Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gibraltar

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

may as well say the same about the North or Wales I guess.... people don't like being MADE to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What harm would it do if Gibraltar was handed back to the spanish government surely the Gibraltarians can still live in Gibraltar but under the spanish government instead.

Two referendums have said otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

We'll put our hands up, should be OK, not armed

BLAM, BLAM, BLAM

.....too late !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

It's something to do with monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2380286/Spain-escalates-Gibraltar-stand-stopping-10-000-vehicles-leaving-Rock-sparking-hour-border-delays-86F-heat.html

Gibraltar surely belong to Spain right!

I know a few might say what about Canary Islands right next to north west of Africa but Gibraltar's territory covers 6.843 square kilometres (2.642 sq mi) and shares a 1.2-kilometre (0.75 mi) land border with Spain (The bold bit i copy and paste it from wikipedia)

What harm would it do if Gibraltar was handed back to the spanish government surely the Gibraltarians can still live in Gibraltar but under the spanish government instead.

Mmmmmmmm! Should the 26 counties be returned to the Uk? Sure what harm would it do?:D

Have been in Gibraltar on numerous occasions, from my experience the Gibraltarians are more British than Uk.

A subject for another day perhaps?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Well, the Spainards are quite entitled to check every single vehicle and person crossing the border, there is nothing illegal in that. Long may they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The Gibraltarians don't want to be part of Spain - there have been two referendums and both times they voted to stay part of the U.K./their own state. It's been ruled by the U.K. since 1713, all the people who live there have grown up under this regime, as did their parents and grandparents (not including immigrants, obviously). Following your logic, what harm would it be if Ireland was "handed back" to Britain?

I've been there a couple of times, most recently last summer. There are Union Jacks everywhere (and Spanish flags everywhere on the other side of the border) and it very much resembles the U.K. in most ways. Sad to see this sort of fighting going on though, you'd think after 300 years it would stop being a point of contention...

I'm not saying I think it should be British rather than Spanish, btw, it's a very weird place and a weird situation. I just think we should leave it to the inhabitants...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

2 referendums and they both showed that 99% of the people want it to remain as a British territory.

Just because it's beside it doesn't mean it belongs to it, it belongs to who the people decide it belongs to. Gibraltar is British and so is the Falklands according to its citizens.

So what harm you ask? Harm of handing over your citizens to a country that 99% of them doesn't want to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Spain uses this as a distraction from its economic meltdown and the abysmal methods the government has to employ to try and ameliorate the damaged economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They even have an offical Football team now. World Cup 2022 is theres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

Mmmmmmmm! Should the 26 counties be returned to the Uk? Sure what harm would it do?:D

Have been in Gibraltar on numerous occasions, from my experience the Gibraltarians are more British than Uk.

A subject for another day perhaps?:)

when i think of Gibraltarians i think of eva carneiro (chelsea physio)

Spain uses this as a distraction from its economic meltdown and the abysmal methods the government has to employ to try and ameliorate the damaged economy.

Well said! ::)

is there many irish living in Gibraltar, i never been there but just wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yep basically this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,068 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

is there many irish living in Gibraltar, i never been there but just wonder

That would be the 1% that voted to be Spanish.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltarian_people

Gibraltarians are a racial and cultural mixture of the many immigrants who came to the Rock of Gibraltar over three hundred years. They are the descendants of economic migrants who came to Gibraltar following its capture by an Anglo-Dutch force in 1704. All but 70 of the existing population of 4,000 fled to the surrounding Campo de Gibraltar.[4] The few Spaniards who remained, left in 1727 when Gibraltar was subjected to its second Spanish siege.
    Most Gibraltarian surnames are typically of Mediterranean extraction. The exact breakdown is as follows:
    ]
    1 British 27%
    2 Spanish (excluding Minorcan)24%
    3 Italian 19%
    4 Portuguese11%
    5 Maltese 8%
    6 Jewish 3%
    7 Minorcan 2%
    8 Other 4%
    9 Unassigned2%

Not very British is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Is there anything to be said for a civil war? They're great gas altogether

Most Gibraltarian surnames are typically of Mediterranean extraction. The exact breakdown is as follows:
    ]
    1 British 27%
    3 Italian 19%
    4 Portuguese11%
    5 Maltese 8%
    6 Jewish 3%
    7 Minorcan 2%
    8 Other 4%
    9 Unassigned2%

Not very British is it

You're saying it's not British because only 27% have a British surname? :confused: It's a territory, it's not Britian.

People who live there now came from a lot of places.

Whatever about surnames, British is still the most common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltarian_people

Gibraltarians are a racial and cultural mixture of the many immigrants who came to the Rock of Gibraltar over three hundred years. They are the descendants of economic migrants who came to Gibraltar following its capture by an Anglo-Dutch force in 1704. All but 70 of the existing population of 4,000 fled to the surrounding Campo de Gibraltar.[4] The few Spaniards who remained, left in 1727 when Gibraltar was subjected to its second Spanish siege.
    ]
    1 British 27%
    3 Italian 19%
    4 Portuguese11%
    5 Maltese 8%
    6 Jewish 3%
    7 Minorcan 2%
    8 Other 4%
    9 Unassigned2%

Not very British is it

Looking at your stats, the majority are British:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sice when did 27% become a majority?:confused:

• Advertisement

read it again the british are not the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2380286/Spain-escalates-Gibraltar-stand-stopping-10-000-vehicles-leaving-Rock-sparking-hour-border-delays-86F-heat.html

Gibraltar surely belong to Spain right!

I know some say what about Canary Islands right next to north west of Africa but Gibraltar's territory covers 6.843 square kilometres (2.642 sq mi) and shares a 1.2-kilometre (0.75 mi) land border with Spain (The bold bit i copy and paste it from wikipedia)

Hope that stops - I'm going there in three weeks time. Should you read the Daily Mail? http://shouldireadthedailymail.com/

The Spanish have a cheek anyway - they hold bits of Moroccan soil.

Ceuta http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceuta

Melilla http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilla

and the plazas de soberanía. Maybe they should give these back first!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plazas_de_soberan%C3%ADa

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    You're saying it's not British because only 27% have a British surname? :confused: It's a territory, it's not Britian.

People who live there now came from a lot of places.

Whatever about surnames, British is still the most common.

but someone who been there a few time just posted there are British flag everywhere in Gibraltar !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

but someone who been there a few time just posted there full of British flag in Gibraltar !

So even though they aren't British they still voted to remain a British territory?

So even though they aren't British they still voted to remain a British territory?

ok i give you that one

but someone who been there a few time just posted there are British flag everywhere in Gibraltar !

What exactly is your point?

Are you antiBritish? Are you a SF supporter?

Back in the 80's 3 members of an IRA unit were intercepted and killed as they planned to blow the town centre to pieces. Very brave move indeed to destroy the lives of people representing many nationalities and religions.

The Gibraltarians are kind hard working people who simply want to get on with their lives.

Spain should stop their antics and put food in the mouths of their many starving citizens.

Who is laughing now ?

Hang on..what are you saying??

The stats you put up were about surname origins in Gibraltar which has nothing to do with this, the British didn't arrive there last year or anything.

The people who live there chooses to stay as a British territory, like it has been for 300 years.

read it again the british are not the majority

No but the majority of Gibraltarians voted to remain a British colony on at least 2 occasions, indeed as recently as 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

The people of Gibraltar are British Citizens and, yes, they voted to remain a British Overseas Territory twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's a bloody horrid place (as are a few other of their territories), but it's British until the people living there say otherwise.

Advertisement