Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost rapes in Mennonite community

Options
  • 12-08-2013 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.vice.com/read/the-ghost-rapes-of-bolivia-000300-v20n8

I cannot stop thinking about this since I read it recently. There are families in a Mennonite community where mothers and their daughters were drugged and raped, and those in the gangs which did it seem to have gotten off without any criminal sanction. Its a shocking story to read, and seems to show how vulnerable women are when men in a religious community don't want to know about or can't deal with sexual violence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This is beyond upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Another reason to abolish organised Religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

Jesus that's a shocking article. Those poor women and kids need to be taken away and given better safer lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

ive been watching that show breaking amish. one of the girls is mennonite. but they left the religion and said that some of the men in the community were totally sick the stuff they do.i wont go into detail. they dont have sex eduction so they are very uneducated in the area. those poor women. i mean there were massive protests in india over recent rapes. this should be done to help these women too. its not their fault what religion they are in. they were born into it but they shouldnt have to have this happen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Lets not forget that it mentions that men and boys could have been victims too. People capable of such horrific acts don't differentiate between age or gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Those poor children of Abraham Enns look petrified in that photo on page 3 of the article.

Bolivian gov need to step in here.......no religion should be above the law of the land. I'd be furious that these people effectively self govern if I was a regular Bolivian citizen.

Disgusting behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Another reason to abolish organised Religion.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused at your comment.

Chucken wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused at your comment.

The traditional religious beliefs of this cult, sorry, colony breed ignorance, lack of education, a blind belief that allows these people to be manipulated, controlled and abused. The fear of some mythical deity that means these women need to "forgive" their rapists or they won't get into Heaven. The lack of sex education given to this population because sex is seen as "immoral". The fact that they genuinely believe in the Bible (or at least the "Elders" who read it on their behalf and iterpret it very loosely) and follow its archaic laws that frankly, have no place in this day and age. These people are above the law because they are governed by religion. It's clearly an infringement on their basic human rights (ironic, that they have a right to religion) and it's not doing them any good..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The traditional religious beliefs of this cult, sorry, colony breed ignorance, lack of education, a blind belief that allows these people to be manipulated, controlled and abused. The fear of some mythical deity that means these women need to "forgive" their rapists or they won't get into Heaven. The lack of sex education given to this population because sex is seen as "immoral". The fact that they genuinely believe in the Bible (or at least the "Elders" who read it on their behalf and iterpret it very loosely) and follow its archaic laws that frankly, have no place in this day and age. These people are above the law because they are governed by religion. It's clearly an infringement on their basic human rights (ironic, that they have a right to religion) and it's not doing them any good..

Sorry but that reads like the women are to blame for getting drugged and raped :confused:

Do you think if they werent religious they wouldnt have been subjected to this horrific crime?

Sorry but that reads like the women are to blame for getting drugged and raped

Do you think if they werent religious they wouldnt have been subjected to this horrific crime?

Talk about deliberate misinterpretation. My point is perfectly valid & logical. Nowhere did I say that.

Have you read the five pages of this article?

Say a rape victim gets stoned to death for having sex outside marriage. Was she raped because of her religion? No. Is she punished because her religion condemns her (supposed) actions? Yes. Should she get the physical/emotional help that she needs to recover? Yes. Should her attacker be given a punishment/
    rehabilitation/ chance to make amends that is in line with human rights? Yes.

If ANY religion prevents this then, in my eyes, that's an atrocity that needs rectifying.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Those poor children of Abraham Enns look petrified in that photo on page 3 of the article.

Bolivian gov need to step in here.......no religion should be above the law of the land. I'd be furious that these people effectively self govern if I was a regular Bolivian citizen.

Disgusting behaviour.

Sadly this sort of abuse and denial/acceptance of abuse seems quite prevalent in closed communities.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=316371&page=1

If religious communities are going to be allowed live outside society, it should be mandatory that child protection officers from local authorities check on the welfare of children otherwise isolated.

The Mennonite story is horrific beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But do you not think man ( I mean man as in men and women ) uses religion as a clock for all sorts of evil I.e, Then tendency toward evil precedes religion

mariaalice wrote: »
    But do you not think man ( I mean man as in men and women ) uses religion as a clock for all sorts of evil I.e, Then tendency toward evil precedes religion

Of course, it's just one of a number of handy covers.

If the abusers didn't have religion to hide behind they'd have some other mechanism to enable them to operate. Bad people will find a way to do bad things, that's why any kind of power should be transparent and accountable.

Whether you dislike their religion or not, it wasn't their religion that raped them.

They were raped, by rapists, who didn't do it for any God. Implying that they're ignorant and foolish and allowed this to happen to them just because you might have a chip on your shoulder about religion is at best disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Whether you dislike their religion or not, it wasn't their religion that raped them.

They were raped, by rapists, who didn't do it for any God. Implying that they're ignorant and foolish and allowed this to happen to them just because you might have a chip on your shoulder about religion is at best disgusting.

While what you say is true, religion has been and still is one of the most handy covers for doing evil, and maybe it is no harm to question why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The problem is, how much of a right we have to force certain society to live according to our rules if they don't want to. Outside interference often does more harm than good. And that goes for any kind of societies, the ones influenced by religion or by some other idea. Dealing with the rapes "our way" might not be of any benefit to them either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm not into cultural relativism when it comes to stuff like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mariaalice wrote: »
    While what you say is true, religion has been and still is one of the most handy covers for doing evil, and maybe it is no harm to question why that is.

I'd say it's lack of education and knowledge rather than that particular religion. I would imagine the religion has rules against sexual misconduct, but they are struggling to define it or control it because they don't have the ability due to lack of education.

