Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught between a Rock and a hard place...

Options
  • 13-08-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

I'm referring to the Rock of Gibraltar and Spain.

We've all seen the sabre rattling and heard the nationalistic noise deployed by Spain as an attempt to divert attention away from the current scandal involving the People Party and Mr. Rajoy.

But here's the thing.

Via the inception of the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, Spain ceded the territory to Britain.

But Spain has two exclave territories of Ceuta and Melilla within Moroccan territory. There are also a number of islands such as Perejil Island which Morocco also claim.

Thus, by Spanish logic, they should hand over Ceuta and Melilla straight back to Morocco given their ownership of them stems from the same colonial pathways that the UK took.

Just my two cents.

But knowing this is AH, a number of posters, probably due to their own nationalistic hatred of anything UK, will defend Spain's claim over the territory.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

They have rejected the Spanish in two separate referendums, the Spanish claims are nothing more then good oul imperialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

wazky wrote: »
    They have rejected the Spanish in two separate referendums, the Spanish claims are nothing more then good oul imperialism.
    Whist you! Don't you know only the Anglo Saxons can be imperialistic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Inistrahull, an island off the North Donegal coast, was apparently once part of Greenland. If the Danes ever get wind of that we're screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I'm referring to the Rock of Gibraltar and Spain.

We've all seen the sabre rattling and heard the nationalistic noise deployed by Spain as an attempt to divert attention away from the current scandal involving the People Party and Mr. Rajoy.

But here's the thing.

Via the inception of the Treaty of Utrecht

Im sorry, i got this far and now i cant get the music out of my head while reading the rest of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Whist you! Don't you know only the Anglo Saxons can be imperialistic!

Sure that whole business was just a misunderstanding!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Why does the UK even want it? They already have bases on Cyprus to keep them close to the Mid East, why do they want the cost of Gib as well? For whatever reason the British have only managed to hold on to rather pointless and costly parts of the empire like the Falklands and Gibraltar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Why does the UK even want it? They already have bases on Cyprus to keep them close to the Mid East, why do they want the cost of Gib as well? For whatever reason the British have only managed to hold on to rather pointless and costly parts of the empire like the Falklands and Gibraltar.
    It costs them money, like Northern Ireland they'd love to dump it but they have an obligation to their citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I would think its due to the fact that the vast majority of actual people who live there want to remain British. If they ever voted to go with Spain (or Argentina) then I honestly don't think the British would put up much opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement