Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airmail stamp to U.K.

Options
  • 21-08-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

I have to send a SASE to U.K. Can I use Irish airmail stamps to put on both envelopes?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. Royal Mail won't handle outbound mail without UK stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MYOB wrote: »
    No. Royal Mail won't handle outbound mail without UK stamps.
    I think he might have UK monetary stamps, and is just asking about the airmail labelling.

I remember just writing "airmail" on them years ago.

UK stamps seem to say "BY AIR MAIL" on them

airmail1.gif

So I would write that, as the Irish one (here anyway) is in Irish

IRELAND+-+air+mail+label.jpg

If it is UK sites, this old thread was saying you can buy online and print them out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054998347

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yes, you can buy stamps online: Royal Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think in the case of mail being posted in the UK, it all depends on the stamp that you use rather than whether or not you stick a 'Par Avion' label on the envelope. Unlike here they have first class and second class mail so as long as you pay the first class rate, the letter should be sent airmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Unlike here they have first class and second class mail so as long as you pay the first class rate, the letter should be sent airmail.

First and second class is an internal UK concept, airmail doesn't directly enter into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

And if you don't put sufficient postage on the return envelope it will in all likelihood be delayed by Royal Mail, potentially for quite a while. There's a price calculator on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Don't forget to measure the envelope as well as estimate the weight when it comes back. Post is divided into Small and Large envelopes as well as parcels. And yes -RM will delay the package if there is insufficient postage affixed.

Friend of mine sent me a letter and thought an ordinary 1st class stamp would suffice. It took over a month to arrive as opposed to two days with the correct postage!

Advertisement