Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you stand on the political compass?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You're more of a leftist liberal than I am. Who'd have thought it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

For all the fellow Lefties and Red's -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Where do you stand?

03[/url]

North by Northwest:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

^
    Speaking of Mao Tse Tung...

Fun(?) fact, more people have died under Communism than Nazism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I said anarcho-capitalism has the best chance of consistent success,

What you did was dismiss real world examples of anarchic organisation (that happened to be leftist) and instead decided that your view on anarcho-capitalism (which has no precedent) has the best chance of consistent success.

What this displays is dogmatic adherence to unproven economic concepts which is pretty much par-for-the-course when it comes to purveyors of free market ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

The problem I have with the test is that it just positions a variety of policies and soundbites on a chart without looking at either the philosophical underpinnings or the further implications of these.

For example the question on from each according to their abilities to each according to their means as presented on the quiz neglects the further understanding of this from a variety of left positions.

The question on charity does not suggest alternatives or reasons why charity could be considered as inadequate as a form of social support - so I could strongly disagree with the idea of charity as it draws from a paternalistic relationship between the giver and the recipient, is a fashion accessory or a provides a sense of self gratification for the charitable party etc., or is simply not a reliable source of relief for those in need.

In both these cases the underlying assumptions should impact the positioning on the compass.

Edit: That said I think it correctly identifies me as an anarchist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd love to know which answer those who appear to be very far on the right gave to those questions.. and see them try to explain and justify why they gave those answers. Honestly, you'd need to be full blown retard to agree with the second one.

Well, if you don't like employment, investment, choice of consumer products, research&development, and so on and so forth...
    They're only successful if they're selling things people want and need

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well, if you don't like employment, investment, choice of consumer products, research&development, and so on and so forth...
    They're only successful if they're selling things people want and need

That's not the question though, and I've a feeling that particular one is there as a kind of filter.
    What's good for the most successful corporations is always, ultimately, good for all of us.

That's invariably and demonstrably untrue. There are countless examples of when decisions made to suit massive corporations have had a hugely negative impact on populations.. sometimes even resulting in death and destruction of environments. Bhopal..(just one of perhaps hundreds of examples)? Lack of regulation and proper inspection is the main cause for what happened there. It suited Union Carbide because it saved them money in the short term.. yet people are feeling the effects of what happened as a result even today.

It's an asinine proposition, and saying things like "if you don't like employment" etc; is a very weak defence of it... fallacious even.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Liberal leftie here. Pretty much dead centre of the green rectangle. Just like I was the last time, so fairly consistent, which is good.

I'm always amused how the "wrong" wing is referred to as the right wing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

saying things like "if you don't like employment" etc; is a very weak defence of it... fallacious even.

Perhaps - I am not in the mood for serious argument, but I don't like "you have to be a retard to disagree with me" either. How's that for fallacious :)
    There are countless examples of when decisions made to suit massive corporations have had a hugely negative impact on populations.. sometimes even resulting in death and destruction of environments. Bhopal.
    Sliding over incompetence isn't really "good" for a corp now, is it? And the disaster didn't exactly make them successful, either.
    "Promotions were halted, seriously affecting employee morale and driving some of the most skilled ... elsewhere".[14] Workers were forced to use English manuals, even though only a few had a grasp of the language"
    Does that sound like a successful corp to you? Not to me it doesn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 lmcs91

I'm with Ghandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

An unusual mix of Obama and Mandela. And I'm whiter than a milk bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Me

Any Anarcho-Communist soulmates? I was a bit surprised, but then it is American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Me

Any Anarcho-Communist soulmates? I was a bit surprised, but then it is American.

We are close.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Me

As expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-0.38&soc=-4.36

According to your picture I'm in the activism square apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sliding over incompetence isn't really "good" for a corp now, is it? And the disaster didn't exactly make them successful, either.

Such a blithe attitude to mass manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sandwiched between Mandela and the Dalai Lama

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-3.75&soc=-1.79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'm some form of anarchist, it would seem:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-8.38&soc=-7.85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

This quiz here is way more accurate!

http://quizfarm.com/quizzes/new/ivyclarice/which-nazi-leader-are-you/

Seriously though, I don't find the political compass quiz really works that well in terms of the Liberal/Authoritarian axis. In fact the quiz its self is a bit shoddy, its not particularly relevant now but this is an example of how to do this types of quizzes better.

http://www.euprofiler.eu/

My completely inaccurate results are

Economic Left/Right: -5.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21

Which isn't because because I am middle of the road in terms of Liberal/Authoritarian axis but rather because I swing wildly between the two on various issues :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Bottom left square last time i checked, but not far from the centre. That was a few years ago and I'm blue in the face from filling the survey in.

Authoritarianism and Corporation-worshipping are finally dieing going by the results coming in but I suspected this for a while. No massive swing to the right even mid-recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Authoritarianism and Corporation-worshipping are finally dieing going by the results coming in but I suspected this for a while. No massive swing to the right even mid-recession
    This is a personal quiz, not a "what would work best for the economy and the country as a whole" quiz. People who work in the financial sector (investors, CEO's etc.) would predominately be in the purple/blue sector, as they work in a capitalist country and know how it all works (and capitalism works best)

I think if the people here read some of the books I previously mentioned their opinions would change. I used to be in the middle green until i actually went and read books, watched videos etc. on how economies and world systems work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

This is a personal quiz, not a "what would work best for the economy and the country as a whole" quiz. People who work in the financial sector (investors, CEO's etc.) would predominately be in the purple/blue sector, as they work in a capitalist country and know how it all works (and capitalism works best)

I think if the people here read some of the books I previously mentioned their opinions would change. I used to be in the middle green until i actually went and read books, watched videos etc. on how economies and world systems work.

Maybe if you master the art of getting capitalism to work for you as in gambling on the right shares, creating money out of thin air and charging interest on it, flogging cheap rubbish from china for 5x the price. Then you might even become a supporter of the system but most people doing that should realise there is only room for a certain percentage of the population to fully reap the rewards of this.

Even most CEO's would be glad to have the dole to fall back on if their company goes titsup.

Also whatever about economic rightism dieing whats almost more important is that the asociated authoritarian streaks (warmongering, homophobia, controlling peoples private lives for the sake of it and blatant disregard for human life) are on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Benny_Cake wrote: »

Lol Benny so am I, somewhere under and to the left of the Dali Lama.
    It'll be the Christian Brothers schooling wot did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-7.50&soc=-2.36

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.36

Usually I describe myself as right wing on law & order, left on social issues.

Just because I oppose the power of globalist corporations over nations & people whilst in comparison I would welcome the death penalty for very serious crimes, doesn't make me an extreme leftist. :D

I also consider Che Guevara a terrorist much to the horror of some marxist friends :eek:

This test is flawed unless it's an american version which then makes every overseas person a left wing lunatic :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement