Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is you're life random or scripted?

Options
  • 14-08-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any evidence that the course of you're life is preordained rather than random?thought I heard some scientists were leaning in the preordained direction.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sorry

but

*your

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If mine is scripted, I need a new script writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

If it is scripted, there is a grammar mistake in your script.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

sorry

but

*your

BOOM! INFRACTION!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

My life has been extraordinary
    Blessed and cursed and won
    Time heals but I'm forever broken
    By and by the way...
    Have you ever heard the words
    I'm singing in these songs?
    It's for the girl I've loved all along
    Can a taste of love be so wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Its random imho, but I do believe that there is a certain way your life is planned to go from the universe or what have you, its just up to you if you stay straight on that path or go off randomly in loads of directions but eventually come back to your path, just life imho :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If mine is scripted, I need a new script writer.

Maybe I just haven't been added to the script yet...baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Destined for greatness by Our Lord Jesus Christ himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Life is a random series of events triggered by a random series of events triggered by a random series of events triggered by a...

Also, no move in life is the wrong move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

When I was in school we used sniff any chemicals we found in the science labs along with tippex and those big permanent markers , anyway one the doughnuts in my class kinda got a penchant for sniffing stuff and used take smalls jars and beakers home to sniff , eventually he ended up strung out on heroin.

So yes, his life was scripted where mine was random.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

The fella that wrote my script was on the wacky tobacky Id say.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 the back of beyond

I once turned down the opportunity to buy a motorcycle which was identical to the one I eventually ended up buying 3 years later through pure chance.

So yes, it is completely random.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mattjack wrote: »
    When I was in school we used sniff any chemicals we found in the science labs along with tippex and those big permanent markers , anyway one the doughnuts in my class kinda got a penchant for sniffing stuff and used take smalls jars and beakers home to sniff , eventually he ended up strung out on heroin.

So yes, his life was scripted where mine was random.

So if that guys life was scripted can he be held responsible for his actions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I hope its not scripted, kinda makes most things meaningless and less fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

I sure as hell hope the course of my life has been preordained so far, otherwise I've no one to blame but myself as to why I'm completely failing at it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

kneemos wrote: »
    So if that guys life was scripted can he be held responsible for his actions?

Light hearted thread....I dunno , probally. He's clean years now and happily married .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

mattjack wrote: »
    Light hearted thread....I dunno , probally. He's clean years now and happily married .

Yeah that suddenly got bit serious....but interesting question though..

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Life is a random series of events triggered by a random series of events triggered by a random series of events triggered by a...

Also, no move in life is the wrong move.

Fractal Life

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Magnetics

Scripted? No

But genetics and your brain chemistry push you onto a certain track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My life is like dumb and dumber meets requiem for a dream!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Is there any evidence that the course of you're life is preordained rather than random?thought I heard some scientists were leaning in the preordained direction.

I'm curious... what scientists are we talking about?

It's completely and utterly random.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

My life is totally random, I come and go as I please, I don't do that sheep mentality thing.

I find it hard to conform to any latest trends or following the crowd.

I do pay my bills and look after my son and other family commitments, but being a happily single guy in his late 30s my lifestyle is very adventurous :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm curious... what scientists are we talking about?

It's completely and utterly random.

It's not completely random you're controlled to a large extent by your enviroment,someone from a poor backround probably won't become a doctor or a pilot for example.
    It's curious to think how much your circumstances control you or vica versa and how responsible you are for your actions if you have no control over your destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Classic physics tells us that everything has a cause and effect, which means that in essence everything is on a set unalterable course - the chemicals in your brain, which make you act the way you do, have been set in motion and you cannot willfully alter that. If you do wilfully alter that, then that was already supposed to happen, so you didn't alter it all.

However we do know now the classic physics only holds true when dealing with objects at our own size. Once you get down to the atomic level or up to the planetary size, classic physics becomes less accurate and the rules it prescribes don't hold quite so true.

For example, one of the laws we take for granted is that you cannot create or destroy energy, only change its form. But then we discovered that matter literally pops in and out of existence, seemingly at random*. At the quantum level, the behaviour of particles is unpredictable, in many cases the particles can effectively exists in multiple places at once (for the purposes of calculations), meaning that you cannot say for certain what they will do next.

What this means overall is that if you were to know the position of every object in the universe right now, you could probably make a relatively accurate prediction in terms of what it will look like in 100 years, to within say 99.99% accuracy. That accuracy will diminish the further forward you try to predict as the number of possible variables increases (probably exponentially, a physicist would know).

So the answer to the question is that for all intents and purposes your life is pre-ordained, but the course of existence itself is not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Keith300

keith16 wrote: »
    My life has been extraordinary
    Blessed and cursed and won
    Time heals but I'm forever broken
    By and by the way...
    Have you ever heard the words
    I'm singing in these songs?
    It's for the girl I've loved all along
    Can a taste of love be so wrong?

That's lovely Keith.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Keith300

seamus wrote: »
    Classic physics tells us that everything has a cause and effect, which means that in essence everything is on a set unalterable course - the chemicals in your brain, which make you act the way you do, have been set in motion and you cannot willfully alter that. If you do wilfully alter that, then that was already supposed to happen, so you didn't alter it all.

However we do know now the classic physics only holds true when dealing with objects at our own size. Once you get down to the atomic level or up to the planetary size, classic physics becomes less accurate and the rules it prescribes don't hold quite so true.

For example, one of the laws we take for granted is that you cannot create or destroy energy, only change its form. But then we discovered that matter literally pops in and out of existence, seemingly at random*. At the quantum level, the behaviour of particles is unpredictable, in many cases the particles can effectively exists in multiple places at once (for the purposes of calculations), meaning that you cannot say for certain what they will do next.

What this means overall is that if you were to know the position of every object in the universe right now, you could probably make a relatively accurate prediction in terms of what it will look like in 100 years, to within say 99.99% accuracy. That accuracy will diminish the further forward you try to predict as the number of possible variables increases (probably exponentially, a physicist would know).

So the answer to the question is that for all intents and purposes your life is pre-ordained, but the course of existence itself is not.

Most smart people come to this conclusion eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I don't think there is such a thing as true random, only the perception of randomness. Everything can be predicted, the only thing that stops us is not having access or awareness of all the variables involved.

If we had the tools to accurately map somebodies brain, and a computer powerful enough to run the simulation, we could very accurately predict the actions of a person in a controlled environment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's not completely random you're controlled to a large extent by your enviroment,someone from a poor backround probably won't become a doctor or a pilot for example.
    It's curious to think how much your circumstances control you or vica versa and how responsible you are for your actions if you have no control over your destiny.

And you think these environmental factors aren't random? That I had some sort of control over where and when I was born?

All I have control over is how I react to the randomness I'm faced with in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

seamus wrote: »

I hadn't expected to get a hard on reading that, but there you go- an example of a random external control over our physical self.

I think some people will choose to exercise their free will more than others, and overcome the challenges presented by external controls over their physical selves, so in that respect at least, yes, an individual has control over their own life.

There's always ways around everything, it just takes enough determination to examine the alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Random, definitely random.

If it was scripted, whoever wrote it is a prick.

Advertisement