Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one...

Options
  • 11-08-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

...that can't understand this:

If I want to be an airline pilot, I need to train hard and complete the appropriate exams to ground theory and air law.

If I want to be a medical doctor, I need my primary degree in Medicine and relevant experience.

If I want to be a HGV driver, I need to have the relevant license to drive one.

But...

If I want to run a country, I'm already fully qualified but just need to be nice to a few thousand people for them to trust me to do so.

In other words, this is the only job in the world which requires no qualifications (in terms of responsibility) and it's the most important job in terms of responsibility.

My suggestions?

Anyone who wants to be a TD should have an honours degree in a relevant discipline, as well as pass a series of gruelling exams in economics and other relevant disciplines.

Abolish any party whip system and abolish the concept of party politics.

Impose a fixed wage of €30,000 maximum.

Give more power to the Senate to act as a check amongst other important new roles and functions.

Running a country should not be up to the people voting in whoever they like - the candidates should be well educated and show they can somewhat manage.

Popular vote for any random candidate fails and we realise this every second we see dregs such as Mick Wallace parading around the Dáil.

The floor is now open to AH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why should a politician be university educated? To me that is elitism and false assumption that university educated = competent

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Have public phone in contest, like the X Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Why should a politician be university educated? To me that is elitism and false assumption that university educated = competent

Because by not imposing restrictions, any old fool can enter the Dáil.

It may be elitism but the bloody job description is 'running a country'. You wouldn't say it's elitism about any other job though would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Like those damn university educated elitist doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

It may be elitism but the bloody job description is 'running a country'. You wouldn't say it's elitism about any other job though would you?

Ill enter you if you dont stop it with that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

If I want to be an airline pilot, I need to train hard and complete the appropriate exams to ground theory and air law.

If I want to be a medical doctor, I need my primary degree in Medicine and relevant experience.

But...

If I want to run a country, I'm already fully qualified but just need to be nice to a few thousand people for them to trust me to do so.

In other words, this is the only job in the world which requires no qualifications (in terms of responsibility) and it's the most important job in terms of responsibility.

My suggestions?

Anyone who wants to be a TD should have an honours degree in a relevant discipline, as well as pass a series of gruelling exams in economics and other relevant disciplines.

Give more power to the Senate to act as a check amongst other important new roles and functions.

Running a country should not be up to the people voting in whoever they like - the candidates should be well educated and show they can somewhat manage.

Popular vote for any random candidate fails and we realise this every second we see dregs such as Mick Wallace parading around the Dáil.

What would you consider a relevant discipline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

The relevant qualification that politicians don't have is that they have no track record of competently and successfully running private organisations - business.

College courses?! rote learning what you're told is coming up in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But...

My suggestions?

This comes up now and again. To cut to the quick, one of the most qualified - if not the most - leaders we ever had was Charles J Haughey, chartered accountant, qualified lawyer with a 1st class honours degree in commerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

As said on here before a taoiseach should be appointed rather than elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

George Bush went to university.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Running a country should not be up to the people voting in whoever they like -

Its called democracy.If people think a goat would do a good job well then that goat gets elected .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Maybe educate the masses that vote in these people first.

A fixed salary of 30k is hardly going to motivate the cream of the crop to attain your rigorous educational/training standards. That is a ridiculously low maximum salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

notnumber wrote: »
    Its called democracy.If people think a goat would do a good job well then that goat gets elected .

Vote for Goat #1

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Well if you can get that system put in place through a popular vote then maybe yes.

Exams - fair enough, they have to pass one set up to test their ability to hold the job.

But no university qualifications needed.

A bit like you can pass the bar without having to have gone to uni.

Also gladiators type physical tests. Podiums and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

But...

My suggestions?

So you want to ensure that only the rich and elite can obtain political office.
    Take a hike!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Elbaston wrote: »
    Well if you can get that system put in place through a popular vote then maybe yes.

Exams - fair enough, they have to pass one set up to test their ability to hold the job.

But no university qualifications needed.

A bit like you can pass the bar without having to have gone to uni.

Also gladiators type physical tests. Podiums and the like.

....with that bit of music from Star Trek.

Candie wrote: »
    A fixed salary of 30k is hardly going to motivate the cream of the crop to attain your rigorous educational standard. That is a ridiculously low maximum salary.

People who are motivated to commit to change in their country would be happy not to rip off the State.

Regarding the cheap reference to George Bush - he was a bit wacky alright but judging from his educational history, I don't believe he was as 'stupid' as he led us to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How much "running of the country"doTD's actually do?Civil servants do the day to day running,advisors provide the know how and the EU decide the fiscal policy.TDs are mere front men and women as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bertie has serious educational qualifications, so does Richard Boyd Barrett, so did Charlie as seen above, Gerry Adams passed his O levels, Mick Wallace graduated from UCD with a degree in English and History he even went on to get a teaching degree, education means squat if you are a corrupt fcuker, or in some cases dumb as ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Vote in my cat, Yuko #1. She is sick but she still keeps fighting. She can come through good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

If you abolish the party whip completely you make it more attractive for politicians to chase the popular vote with no repercussions.
    Good management skills aren't necessarily about micro-managing every tiny detail (or even having in depth technical knowledge) - it's about enabling others to do their jobs well.

The type of people attracted to power are often egotistical, narcissistic and venal.

kneemos wrote: »
    How much "running of the country"doTD's actually do?Civil servants do the day to day running,advisors provide the know how and the EU decide the fiscal policy.TDs are mere front men and women as far as I can see.

It's quite amazing how people turn to running the country as politics.

The point is it shouldn't be politics.

Job: TD/Potential Taoiseach
    Job Description: Running the country
    Qualifications: None

How come this doesn't strike people as farcical? Running and hiding behind the 'democracy' banner fails. The country is akin to a business, only more complicated, and like any job, you should need to have qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I'm voting for the goat too. She's called Lucinda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

George Bush went to university.

But he spent most of his time out of his head on coke pot and JD.

RustyNut wrote: »
    But he spent most of his time out of his head on coke pot and JD.

And still ended up as 'leader of the free world'.

The type of people attracted to power are often egotistical, narcissistic and venal.

I thought they wanted to change the world.:D
    Who knew? I know I need to get out more often.

And still ended up as 'leader of the free world'.

It's obvious, we all need more pot to be a success:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Hello and welcome to the 25th annual Dail Hunger Games!!"

Advertisement