Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Reduction surgery in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-08-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, this is my first post! :) Just wondering if anyone on here has had breast reduction surgery? I've been seriously considering it for about 8 months now because of the back pain, the indents from my bra straps on my shoulders, the backne it's causing me to have, not to mention the comments I get at work from men (and some women) which make me feel very self-conscious and unconfident. I'm quite tall for 19, and without the breasts that "some women pay for" I would be a small size 12 - but since I constantly have to accommodate my boobs, I am a size 16 which genuinely makes me hate shopping as I cannot wear tight clothing and as a result end up looking bigger than I am. Not even mentioning the fact that for a plain horrible beige bar it costs my €50-€60!
    My question is, has anyone on here gotten a reduction? Was it worth it, How much did it cost, where did you get it done, does it affect breastfeeding, are there many risks/complications, and what is the recovery like, how long does it take ect? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do not seek medical advice on the internet. You should speak to your GP about this for the medical advice. They can refer you to a surgeon for further consultation.

Moving this to the Ladies Lounge as I think you'll get better feedback there.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I had a lot of those problems you described and had briefly looked into the surgery route but very quickly decided against it for lots of reasons: possible complications and the prominent scarring being the two big ones. Also I think it's considered an elective surgery (but don't quote me on that), which means it's pricey.

Have you exhausted all non-surgical options? You don't say what size you are, but I wore the wrong bra size for a long time and it caused lots of unnecessary grief. I now know my bra size is a 30FF, but at my smallest (long time ago now!) I would have been a size 8 and buying 34DD bras and size 12/14/16 tops to fit.

My posture was also further wrecked from hunching my shoulders forward to try and 'hide' my bust, and I had lots of back problems but they turned out to be a combination of my bad posture, spending lots of time on the computer, sitting incorrectly while at said computer, having pelvic floor issues, and not having any core strength.

As a start, I'd say:
    - Get your bra size checked by a professional (if you're ever in the UK, Bravissimo offer a free service and they're the best I've found)
    - Talk to a physio about your back
    - Talk to a doctor about the backne - I've had this too and it can be lots of things

For clothes and bras check out online sites like Bravissimo and Figleaves - Bravissimo also do clothes by bust size which are great. If you're in Dublin Debenhams and Brown Thomas stock good fuller cup bras too. By shopping around you should be able to find good non-beige non-boring bras for around €30-€40 - which is worth it for something you wear everyday I think!

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

YumCha wrote: »
    Have you exhausted all non-surgical options? You don't say what size you are, but I wore the wrong bra size for a long time and it caused lots of unnecessary grief. I now know my bra size is a 30FF, but at my smallest (long time ago now!) I would have been a size 8 and buying 34DD bras and size 12/14/16 tops to fit.
    ^ This. This in a nutshell. Go to Bramora in Dublin or somewhere else that will fit you properly (M&S do not count, they are terrible, and Debenhams can be hot or cold depending on which branch and which fitter) and get bras that will fit you properly. Alternatively check out the A Bra That Fits subreddit and follow their advice.

(for the record, Bramora and Bravissimo in Oxford Street both fitted me into the 30H I currently wear in most brands)
    My posture was also further wrecked from hunching my shoulders forward to try and 'hide' my bust, and I had lots of back problems but they turned out to be a combination of my bad posture, spending lots of time on the computer, sitting incorrectly while at said computer, having pelvic floor issues, and not having any core strength.
    Yoga and pilates are awesome for busty women - the emphasis on core strength and alignment is pretty much exactly what we need, particularly those of us who sit at a computer 8 hours a day in work!

OP - if a reduction turns out to be what you need, then go for it, but like all major surgery it has consequences. I've considered eventually going for one but I want to be able to breastfeed my future children first. Try the non-surgical options first, you may find that they're all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 katiebug

Have you exhausted all nonsurgical options? You don't say what size you are, but I wore the wrong bra size for a long time and it caused lots of unnecessary grief. I now know my bra size is a 30FF, but at my smallest (long time ago now!) I would have been a size 8 and buying 34DD bras and size 12/14/16 tops to fit.

I'm a 34E/F which I know isn't as big as some ladies but none the less I still feel very uncomfortable with the size, I work in a bar and the old men that come in comment on them saying I should be working in hooters, should be entering bikini competitions ect, and it's horrible. Especially with boys my own age who constantly stare and it's just rotten! I'd like to be a D-cup and I've tried losing weight, which I have. just not off my boobs unfortunately!

I do pilates to tone up and get some strength and it definitely works, but my posture is still awful in everyday situations.

For clothes and bras check out online sites like Bravissimo and Figleaves - Bravissimo also do clothes by bust size which are great. If you're in Dublin Debenhams and Brown Thomas stock good fuller cup bras too. By shopping around you should be able to find good non-beige non-boring bras for around €30-€40 - which is worth it for something you wear everyday I think!

Best of luck!
    I will be in Dublin today so I'll definitely try out all that! Thanks very much for the advice :)

Advertisement