Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA star held in €490k drug raid

Options
  • 23-08-2013 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Be interesting to see if this players contacts/reputation gets him a lighter conviction if any!!

Before the usual suspects jump in to defend this person weather the players is the bloody president he should be held accountable for his action and not get away with it due to being a GAA players or has a Garda Sargent for a father!!

So many silly stories of people in public light getting away with crimes due to being ' A good person and he plays sport of him family are this and that'

Its all bollox if you ask me, if your in a position of Authority or a high profile public figure you should be hit harder by the law as you are a model for other citizens. How can child per say look up to a GAA drug dealer who gets away with it because of his status!!

** The above is speculation and general comments about past convictions of others and not a representation of every case or public figure and does not necessarily mean the person will be set free or receive a light sentence **

A prominent GAA players is among four suspects detained by gardai after a big drugs bust in the capital.

Gardai seized a total of 24.5kg of cannabis herb after a lengthy surveillance operation. The drugs have an estimated street value of €490,000. Gardai also recovered more than €30,000 in cash.
    The GAA club star, who is in his late 30s and from south Dublin, was arrested following the seizures, along with three others, believed to be Polish.
    Detectives stopped a car initially at Kylemore Road in Ballyfermot and seized one kilo of cannabis herb.
    The three foreign nationals were detained there and taken for questioning to Ballyfermot garda station where they can be held for seven days.
    Shortly afterwards, officers stopped and searched a van at Clonsilla Road and detained the GAA figure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I wonder was he the big spoon or the little spoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Hopefully he won't use his contacts to sliotar out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

No, somebody shouldn't be hit harder by the law if they are a high profile public figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Henlars67 wrote: »
    No, somebody shouldn't be hit harder by the law if they are a high profile public figure.

Tabloids will be missing a gold opportunity if they don't run with a Clash of the Hash headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

star? would have expected at least intercounty..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

As a Kerryman here's me hoping that it is one of the Dublin intercounty football players. Doubt it though !!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭baldbear

Star me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

baldbear wrote: »
    Star me hole.

You mean it's Kieran Donaghey, now we're rightly fuc*ed !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Be interesting to see if this players contacts/reputation gets him a lighter conviction if any!!

Before the usual suspects jump in to defend this person weather the players is the bloody president he should be held accountable for his action and not get away with it due to being a GAA players or has a Garda Sargent for a father!!

So many silly stories of people in public light getting away with crimes due to being ' A good person and he plays sport of him family are this and that'

Its all bollox if you ask me, if your in a position of Authority or a high profile public figure you should be hit harder by the law as you are a model for other citizens. How can child per say look up to a GAA drug dealer who gets away with it because of his status!!

** The above is speculation and general comments about past convictions of others and not a representation of every case or public figure and does not necessarily mean the person will be set free or receive a light sentence **

A prominent GAA players is among four suspects detained by gardai after a big drugs bust in the capital.

Gardai seized a total of 24.5kg of cannabis herb after a lengthy surveillance operation. The drugs have an estimated street value of €490,000. Gardai also recovered more than €30,000 in cash.
    The GAA club star, who is in his late 30s and from south Dublin, was arrested following the seizures, along with three others, believed to be Polish.
    Detectives stopped a car initially at Kylemore Road in Ballyfermot and seized one kilo of cannabis herb.
    The three foreign nationals were detained there and taken for questioning to Ballyfermot garda station where they can be held for seven days.
    Shortly afterwards, officers stopped and searched a van at Clonsilla Road and detained the GAA figure.

His profession is'nt GAA so this is why people get defensive about GAA players. Maybe he plays golf - why isnt he labeled as "Golf player" .

The man is in his late 30's so he more than likely , no longer plays at inter county level - its this sensationalist bull**** that's helping the Irish Independent sink as low as some of red tops.

As for people getting off due to being a GAA player ...give me a break - its a land of who you know, whether you know the person through GAA or tiddly winks or the pub is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

youtheman wrote: »
    As a Kerryman here's me hoping that it is one of the Dublin intercounty football players. Doubt it though !!!!.
    Late 30's? If it is an intercounty, it has to be a former intercounty player, right?

I would have thought Cluxton is one of the oldest @ 31?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

he will need to get mickey harte to send a letter in on his behalf :P anyway we will wait and see , who knows it could be a player long retired , we will have to see what happens next

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Calling a late 30s club player a "GAA star" is the same as calling me a "rugby legend" because I scored a try in a charity 7s match last summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does anyone know why AnGarda released this selective information to the media?

i remember back in the late 90s, i think it might have been the sunday world , they rang a story about dessie farrell caught drink driving and the SW got a very bad reaction to it as dessie was going through a tough time in his life at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

snubbleste wrote: »
    Officially the Gardai tend not to release this info, they simply say that X no of men and women aged Y to Z were arrested on suspicion of such-and-such a crime.

Journalists have plenty of loose-lipped contacts in the Gardai who will tell them unofficially that Joe Bloggs was one of those arrested.

The media then publish this information in way that makes it nearly possible to identify the person involved but without explicitly identifying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sure lookit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Calling a late 30s club player a "GAA star" is the same as calling me a "rugby legend" because I scored a try in a charity 7s match last summer.

I could be called a rugby legend too.
    The last time I scored a try it was four points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

snubbleste wrote: »

Because they're the greatest mob of all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

seamus wrote: »

Joe Bloggs was one of those arrested.

some say Joe was one of the greatest players of his generation to have never played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

They normally don't release these details unless you are Clare Daly or someone who's pissed off the cops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

We don't know if he's an intercounty player or not. Bit I bet he isn't.

Indo is getting more tabloid by the day. They should just stick a red top on it and stop pretending.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

i remember back in the late 90s, i think it might have been the sunday world , they rang a story about dessie farrell caught drink driving and the SW got a very bad reaction to it as dessie was going through a tough time in his life at the time
    Yep, his wife had just found out he was shagging another woman.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 victorgiraffe

Yet another reason that marijuana should be legalized and regulated. Former GAA players could open Cannabis Cafes in their hometowns once they retired. They could deck them out in memorabilia and it could be a place where the whole community could chill out. Instead our amateur sports stars are forced into sordid clandestine dealings. Wake up sheeple, we need to free the weed asap

some say Joe was one of the greatest players of his generation to have never played the game.

im glad it wasnt' joe brolly, where would be without his analysis on tyrone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 ceruleanblue

Junior wrote: »
    They normally don't release these details unless you are Clare Daly or someone who's pissed off the cops.

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I blame hawkeye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Sure lookit I was caught with a bit of hashish..Sure tis long as Im representing the parish in our beautiful game tis all that matters like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The poor GAA players, this is why we should be paying them. Sellin' drugs robbin' biscuits and rent-boyin' they are Joe, and no wonder.
    seamus wrote: »
    Late 30's? If it is an intercounty, it has to be a former intercounty player, right?

I would have thought Cluxton is one of the oldest @ 31?

Good at keeping his mouth shut at least. Stevie tight-lips they call him in the biz.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Mickey Harte is busy enough this weekend without this happening aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

anncoates wrote: »
    Tabloids will be missing a gold opportunity if they don't run with a Clash of the Hash headline.

:D Hawkeye cops don't miss opportunity to nab GAA star

Advertisement