Enforced or willful ignorance never comes to any good end.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm not into cultural relativism when it comes to stuff like this

Should we bomb UAE then? Without cultural relativism you can have war all the time and at the end of it, nobody will be any happier. And what would you think if somebody with different values would be telling us that our way of life is wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

pwurple wrote: »
    I'd say it's lack of education and knowledge rather than that particular religion. I would imagine the religion has rules against sexual misconduct, but they are struggling to define it or control it because they don't have the ability due to lack of education.

Enforced or willful ignorance never comes to any good end.

Organised Religion is about control. Controlling what people think, what people wear, how they behave, but most importantly of all, controlling who makes their decisions. The degree of control varies, but it all has the same purpose: make people give up control to a usually patriarchal hierarchy who act in the their own interests.

So religion creates an environment where abusers flourish because it teaches followers not to question, not to speak up, and to submit control of their lives to another person.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

meeeeh wrote: »
    Should we bomb UAE then? ...

Wtf?

Wtf?

That was an example. If you remember that Norwegian woman who was imprisoned after being raped, it is clear they have appalling treatment of women. Same goes for the people in article posted above. There are only two options either you force people to deal with things your way or let them deal as they would.

I have no love for religion, but neither do I believe that our norms, our moral standards or our beliefs are any better than anybody else's. They are different, I certainly would not want to live like Mennonites but I think that probably they wouldn't want to live like me either. I might be cynic or cultural relativist but it is not people like me who start wars (as an extreme example), it's people who believe that everybody should stick to the better, their way of life.

That being said it is a failure of the state when they don't enforce the law and protect people.

Organised Religion is about control. Controlling what people think, what people wear, how they behave, but most importantly of all, controlling who makes their decisions. The degree of control varies, but it all has the same purpose: make people give up control to a usually patriarchal hierarchy who act in the their own interests.

So religion creates an environment where abusers flourish because it teaches followers not to question, not to speak up, and to submit control of their lives to another person.

So every religion do this? Hardly. And similarly, plenty of other societal factors do influence education level apart from religion. Poverty, drug abuse, geographical isolation.

Declaring from on high that it's all religion's fault? It's far more complex than your particular chip.
    snwrzHK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So every religion do this? Hardly. And similarly, plenty of other societal factors do influence education level apart from religion. Poverty, drug abuse, geographical isolation.

Declaring from on high that it's all religion's fault? It's far more complex than your particular chip.
    snwrzHK.gif

You're deliberately misinterpreting my point. You asked how religion could be at fault for these rapes. The rapists are ultimately at fault, but religion fosters an environment where abusers can operate more freely. Especially if a defining characteristic of that religion is to isolate from wider society. It is a significant contributory factor, particularly when abuse becomes widespread.

You asked how religion could be at fault for these rapes.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

snwrzHK.gif

While I agree that it's not religion's 'fault' it is because of their religion that these people, girls especially, are being raised in ignorance of sex and its effects. It is their religion that prevents them from seeking help from outside authorities. It is their religion which has prevented other rapists from being turned over to the authorities. It is their religion which means that the girls know so little about their own bodies that they don't even have the words to describe what has happened to them. And it is their religion which is apparently holding raped women as much at fault as the men who have abused them "...She was told that if she didn't forgive him, God wouldn't forgive her..."

meeeeh wrote: »
    That was an example.
    It was a pretty bizarre example. I'm not in the habit of advocating bombing people I disagree with, you included.
    I don't agree it's ok to wave our hands and say anything is ok just because a group of people do it. For the most part, they can do what they like outside of harming other people.
    I have no love for religion, but neither do I believe that our norms, our moral standards or our beliefs are any better than anybody else's.
    Well, I believe that raping 3 year olds and saying "well it's ok if you say sorry for a week then we'll drop it" is wrong. I do in fact think it is better to have standards where this is wrong.
    If you want to say that's ok let them at it, off you go.
    it is not people like me who start wars (as an extreme example),
    You were the only one to bring up wars and bombing in this thread.

It was a pretty bizarre example. I'm not in the habit of advocating bombing people I disagree with, you included.
    I don't agree it's ok to wave our hands and say anything is ok just because a group of people do it. For the most part, they can do what they like outside of harming other people.

Well, I believe that raping 3 year olds and saying "well it's ok if you say sorry for a week then we'll drop it" is wrong. I do in fact think it is better to have standards where this is wrong.
    If you want to say that's ok let them at it, off you go.

You were the only one to bring up wars and bombing in this thread.
    So what is your solution? What should we do? Complain on internet how terrible they are? Talk to them nicley? If you don't want to use force, what is left there. And btw plenty of 3 year olds get abused here and nothing happens to the abusers. Maybe we should deal with our own **** first before we decide that other peoples way of life is inferior to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Religion is the biggest jailer of women around the world.

It just so happens that most religions forbid women from holding any position of power.

Look at the UAE - one of the richest countries on earth with bustling cities. No poverty or isolation there. Their economy depends on bringing in foreigners to do their work ffs.

And yet women have the same societal standing as a stray dog.

Propping up individual cases and saying 'oh but we mustn't attack religion for fear of upsetting the wasps nest' is very short sighted and sows the seeds for oppressed girls generations from now.

I fail to see how, in the year 2013, anyone can look at any religion and see it as a force for good or even being of no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

One of the most disturbing articles I have read. Horrific, just shows the lack of education and respect. Brothers molesting, raping, abusing their siblings, grandfathers abusing 3-4 year olds. Just wrong, so so sad.

Advertisement