Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Stars Hurling

Options
  • 15-08-2013 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Possible All Stars At The Moment :

Nash

Kelly
    McCarthy
    O'Neill

Bugler
    Rushe
    Egan

Kearney
    Galvin

Harnedy
    Ryan
    Sutcliffe

Collins
    Horgan
    Dotsy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Paul Murphy or Kieran Joyce would be my pick for a Kilkenny All Star

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

TheNap wrote: »

Nash

Kelly
    McCarthy
    O'Neill

Bugler
    Rushe
    Egan

Kearney
    Galvin

Harnedy
    Ryan
    Sutcliffe

Collins
    Horgan
    Dotsy

It's not a bad team... but I don't see how Collins can get one at corner-forward considering he has spent pretty much the whole Championship in midfield and on the wing. Just because he's got that number on his jersey..... it'd be fairer to put Harnedy inside as at least he's played in the inside line.

My team might be slightly different, but the 2 remaining games will be important... the likes of Dodge, Hannon, Condon, Quaid, Kelly, Honan, Donnellan, Ryan, Cronin, McLoughlin, O'Sullivan could all push themselves ahead of rivals depending on performances.

I would say that McCarthy, O'Neill, Rushe, Harnedy, Collins would be my only nailed-on ones at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

People really think Harnedy is nailed on?? He is a tireless worker and very honest but he definitley lacks composure in front of the goal, I think he has been blown up a little because of the whole 'find of the year' label and the Sean Og comments.

Tipp probabaly wont get one but tbf Michael Cahill was outstanding despite the shambles that was unfolding around him and KK will definitly get one.

Also OP you have 3 FB's in the FB line, that will never happen. Dotsy has not been anywhere near he's usual class this year and doesnt merit inclusion and I'd say Paul Ryan's horror show in teh semi will ruin he's chances, Keaney has been better than both IMO. Maurice Shanahan will be close aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

2 games too early for all star talk.

Rightwing wrote: »

Very true, the two semis and final have a huge bearing on the final selection, too much infact but such are these things!

• Advertisement

People really think Harnedy is nailed on?? He is a tireless worker and very honest but he definitley lacks composure in front of the goal, I think he has been blown up a little because of the whole 'find of the year' label and the Sean Og comments.

Tipp probabaly wont get one but tbf Michael Cahill was outstanding despite the shambles that was unfolding around him and KK will definitly get one.

Also OP you have 3 FB's in the FB line, that will never happen. Dotsy has not been anywhere near he's usual class this year and doesnt merit inclusion and I'd say Paul Ryan's horror show in teh semi will ruin he's chances, Keaney has been better than both IMO. Maurice Shanahan will be close aswell.

I think Harnedy has been Cork's best player over the season, although he wasn't brilliant against Dublin. Missed chances against Limerick but still caused severe problems.

Michael Cahill was superb but 2 superb games gets cancelled out by players who have played 2 superb games and one very good game. And Shane O'Neill played corner-back against Clare, I'd say he will get an All-Star in the corner even if he's been central since...Kelly, not so sure.

I think KK might miss out, both Murphy and Joyce were excellent but if there are other strong contenders, they could miss out. Dotsy was excellent against Galway, and if there isn't a really strong performance from Hannon/Horgan, I'd say he'll get one....I agree Paul Ryan won't now (although I'm assuming that it's James Ryan that he has listed).

Keaney is a good shout, been better than Sutcliffe over the year imo. Don't think Shanahan was good enough against KK to get one, even if he was class against Clare and Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

Conor O' Sullivan has been absolutely outstanding for Cork and probably their most consistent performer. Would be amazed if he doesn't get one of the corner back slots.

Can't see Dotsy getting one. Was taken off in 2 games (at least) and wasn't he left out of the team earlier in the year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Nash

Kelly
    McCarthy
    O'Neill

Bugler
    Rushe
    Egan

Kearney
    Galvin

Harnedy
    Ryan
    Sutcliffe

Collins
    Horgan
    Dotsy
    A lot hurling to be played yet,but unless, Nash becomes the first Cork goalie in over 30 years and concedes more than 3 goals in a final and is fault for every one of them he is nailed on to win 2 in a row.

Maguire,over last week is out of the picture,and its between Quaid and Nash .

