Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the banks disrespecting you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I was standing at the door of a BOI the other day and a manager threw a banana off the back of my head.

They all started laughing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Never had a problem with the bank, any issues were quickly solved by them, never had an overdraft, don't have a mortgage.

I only use the bank though because I have to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You disrespecting me? You disrespecting my family?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

No problems with the bank.
    Banks of turf included. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Banks be all up in my grill and I be like. "Step off matrefeckers - you ain't gonna be sayin' that 'bout my low interest deposit account fo' real."

They stepped off for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I must be a sexy bastard because any bank staff I interact with want to ride me.

I must be a sexy bastard because any bank staff I interact with want to ride me.

You mis heard. I said, I would barely ride him into battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

AIB gave our business an overdraft and a load of support, Ulster Bank screwed up twice and made monetary offers that were very fair on both occasions.
    I'm getting screwed on my mortgage interest rate but that is because of the slimy fkers that are strategically defaulting.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

They always treat me like a sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Its more the bailing the bastards out thing that bothers me.

However impoliteness is a close distant second.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

My fairly savage me on fees whenever I send money back home to my account. Apart from that, in the past they sorted me out with a loan to do my Masters with no hassle, setting up a graduate account for me (and keeping it there maybe longer than it should've been), sorting out a paperless account for me, new bank cards for me abroad etc. So overall, they're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Caonima wrote: »
    My fairly savage me on fees whenever I send money back home to my account. Apart from that, in the past they sorted me out with a loan to do my Masters with no hassle, setting up a graduate account for me (and keeping it there maybe longer than it should've been), sorting out a paperless account for me, new bank cards for me abroad etc. So overall, they're grand.

Paypal. You need two accounts, link one to your bank abroad, one to your Irish account. Cheap transfers.

You're welcome.

MadsL wrote: »
    Paypal. You need two accounts, link one to your bank abroad, one to your Irish account. Cheap transfers.

You're welcome.

Used to work for that shower. No thanks.

Used to work for that shower. No thanks.

Umm. OK.

Could I ask why, other than bitterness, I shouldn't use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

lkionm wrote: »
    I was standing at the door of a BOI the other day and a manager threw a banana off the back of my head.

They all started laughing.

In fairness, I was there and you do have the kind of head that makes people want to throw stuff at it

Umm. OK.

Could I ask why, other than bitterness, I shouldn't use them?

The Chinese Government has very tight rules on foreigners sending money out of the country and puts a lot of limits on repatriating funds; I'm pretty certain they wouldn't play ball with Paypal. Just did a quick Shanghai forum search there that's confirmed it - the Chinese banks won't sync with Paypal. Banks are all run by the Government here.

Bitterness.... that's a different story, but not related to this thread so I'll spare you the boredom :)

In fairness, I was there and you do have the kind of head that makes people want to throw stuff at it

Last week they popped a balloon in my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

lkionm wrote: »
    Last week they popped a balloon in my ear.

Ah - I missed that one. Can you let me know the next time you're going to the bank and I'll come with you?

Last time I was in the post office they stole my shoelaces. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

They forever hatin' and dissin me so i punished them real good by er ...................... Making sarky comments in internet forums and news sites.

I showed dem fo sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

It's their culture...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I've been getting hassle from my bank about an overdraft on one account that I am within the agreed limit. They want to change it.

Hassle in what way? There's probably a valid reason why they want to have a look at your overdraft.

I've been getting hassle from my bank about an overdraft on one account that I am within the agreed limit. They want to change it.

They might offer you a bank loan instead, and if you wanted my advice on that it'd be better than an overdraft. Easier to pay back over a term, not getting hit by fees if you go over your limit etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Kick in the door wavin a .44. They'll respect you then. Unless they have really thick glass and stuff. And them doors that lock you in.. then not so much..but they'll fear you - fear is better than respect, I heard that somwhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

If you don't own the bank money (I know its easier said than done) you can ask to close your account and watch their attitude change at the potential lost of a customer.

They might offer you a bank loan instead, and if you wanted my advice on that it'd be better than an overdraft. Easier to pay back over a term, not getting hit by fees if you go over your limit etc.

Actually the new fee structure suits, very low fees and I get to keep the account as I will need it next year. I'm paying back the OD - just on my terms, rather than the banks, a bit here a bit there. The bank on the other hand seem to want it all at once. I have offered them a choice of fingers, but my middle one is my favourite.

Actually the new fee structure suits, very low fees and I get to keep the account as I will need it next year. I'm paying back the OD - just on my terms, rather than the banks, a bit here a bit there. The bank on the other hand seem to want it all at once. I have offered them a choice of fingers, but my middle one is my favourite.

Back when I did my masters, I ran up a bit of an overdraft, and the fees were ugly. I just asked the bank to clear off the overdraft and add it to my student loan and they said okay. Worked out much better; not having that negative number in your current account feels better

Back when I did my masters, I ran up a bit of an overdraft, and the fees were ugly. I just asked the bank to clear off the overdraft and add it to my student loan and they said okay. Worked out much better; not having that negative number in your current account feels better

I don't look at it.

Getting rung by the bank when I am within the agreed limit is what bothers me.

"What do you plan to do with your overdraft Mr MadsL?"
    Nothing
    "Errmmm."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Currencyfair.com (assuming you are changing currency) if it is euro to euro I dont think there is a fee any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

bluewolf wrote: »
    You disrespecting me? You disrespecting my family?!

Ahhh fugetaboutit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I don't look at it.

Getting rung by the bank when I am within the agreed limit is what bothers me.

"What do you plan to do with your overdraft Mr MadsL?"
    Nothing
    "Errmmm."

Being within the agreed limit is only part of it. An overdraft is for short term borrowing and should only be used temporarily. It is repayable on demand and at the first sign of hardcore debt, it is in your interest that it is dealt with.

Your bank are trying to help you and you are on here complaining?

Advertisement