Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government lock up granny for non payment of fine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

None of the background stuff is relevent and should not impact on the decision. She has over 4k of fines due and won't pay despite havingh years to do so. Sounds like the right decision to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm beginning to get weary about the use of bankers and developers getting away with as an excuse for everything. Simple thing is this lady or any bankers or developers who broke laws should be equally prosecuted.

But the problem is that many of those essentially haven't broken any laws because we didn't create laws that send people to jail for causing a bailout.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 LuisSuarezLFC

None of the background stuff is relevent and should not impact on the decision. She has over 4k of fines due and won't pay despite havingh years to do so. Sounds like the right decision to me.

Eh why aren't the bankers in jail they screwed us out if 10s of billions. Their the ones the government should be after not grannies who owe 4k which is pocket change in comparison to the banks.

The government are going after the ordinary joe soap

Eh why aren't the bankers in jail they screwed us out if 10s of billions. Their the ones the government should be after not grannies who owe 4k which is pocket change in comparison to the banks.

The bankers didn't screw us out of billions, our government at the time did that in guaranteeing the banks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you can answer three questions, I'll agree with you completely.

Can you cite the laws that we could prosecute the bankers under?

How exactly do "Governement lock up granny", was she sentenced in the Dáil?

If this granny's fine was quashed, why would anybody bother paying any fines in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The whys and wherefores to one side, is a prison sentence appropriate? They couldn't have given her community service? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

mod9maple wrote: »
    The whys and wherefores to one side, is a prison sentence appropriate? They couldn't have given her community service? :confused:

It is mad to be locking up people over non payment of fines. I think an hour community service per euro owed would be a much fairer system primarily because locking someone up costs us a fortune.

To the op, we can only prosecute people for crimes that they have committed. You can't prosecute someone if they can't be charged with something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mod9maple wrote: »

Not everyone who is sent to prison is getting a prison sentence. In this case, she was made aware that if she didn't pay the fines she would serve X amount of days in jail. If she was repeatedly selling contraband on the side of the road, she would most likely have built up that €4k in no time.

Essential points:
    1) fines plural so more than one offence;
    2) casual trading offences so, while not exactly the most serious of offences, she was depriving normal, tax paying businesses of trade
    3) she had several years to pay but didn't,
    4) there is nothing to suggest an inability to pay.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Scortho wrote: »
    It is mad to be locking up people over non payment of fines. I think an hour community service per euro owed would be a much fairer system primarily because locking someone up costs us a fortune.

And if they don't show up to do their community service, you're back to square one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Scortho wrote: »

To the op, we can only prosecute people for crimes that they have committed. You can't prosecute someone if they can't be charged with something.

Yes, i agree with this comment above. Locking up old aged pensioners is out of order for a simple thing like this/a fine, all that had to be done was give her community work in looking after folks her own age or older for a couple of weeks and that would benefit these older folk, but locking her up in a prison with hardened criminals is rightly fecked up.

What a fecking kip of a justice system we have here in backward Ireland. I love the country but I despise the bloody idiots that run it.

@ johnnyskeleton
    And if they don't show up to do their community service, you're back to square one

Was she even given the option ? no, as far as i know, so what makes you think she wouldn't do this community service over a prison sentence? i'd say she would most definitely do the community service than go to prison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

And if they don't show up to do their community service, you're back to square one.

I know I'd be choosing the community service if i was given the option.
    Failure to do community service would see 18 weeks in prison as opposed to 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

And if she was selling tobacco on the streets, not only was she casual trading, it was probably illegal cigs and tobacco which was smuggled in.

So what do we have now?

Smuggling? maybe!
    Selling smuggled tobacco? Probably
    Illegal casual trading? Convicted!
    Not paying court fines for years? Convicted!

Poor innocent granny my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Exactly, she already owes 4k in fines so throw her in prison where she will cost the taxpayer €200/day while she is in there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Exactly, she already owes 4k in fines so throw her in prison where she will cost the taxpayer €200/day while she is in there ;)

What people fail to note here is that she was not thrown in prison because she did not pay her fines, she was thrown in there because she refused to obey the court judgement.

What seems to be at play in Ireland recently is that everyone goes on about bankers and bond holders and so on as if the financial issue gives them a green card against paying their debt. And if you are elderly it seems that should make you even more entitled to do what you want especially as you "paid tax all your life"!!!

Can I remind people of the elderly couple that were evicted and camped out in front of the house and were in all newspapers as poor old couple, which turned out to be couple that had income and other properties but decided one way or another not to pay their homes mortgage.

As long as we have "strategic" defaulters be it mortgage or any loan or bill, the genuine cases will not be able to be helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

zenno wrote: »
    Yes, i agree with this comment above. Locking up old aged pensioners is out of order for a simple thing like this/a fine, all that had to be done was give her community work in looking after folks her own age or older for a couple of weeks and that would benefit these older folk, but locking her up in a prison with hardened criminals is rightly fecked up.

Leaving aside the question of whether she should be locked up or not, I wouldn't class a 64 year old as an 'old, aged pensioner' and I know quite a few people in their 60s who'd take offence to that.

The Herald had a photo of her 80-something year old sister to accompany the article, probably deliberately chosen to make the woman here seem older and more fragile than she actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Government Courts lock up granny citizen for non payment of fines

FYP there.

I'm an uncle, several times over in fact, I might not bother paying my car tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

I assume that she still has to pay the fines as well or is the prison sentence in place of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

No one goes to jail for small.fines anyway.

They check in.
    Stay in holding area for an hour or so.
    Then they are on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Sure. All laws should be suspended unless you are a banker who lost us 100,000,000 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

BKtje wrote: »
    I assume that she still has to pay the fines as well or is the prison sentence in place of?

When you are sent to prison for non payment, you are serving the fine... If not people would be perpetually in prison....

A lot of people would actually rather go to prison for a few weeks than pay stupid fines....

I really don't think her family circumstances have anything to do with anything, bad timing perhaps , but shouldn't play any part in her sentencing.

I think sending anyone to jail for this type of offence is ridiculous... Jail should be kept for serious dangerous offenders, and alternatives should be found such as community work, tagging etc etc. sending this woman to jail is a pointless excersize and a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

She goes to prison at a cost to the state and the fines are wiped away.

galwayrush wrote: »

The most likely scenario is that she gets sent to Mountjoy; Two hours later she gets released due to overcrowding and fines are wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dharma200 wrote: »
    I think sending anyone to jail for this type of offence is ridiculous... Jail should be kept for serious dangerous offenders, and alternatives should be found such as community work, tagging etc etc. sending this woman to jail is a pointless excersize and a waste of money.

I agree, the fine + interest should just be taken from their bank account, salary, pension or assets. Delete as appropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

this granny sounds like moe in eastenders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

galwayrush wrote: »

But the other 10,000 people thinking of not paying their fines are now thinking, I could go to prison so I'm going to pay. Therefore the deterrent effect of sending her to jail actually does make a return on the cost of incarcerating her.

I agree to an extent that fines (espeically TV licence) should be taken from income or benefits but not when people are allowed make derisory (€10 a month for a 10k dept). In those cases there should be a punishment/deterrent sentence for creating that much dept when the person should have known they could not realistically pay it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

nesf wrote: »
    I agree, the fine + interest should just be taken from their bank account, salary, pension or assets. Delete as appropriate.

I'm at a loss to understand why this doesn't happen.
    afaik (haven't checked, so open to correction here) there is provision in the Fines Act to deduct fines from source but it hasn't been implemented.
    It would seem to be a much simpler, cheaper, less controversial solution.

Do other countries sent people to jail for non payment of fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm at a loss to understand why this doesn't happen.
    afaik (haven't checked, so open to correction here) there is provision in the Fines Act to deduct fines from source but it hasn't been implemented.
    It would seem to be a much simpler, cheaper, less controversial solution.

Do other countries sent people to jail for non payment of fines?

I know, it's insane. Prison is there to protect society from people, we don't need protection from fine dodgers, just need to punish them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

The Government have already tried to address this. Second time lucky hopefully.

The new bill aims to recover fines by attachment orders (e.g. going into a person's bank account), via the sheriff, or, failing this, community service. Prison remains a last resort.

Fines (Payment and Recovery) Bill 2013
    · Every person on whom a fine is imposed will be able to opt to pay the fine by instalments over 12 months.

· Where a person chooses to pay a fine by instalments, an administration fee of up to 10% of the fine may be imposed. The exact percentage to be applied as an administration fee will be set by the Minister by regulation. The administration fee will not apply where the fine is paid in full in a single payment.

· Where a person fails to pay a fine, the court may make an attachment order or a recovery order.Where it is not possible to make either order, the court may make a community service order.

· Where an attachment order or a recovery order are made but the fine or part thereof remains outstanding, the court may make a community service order.

· The Bill creates a new offence of failure to comply with an "attachment order" which will attract on conviction, a fine of up to €2,500 and/or up to 12 months in prison...

· The Bill provides for the sharing of data between the Revenue Commissioners, the Department of Social Protection and the Courts Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

micosoft wrote: »
    But the other 10,000 people thinking of not paying their fines are now thinking, I could go to prison so I'm going to pay. Therefore the deterrent effect of sending her to jail actually does make a return on the cost of incarcerating her.

I agree to an extent that fines (espeically TV licence) should be taken from income or benefits but not when people are allowed make derisory (€10 a month for a 10k dept). In those cases there should be a punishment/deterrent sentence for creating that much dept when the person should have known they could not realistically pay it off.

Person who lives quite near me won't pay a 1500 fine he got for not filing his VAT for a few years. That was about a year ago and he's waiting for ( in his own words ) his 'Garda Taxi' to bring him to Castlerea for what he expects to stay for 2 nights max, possible no night at all Boasts its the easiest 1500 he'll ever make.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 karkhanas

It is perfectly legitimate to bring the bankers into every debate like this whilst there is an apparent lack of will on behalf of the authorities to properly investigate any and all possible wrongdoing by a number of institutions and individuals in Ireland. People may roll their eyes to heaven and ask how much longer shall people refer to Ango, the bailout etc., but the reality is they will continue to do so whilst there is a perception in the general public that certain practices are perfectly acceptable.

I fully agree that we cannot have a situation whereby someone ignores a court order, irrespective of their situation and I do not think the sympathy card is acceptable when someone appears to point blank ignore their obligations.

However, a sense of perspective is needed and on behalf of the authorities, a sense of the public image that something like this creates. I am not overly familiar with how matters like this normally proceed but I would have thought that it would be possible to take money out of whatever source of income she has to pay the debts? Why would this not be enacted when it was apparent that she was neither willing nor able to pay a lump sum in one go?

I would not be surprised that there might exist people who are knowingly trying to use the elevated sense of outrage the financial sector and government to garner sympathy they might not have gotten at a different time, but it remains that there is a very strong public perception out there that certain individuals in the state who can operate with de facto impunity in regards their business dealings. Irrespective of the truth of that perception, it exists and is a reality for a sizable number of people. A newspaper like the Herald is only interested in a catchy head line and for many, the initial indignation regarding a elderly woman being jailed overshadows the facts and background of the story.

My opinion? Deduct an amount at source from her income to pay the fines. Don't tie up precious resources on trivial matters like this but don't allow yourself to fall for a sob story without checking all the facts.

Advertisement