Quaid will win all stars, I have no doubt,but he wont win one this time.He has been very good,but Nash has been spectacular,with hes saves,hes free taking gives hes position added value,and the fact hes leadership has held a cork defence without a natural full back and without all star corner back ,murphy for two games,together and just concede a goal so far ,means hes worth to the team is more than Quaids to limerick.
    Without Nash Cork would not be here in a final.

Shane O' Neill played three games at corner back and will win one.

Riche Mac,would be my full back,just ahead of Peter Kelly.
    Connor o sullivan is in contention and been superb,but so has Tom Condon,two very similar players.
    It will be a close call.

Tommy Walsh has to win one,hes displays against Tipp,and Cork and Dublin,were superb.

Rushe has no one to touch him so far.

Egan,i woud not give one.Hes been solid,but Bulger,Donnellan have been better so far.
    A cork paper said Tom Kenny had one so-far this season.Not a hope is in line for one.

Kearney has been excellent in all four games,and is ahead of Mcloughlin and in contention.Galvin id agree is in with a shout ,but the two limerick lads are also very much in contention.

Hannon has to get one.

Harnedy while not always picked their at Cf, has played a lot there ,in spells of games.
    I don't the hype ,is on him just cause hes from the small club of St Ita's.
    He has got one man of the match,and nine points from play ,won hard ball on the ground and in the air even against Joyce of KK,and covered every blade of grass ,and been as effective off the ball as well as on it in he's first four games for Cork.

He is raw,in terms of hes shooting and decision making,but for a guy that coudn't make the u21 team,under Corks Brains of management,hes bound to be raw.
    He reminds me of Bonner Maher,a fantastic player,and one of my heroes,who won an all star in hes first year in 09.
    He was not scoring as much as harnedy,but was the vital link that made the space and won the hard ball and yards for hes marquee forwards.

Harnedy with Horgan has been the single biggest reason the forwards have clicked,as he is doing the hard work, and cork are now competing at half forward,as hes taking the pressure of Cronin,and also cork halfs back line,as were not coughing up as much ball in this line,and opposing half backs lines are not bombarding them with wave after attack,like the relegation play off with Clare

And nine points from play is good return,and has more hurling than people think, as hes beautfiul point in the ist half against Dublin proved,and he's sublime pass for Luke O' Farells point.
    Timmy Mac or Niall Mac,did not score that much in a season for cork.He will need a good final to be sure,but very much in contention.Keaney will push hard for one of the half forward slots.

Sutcliffe has been superb,and fell short last year,but i think he will get it.

Tony kelly bar the Cork game ,has been excellent.I would not rule him out.
    Pa Cronin,has not been great the last two games,i cant see him getting one,and i dont think unless he has a truly super final will win one.Maurice Shanahan deserves to be in contention,and its a shame he got injured against Clare.

Podge Collins,and Tobin could get one.A lot depends on Sunday.

Honan could win one at full forward.Horgan is very much in line,one ten from play,and 20 points from placed balls,in three and half games.They may push Horgan out to 15,as he has not stayed at full forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

At the moment:

Nash
    O'Neill
    McCarthy
    Murphy
    Bugler
    Rushe
    Kieran Joyce
    Galvin
    Kearney
    James Ryan
    Collins
    Sutcliffe
    Conor McGrath
    Horgan
    Harnedy

Hard to pick to be honest, not an awful lot of standout performers this year. There wont be that many Cork players in two games time I cant imagine. Daniel Kearney won't get one I'd say probably Johnny McCafferey will get it but I think he's been better. Think Kieran Joyce might be played out of it too. And the forwards are still a bit up in the air. Collins and Horgan the only sure things to me, with Harnedy having a great chance based on a few fine performances and ah good media profile.

Maurice Shanahan hasn't a chance. Moran and Fives were excellent against Kilkenny but unfortunately weren't consistent this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Rightwing wrote: »

Nash will get the no. 1 spot no matter what methinks
    And he deserves it to be fair

• Advertisement

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Nash will get the no. 1 spot no matter what methinks
    And he deserves it to be fair
    He is nailed on to get it,he is a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

He is nailed on to get it,he is a certainty.

I knew nothing about this guy at all before last year. He wasn't even the definite No 2 up to the end of the 2012 league. Amazing to think he might still be sitting on the bench only for Donal Og's bad injury.

Maybe you won't agree but I think he's already a better keeper than Donal Og ever was. I know Cusack was probably massively influential beyond his actual play but Nash to me is a far better goalkeeper.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I knew nothing about this guy at all before last year. He wasn't even the definite No 2 up to the end of the 2012 league. Amazing to think he might still be sitting on the bench only for Donal Og's bad injury.

Maybe you won't agree but I think he's already a better keeper than Donal Og ever was. I know Cusack was probably massively influential beyond his actual play but Nash to me is a far better goalkeeper.

Played after "Semplegate".

As did Shane O'Neill iirc... and Kevin Hartnett & Pa Cronin. Hartnett the only one who is not a regular now.

Martin567 wrote: »

Nash was on the 2006 panel,and like fireball said was in thurles against waterford in 07,when five goals were conceded,but it is hard to fault him for any of them,he saved two more.

I see your point,and to be fair its a valid argument.Cusack when he started out was very good but 2003 he could have saved comerford goal,not that KK wouldn't have won anway.Cusack admits himself that goal haunted him for a while.It made him stronger.

In 2004,he made up for it,with a great save on shefflin ,and then moved the ball out of defence,to Joe Deane who then won a vital free.

Cusack is one of our greatest,but hes agility and flexibitity ,could be argued is below Nash now,and Nash's dynasuim and agility and shot stopping is better.
    Nash won a few all irelands at intermediate level.

However cusack mastered the puckout and brought goal keepers influence to another level.

Cusack was a great leader,but nash has now became one,and has a long future in the game.Nash even played minor football for Cork.

He is related to Mike and declan Nash from limerick ,and also to Albert shanahan.He was born in limerick,but were lucky to have him.

Hes cousin Barry,a fine talent,is playing for Limerick minors at CF Sunday.

Fireball07 wrote: »

As did Shane O'Neill iirc... and Kevin Hartnett & Pa Cronin. Hartnett the only one who is not a regular now.
    Hartnett brother Bud is on the cork panel now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

People dont think Paul Ryan? He didnt play well against Cork but he was fantastic in earlier rounds.

Cronin played against Clare. Fell away there for a while after being a really promising young player in 2007. Back with a bang though the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

People dont think Paul Ryan? He didnt play well against Cork but he was fantastic in earlier rounds.

Can't see him getting one, didn't tag a score from play in the Cork game and was left out at start of year. Probably had 2/3 good games but not enough. He missed several costly frees also in the Cork game.

From the Dublin team I think there are 3 contenders, Sutcliffe, Rushe (unreal year) and Peter Kelly (can't think of a better full back, only mistake was letting Horgan ghost in for the goal).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Comordha wrote: »
    Can't see him getting one, didn't tag a score from play in the Cork game and was left out at start of year. Probably had 2/3 good games but not enough. He missed several costly frees also in the Cork game.

From the Dublin team I think there are 3 contenders, Sutcliffe, Rushe (unreal year) and Peter Kelly (can't think of a better full back, only mistake was letting Horgan ghost in for the goal).

I think Keaney will get one to be honest, been very good all year (since he was moved to the forwards at least).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I meant James Ryan not Paul Ryan in the OP . Also , it seems to be people outside of Dublin that think Keaney should get one . When he shouldnt . Poor 2 games v Wexford ( one in the backs one in the forwards ) , cleaned out by Joyce v Kilkenny .. One very good game in a Leinster Final and a good game v Cork isnt deserving of an all star ..

Things could easily change after the next 2 games . Not sure why people are including Hannon , he hasnt been great this year . Ryan and Tobin would be ahead of him at the moment

• Advertisement

I think Harnedy has been Cork's best player over the season, although he wasn't brilliant against Dublin. Missed chances against Limerick but still caused severe problems.

I think Nash, O'Neill, O'Sullivan, Kearney, McLoughlin and Horgan have all been far far better for Cork this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I think Nash, O'Neill, O'Sullivan, Kearney, McLoughlin and Horgan have all been far far better for Cork this year.

Ah i think Harnedy is right up there with them .. An all round player in my view . Ball winner , mobile , can score and very hard working .

Ah i think Harnedy is right up there with them .. An all round player in my view . Ball winner , mobile , can score and very hard working .
    Absoultely,to get nine points from play and create so many other scores,hes in well contention.Everything you would want in a forward.
    Getting expierence,will bring him on leaps and bounds. But, he will only get expierence by playing games.
    'Tis only he that wears the shoe know exactly how it fits'.

