Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Irish Pubs in London

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm not going to the Porterhouse anymore for matches. No atmosphere and was full of bloody yuppies. Myself and a Clareman were there obviously roaring on our respective teams and some arse had the temerity to tell us to relax and that it was only a game. Outrageous carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm not going to the Porterhouse anymore for matches. No atmosphere and was full of bloody yuppies. Myself and a Clareman were there obviously roaring on our respective teams and some arse had the temerity to tell us to relax and that it was only a game. Outrageous carry on!

:rolleyes: Clown.

I watched it (against my will) in Waxy's, it was decent enough to be honest. Busy without being ridiculously packed and good atmosphere, plenty of screens to watch it on. I've watched six nations in there before which i hated, possibly because i've limited interest in rugby, but Sunday was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

This may seem like a silly question; but is there an area in London which Irish people gravitate towards?

I'm aware of the old Crinklewood connection but is there an known Irish area in London nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

djpbarry wrote: »
    I've walked past that place on a number of occasions and, to be honest, it looks about as welcoming as a sweaty crotch. The Kings Head just around the corner is a much nicer spot, although not Irish.

Do said numerous passings of the Coach & Horses precede the recent change of leasehold/management? Other users (BraziliaNZ, old hippy) have alluded to visits made before it was "Irish". I used to live in Lambeth and didn't think much of the place at the time either. If the most recent of your numerous passings was more than a month ago I'd strongly advise passing again. You might even stop this time, it's a decent spot. Streets ahead of the Alex on a championship Sunday.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Watched the final with exiledelbows at The Sheephaven Bay and it was nice and chilled for the match:

http://www.sheephavenbaycamden.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This may seem like a silly question; but is there an area in London which Irish people gravitate towards?

I'm aware of the old Crinklewood connection but is there an known Irish area in London nowadays?

We're all over the shop these days. I haven't been near Cricklewood/Kilburn for years but you'll find a lot of us in West London, specifically; Acton/Ealing/Hammersmith.

It's a co-incidence that I live in that area, I believe in integration but then again, always a pleasure to meet people from home. Nearly always :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

old hippy wrote: »
    We're all over the shop these days. I haven't been near Cricklewood/Kilburn for years but you'll find a lot of us in West London, specifically; Acton/Ealing/Hammersmith.

It's a co-incidence that I live in that area, I believe in integration but then again, always a pleasure to meet people from home. Nearly always :D

I'm going to echo the old hippy's post above. There's a fairly large lump of us over the far side. I'm in Romford, there's plenty of Irish here (the large hospital plays a big part in that), our next-door neighbour is from Galway. I play football a few miles up the road in Seven Kings where there's always been a decent Irish contingent - enough to have one of London's oldest GAA clubs anyway. Most of the lads would live within the Stratford, Woodford, Romford triangle (it's a decent sized triangle :D).

Several times I've had a few pints with friends in Gertie Brown's pub up in Finchley. There's a nice little Irish community going on over there.

I've another group of friends down in Tooting. While I've only been down a handful of times, they're definitely not the old Irish in the village.

To sum up. . .all over the shop. . .as he said

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ray Dow

The Faltering Fullback in Finsbury usually has a good Irish crowd, but would not be considered your hackneyed irish pub.

Filthy McNasty's is worth a look as well... just for the name

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Ray Dow wrote: »
    The Faltering Fullback in Finsbury usually has a good Irish crowd, but would not be considered your hackneyed irish pub.

Filthy McNasty's is worth a look as well... just for the name
    Filthy's is no longer called Filthy's anymore. They even painted over the name on teh sign.

Now called meat lovers or some ****e.

Faltering is good. Owned by a family from Foynes in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

I'm in West London too (Shepherds Bush/Hammersmith). Usually go to the Richmond for the GAA. A quiet, unassuming place with a great Guinness and a startling number of Mayo expats from my parents generation (in their 50s and 60s). Might not be that rock and roll, but I like it. :D

Will be roaring my head off again for the Mayo/Dublin final! Let's hope it's our year this time!!

• Advertisement

I'm in West London too (Shepherds Bush/Hammersmith). Usually go to the Richmond for the GAA. A quiet, unassuming place with a great Guinness and a startling number of Mayo expats from my parents generation (in their 50s and 60s). Might not be that rock and roll, but I like it. :D

Will be roaring my head off again for the Mayo/Dublin final! Let's hope it's our year this time!!

I haven't been in the Richmond for around 9 or ten years. It was a bit rough & ready at the time. There's plenty of decent pubs in the area; The William Morris in King St used to be quite Irish - but has a bit of a rep for punch ups on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I haven't been in the Richmond for around 9 or ten years. It was a bit rough & ready at the time. There's plenty of decent pubs in the area; The William Morris in King St used to be quite Irish - but has a bit of a rep for punch ups on occasion.

The William Morris is now a Wetherspoons pub with bouncers on the door from as early as 10 in the morning onwards!

Pudders wrote: »
    The William Morris is now a Wetherspoons pub with bouncers on the door from as early as 10 in the morning onwards!

I'd notice them on a Friday night; I'd swear they had a metal detector one time!

These days I prefer the snug (and smug) Dartmouth Castle 5 mins down the road. There's the occasional Irish person there but it does seem to be populated by Chelsea types...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd notice them on a Friday night; I'd swear they had a metal detector one time!

These days I prefer the snug (and smug) Dartmouth Castle 5 mins down the road. There's the occasional Irish person there but it does seem to be populated by Chelsea types...
    I've never set foot in The William Morris. I didn't even know the name of it even though I walk past in on a regular basis.

It wasn't until you mentioned the Dartmouth Castle being 5 minutes down the road that I realised where you were talking about.

What's the Dartmouth like in the evenings? I've only ever been there for Lunchtime food & drinks.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've never set foot in The William Morris. I didn't even know the name of it even though I walk past in on a regular basis.

It wasn't until you mentioned the Dartmouth Castle being 5 minutes down the road that I realised where you were talking about.

What's the Dartmouth like in the evenings? I've only ever been there for Lunchtime food & drinks.

You get a mix of professionals, BBC types, sloanes, smoochy couples and the occasional thesp. You are less likely to get aggro there than the other place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Ray Dow wrote: »

Got absolutely wrecked in there with the owners on Sunday, best session I had in a long time. It sponsors Éire Óg GAA team as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

Another pub just off blackstock road is the auld triangle

A great spot and staff are fierce friendly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The Cricklewood/Kilburn district is old Irish now with a good influx of East Euroepeans. A lot of the younger Irish are south of the river now in Clapham/Brixton. To be honest though they are well spread out and as likely to be found up in Islington/Anger as in South and West London.
    A lot of them are not interested in the Irish Centres like Camden and Hammersmith which is a pity because these places need some young blood while still remaining a little refuge for the earlier emigrants . Many of the young men and women though are finding the London GAA scene very worthwhile.

Advertisement