Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality Non-Smart, Non-Touchscreen Mobile

Options
  • 22-08-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I can't stand touchscreen phones and have no need for a smart phone - I just phone and text!

Are the sort of phones I like a thing of the past at this stage? Nokia used to make quality 'ordinary' phones, but the ones currently available are all very cheap and plasticky.

Does anyone know of a high-quality 'ordinary' mobile that you can buy new and sim free?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Nokia ones seem to be the only real option in Ireland. A few "old folks" phones from Doro and Emporia. And that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

eBay is probably your best bet these days. Why not look up models you used to have and liked and see if you can still get them?

The 6310i - probably the best phone Nokia made - is still going strong in the 2nd hand market for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Picked up an N82 on adverts.ie for about 60 euro for herself. She's over the moon to be back on physical T9 after a series of touchscreens.

long_b wrote: »
    Picked up an N82 on adverts.ie for about 60 euro for herself. She's over the moon to be back on physical T9 after a series of touchscreens.

N82 is a fairly big old smartphone. Nip what OP is looking for.

Think that there would still be a fairly big market. for a high quality dumbphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Look for the Nokia 6700 chrome. Nice classy phone.

• Advertisement

Faze11 wrote: »

It is. But it is now out of production and not sure it was ever available in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Aidenwyatt

Nokia 2310. But don't know whether it is available in the market or not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

JCB Toughphone...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

All prices SIM / NETWORK FREE

Nokia Asha 202 @ €71
    Nokia Asha 300 @ €103

Doro 615 @ £111
    Doro 612 @ £88
    Doro 715 @ £87

TTfone Neptune @ £20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Faze11 wrote: »

Solid phone if it worked, had a board on mine replaced twice still same issue white screen when you turn it on nothing else. :mad:

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    Solid phone if it worked, had a board on mine replaced twice still same issue white screen when you turn it on nothing else. :mad:

As far as I can remember Vodafone said that they would not be offering it because it hadn't passed their testing.

RangeR wrote: »
    All prices SIM / NETWORK FREE

Nokia Asha 202 @ €71
    Nokia Asha 300 @ €103

Doro 615 @ £111
    [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro-PhoneEasy-612-Mobile-
    Phone/dp/B00A4FOH3W/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377601408&sr=1-12&keywords=doro+mobile"]Doro 612[/URL] @ £88
    Doro 715 @ £87

TTfone Neptune @ £20

The Ashas are more cheap smartphones than dumbphones.

Doros are very much designed for and aimed at old people although they are good phones for what they are. Big buttons, simple to operate and hearing aid compatible.

Aidenwyatt wrote: »
    Nokia 2310. But don't know whether it is available in the market or not..

A very basic Nokia now discontinued that was aimed at the third world market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My Dad had the Asha and hated it! Worst of both worlds!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

C2-01

or

Nokia 100

Both will do the the job and will last.

By the way I am in same position as OP. I have had a Galaxy and an iPhone and now just want a basic phone. Would pay €800 for a good quality dumbphone but resigned to an old Nokia as there is nothing else available. This is not about price but rather about a quality option for those who would prefer a dumbphone by choice.

So not looking for cheap smartphone or old discontinued nokias on eBay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

regress wrote: »
    So not looking for cheap smartphone or old discontinued nokias on eBay.

If it does the job why not?

Davy wrote: »
    If it does the job why not?

It does the job. And old Nokias are actually fine. Just wondering why nobody has made a premium high qualiy dumbphone as I think there is a big market for a phone like that. Diamond encrusted would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Gonna chime in with the Nokia C3, inexpensive, really good battery, built like a tank, the qwerty is handy for texting and all the buttons are clicky and responsive.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c3-3269.php

It does the job. And old Nokias are actually fine. Just wondering why nobody has made a premium high qualiy dumbphone as I think there is a big market for a phone like that. Diamond encrusted would be nice.

So want style rather than substance then? :pac:

Its just a matter of going through the options of what you do and don't want. You can still get a so called smartphone that is good quality, can look the part and just use for calls and texts, and cover in any case you want. But an old S40 can do the same job if you are happy with it in a diamond covered case. Just most people wouldn't want it because of the age.

• Advertisement

was.deevey wrote: »
    Gonna chime in with the Nokia C3, inexpensive, really good battery, built like a tank, the qwerty is handy for texting and all the buttons are clicky and responsive.

E63, E72 are more or less the same and built well. Slightly older tho

So want style rather than substance then? :pac:

Well no. That was a joke. I'm not looking to impress anyone. Just wondering why there isn't an option for those who want a high quality dumbphone.

There are reasons why many people would prefer not to have a smartphone and it is by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

But an old S40 can do the same job if you are happy with it in a diamond covered case.

If anyone actually wants one of these things, there's always the Vertu Signature. You'll have to ask for a quote, but a quick web search suggests a diamondless model goes for approx $20,000. After that, the sky's the limit.
    Well no. That was a joke. I'm not looking to impress anyone. Just wondering why there isn't an option for those who want a high quality dumbphone.

In my own opinion, improved data is the focus of 3G and beyond. Since operators aren't able to get much money out of non-smart phones (i.e. people won't buy data and other add-on services), the operators (who have considerable sway over the types of handsets being produced) won't demand them any more and as a result their manufacture has decreased.

Agreed - Better Specs, But the OP did say he wanted a Dumbphone Specifically though.

Well. It has long been discontinued and replacef by Asha smartphined but I think it was a cheap smartphone.

If anyone actually wants one of these things, there's always the Vertu Signature. You'll have to ask for a quote, but a quick web search suggests a diamondless model goes for approx $20,000. After that, the sky's the limit.

In my own opinion, improved data is the focus of 3G and beyond. Since operators aren't able to get much money out of non-smart phones (i.e. people won't buy data and other add-on services), the operators (who have considerable sway over the types of handsets being produced) won't demand them any more and as a result their manufacture has decreased.

This may be. a reason. There is definitely a market that is being ignored. Maybe in an attempt to push them I to buying smartphone. On 24 month contracts.

OP did say he wanted a Dumbphone Specifically though.

Define dumpphone or smartphone?

Its only a marketing gimmick to charge more. A so called smartphone is just a phone, with more bits and pieces than normal. Call it smart and they can charge the €700.

Once again. This is not about cheap or old smartphones.

Define dumpphone or smartphone?.

Excellent question that goes to the heart of the matter. Dumbphone should have no Internet access. I would still like a dumbphone though with a good quality camera, maps and access to e-mail. Just don't. Want the twrtemptatiin of the Internet.

• Advertisement

Dumbphone should have no Internet access. I would still like a dumbphone though with a good quality camera, maps and access to e-mail.

If you have maps and email you will have access to the internet ... so you really want a "not-so-smart" phone rather than a dumb phone.

Just get a phone with a browser so bad you couldn't be arsed.

N95 .. old but does the trick, decent maps email and takes better photos even compared to more modern phones.
    Well. It has long been discontinued and replacef by Asha smartphined but I think it was a cheap smartphone.

Didn't realize it had been discontinued, but trust me it was pretty dumb with very basic functions, no apps to speak of whatsoever, a crap mobile browser (which could not be updated) and wi-fi that was really only any use for receiving mail.
    Define dumpphone or smartphone?

I think where the line is drawn is in that with a smartphone you aren't stuck with whatever happens to be preloaded when you buy it.

A with dumb phone comes with software pre-loaded and will run Java Apps if you are lucky at best.

Advertisement