He's great goal against Mary I,in the fitzgibbon cup final,shows he has plenty of hurling.
    At 23, he will get much better.

Not sure why people are including Hannon , he hasnt been great this year . Ryan and Tobin would be ahead of him at the moment

It's all profile. It's ridiculous like but that's the way of it. He's hit his frees well, but so did Jack Guiney, Eoin Larkin, Colin Ryan etc. From open play hes not seen yet favourite to win young player of the year, when Podge Collins has had the best year a player eligible to win it has had since Brendan Maher won it in 2010.

I'm as biased a Limerick person as there can be, and I think Hannon is class, but there's no way I'd give him an All-Star based on his performances so far.

In fairness, he's still scored something like 0-4 from play, and a great sideline....and hit lots of frees. And if he can do that playing beneath himself, what will he score if he hits top form? In the league, he was our best performer for most games. I think that if he can play well in Croke Park, he may be deserving of one.

Oh, and he shouldn't have got man of the match in either game, I don't think he got the official one, but lots of player were mentioning him.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

At the moment:

Nash
    O'Neill
    McCarthy
    Murphy
    Bugler
    Rushe
    Kieran Joyce
    Galvin
    Kearney
    James Ryan
    Collins
    Sutcliffe
    Conor McGrath
    Horgan
    Harnedy

Hard to pick to be honest, not an awful lot of standout performers this year. There wont be that many Cork players in two games time I cant imagine. Daniel Kearney won't get one I'd say probably Johnny McCafferey will get it but I think he's been better. Think Kieran Joyce might be played out of it too. And the forwards are still a bit up in the air. Collins and Horgan the only sure things to me, with Harnedy having a great chance based on a few fine performances and ah good media profile.

Maurice Shanahan hasn't a chance. Moran and Fives were excellent against Kilkenny but unfortunately weren't consistent this year.

That' actually be my team there really!

Maybe Tommy Walsh in for Joyce, but I wouldn't argue with Joyce in there. Murphy surely has to get one as well.
    I don't think Conor Mcgrath has stood-out this year either really, but atm he probably deserves it when compared to the rest. If Limerick beat Clare, I could see Horgan winning one in the corner and Hannon going in full.

It'll all be decided in the 2 games anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Odds are up on Paddy Power lads, Sutcliffe at 1/2 was the value that stood out for me. Can't see any KK / Tipperary / Galway player getting one tbh, would probably throw Canning one just because he's Joe Canning and from KK I would say Kieran Joyce if anyone but can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I imagine any chance that Hannon had for an all star is gone out the window now
    Tony Kelly should be getting one though after a beautiful display on Sunday including that move 23 minutes in where he passed the sliothar over the limerick lads head :)

Comordha wrote: »
    Odds are up on Paddy Power lads, Sutcliffe at 1/2 was the value that stood out for me. Can't see any KK / Tipperary / Galway player getting one tbh, would probably throw Canning one just because he's Joe Canning and from KK I would say Kieran Joyce if anyone but can't see it.

Nash is 1/66 on and riche mac 1/12.

I said last week nash would have to be at fault for 3 or more goals in the final not to win,after quaids mistake,he would have to let in five now.

By a country mile the best goalkeeper at the moment ,delighted he has a second all star.Riche mac deserves it for me,should edge it ,kelly,and unless mclirney has a stormer,Riche will win it,as limerick will get at least one as munster champs and he is their most likely.

Shane o neill and condon in pole position,connor sul has a gd final he will get it,ahead of condon.

Im suprised they think walsh isnt in the running.bulger and rushe are shoe in.

Donnellan could shake it.I thought joyce was poor against cork.

Midfield,cork wont win two,either lorchan or kearney.Kearney is ahead at the moment.
    Ryan ,galvin will rattle browne and o grady.

I thought hanon was a cert,he wont after sunday.It puts harnedy ,almost there.

Sutcilffe ,and tony kelly id imagine.If kelly has a poor final,then keaney.

Cronin is short odds,im suprised.I wouldnt give him one,hed have to have a man of the match final to get one.

Horgan and podge collins ,very close now.

Tobin wont get one now.Id say if honan has a big final he could get it ,with horgan moved to the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Nash
    O'Neill
    Richie mc
    Mcinirney
    Bugler
    Rushe
    Donellan
    Dodge
    Mcloughlin/Galvin/kearney
    Harnedy