

FPS matters for me most in a fast moving game, detail is secondary.

Altho i do like pretty games so for instance Arma 3 is best looking game ever, it would be unplayable at less than 30 fps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes generally once you go up you do not want to go back as it looks and feels much better. Currently at 27" 1440p 120hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

people who are like "no way man youre an idiot if you play at 30 if you want to be *SERIOUS* about competition 60+ is the only acceptable way"

**** off dude I just killed you 2:1

Overheal wrote: »

**** off dude I just killed you 2:1
    and dont forget if you're on PC tell him you were using a pad too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, pc gaming did spoiled me in all these years and 720p on 42inch TV looks like ****. It really does. As long as developers can do 1080p with locked 30fps on next gen then I am happy bunny.
    The only games that I just have to have 60fps - Racing games. Sorry, but racing games are about sense of speed and lower then 60fps make it really bad. I am really excited about GT6 managing to pull off 60fps on 1080p, fair play to devs to push out so much power out of ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,910 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Doesn't bother me as long as it's not noticeable and affects the game. I remember the get frame rates in games like pong and Pac man as well as on systems like the spectrum 128k. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Here's an interesting fact: When the COD games go over 125fps, you can jump higher.

Yeah, 60fps is always the desired rate for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Framerates depend on the game. Competitive shooters like CS or Quake, i wouldn't play on anything less than 100fps. Bit of fun casual shooting like BF3, 60 fps is fine. Most other games are usually fine with a solid 30 i guess but 60 is much better.

One of the biggest turn offs for me when playing some games on console (AC, UC and even darksouls) is the horrible frame rates and slowdown that comes with it. Resolution isn't as big of an issue, but obviously the difference is huge between say 720 and 1080p or higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

How a game looks isn't nearly as important as how many frames per second the game is running at. On PC its fine cause i have a powerful PC to play games at 60+ FPS with mostly maxed out GFX settings.

Dragons Dogma comes to mind of a console game that i was really enjoying for the first 2-3 hours or so but the abysmal FPS made me trade it in the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The type of games I play aren't especially sensitive to fps so can't say I'd notice. 1080p or not wouldn't bother me. People fixated with those things tend to channel that into something or other down through the generations, I've long since accepted that there are people more interested in the technological aspects of gaming than the actual enjoyment from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

512x384 all the way baby

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Downlinz wrote: »
    The type of games I play aren't especially sensitive to fps so can't say I'd notice. 1080p or not wouldn't bother me. People fixated with those things tend to channel that into something or other down through the generations, I've long since accepted that there are people more interested in the technological aspects of gaming than the actual enjoyment from it.

Trust me 60+ fps at 1080+ enhances the enjoyment of any game immensely.
    Im sorry but i simply cannot play anything less than 1080 and 60 fps,1080 being the mimimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Dcully wrote: »
    Im sorry but i simply cannot play anything less than 1080 and 60 fps,1080 being the mimimum.

I trust that this is what you believe, I certainly don't agree with it. You have a warped view of gaming if you consider highend graphics and smoothness baseline requirements for enjoyment.

Unfortunately that must mean you miss out on some amazing games. I'm thinking of great games on the 3DS or Vita. Or terrific Sony exclusive games like Uncharted 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You couldnt be more wrong guys,i play more indie games than i do AAA titles simply because to me they offer more gameplay and are a lot more interesting.
    My point is simple ,take an already great game in terms of gameplay add in smooth framerate and high resolution and the result is an even beter experience.
    How can you fail to see that?

Im talking PC and consoles here, handheld devices are totally different ofcourse.

You couldnt be more wrong guys,i play more indie games than i do AAA titles simply because to me they offer more gameplay and are a lot more interesting.
    My point is simple ,take an already great game in terms of gameplay add in smooth framerate and high resolution and the result is an even beter experience.
    How can you fail to see that?

Im talking PC and consoles here, handheld devices are totally different ofcourse.

Well you just said you couldn't bring yourself to play a game with anything less than 60fps/1080p. You didn't say if it was indie or otherwise.

Also, I can appreciate that 1080p makes a game look great but unless it is a racing game I don't notice the benefit of 60 over 30 fps. So for me personally, I'll take more detail in the visuals and settle for lower fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

smoothness is everything for me, so i play at 60fps @ 5870x1080. I'll lower settings if i have to until its locked at 60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I remember skyrim on my ps3 now that was unplayable fps >_< I felt much better after i acquired it for my pc with its dlc as compensation.

Advertisement