Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papers, Please

Options
  • 09-08-2013 11:47pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ah, it's games like this that fill me with such hope for the potential gaming! 'A dystopian document thriller' might not sound like the most exhilarating concept, but what a wonder it is: novel gameplay mechanics, thematic depth (yes, really!), fantastically economic storytelling and characterisation, distinctive aesthetics... Mostly, it's memorable for the emotional responses it elicits - you're constantly torn between doing your job properly, being altruistic and trying to manage your family's well-being. Unfortunately, these tasks quickly to prove to be rather mutually exclusive...

Anyway, it's absolutely wonderful. 8.99 on Steam, a tad cheaper through GOG or Humble. No need to wait for a sale or its eventual bundle release: games like this deserve the full support.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I seen the Yogscast team play it a while back, & tried it myself. It's really good for all the above mentioned reasons. Very bleak & dystopian hue to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

2ezsrgw.jpg

Jorji.. will he ever learn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Godammit Jorji, get your shìt together.

Very good game though can be quite unforgiving when it comes to missing out on a detail because the game might not fully explain to you how to keep an eye on it.

Bleak game, though. Pesky hungry, cold family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jorji.. will he ever learn

I was this close to approving his handdrawn passport for sheer effort. I also love how he always walks away jolly and optimistic. I know the game is going to punish me for liking him, though.

"1234 - OKOK"
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Pesky hungry, cold family.

Don't forget sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Great little game this.

Amazing how such a simple idea can appeal to a wide range of gamers. (aka $$$$$$)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I am really intrigued by this game, though I wonder if it feels too much like work. Not sure if I can cope with heavy concentration after a day of work!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Amazing game. Guys go buy it! Currently holds a resounding 87 on metacritic too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Gave in and got this tonight. Have to say it's quite an interesting game. Good fun. Well worth a look. Jorji needs to stop! He just keeps coming! My game ended though because my family died, or just my son. How can I stop that...?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Does the paid for version have anything different to the free online version?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

humanji wrote: »
    Does the paid for version have anything different to the free online version?

Endless mode, and a story mode with 20 different endings.
    A few graphical changes here and there, and it's not exactly the same in the first 10 days as the demo was either.

You get to do more than stamp people's passports or detain them later on too, pretty funny so I won't spoil what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

'visitors to this country, must have a passport'
    'I have it here'

so why didnt you put it on the #%$#^&£ table..!?!?

I'd let my family die freezing and sneezing for an 'incinerate' booth mod sometimes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Wossack wrote: »
    'visitors to this country, must have a passport'
    'I have it here'

so why didnt you put it on the #%$#^&£ table..!?!?

I'd let my family die freezing and sneezing for an 'incinerate' booth mod sometimes..
    It a distraction technique.

Those people usually have a something to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

A crayon set ... A fecking crayon set .. That's the most expensive crayon set in the world ... I could have fed the family with that money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It looks really good. I just wish I had time to play it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Didn't know there was a free beta version on their website, will check it out, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Lads, how to you find out if someones a criminal? I tried searching for it, but nothings coming up. Keep getting a penalty because of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mister Man wrote: »
    Lads, how to you find out if someones a criminal? I tried searching for it, but nothings coming up. Keep getting a penalty because of it!

There'll be three faces in the bulletin on the second last page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

HXJolOS.png

Damnit, Jorji!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

My family are constantly sick and hungry.

Day 10, Aunt and Uncle - dead
    Son and wife - very sick and hungry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Went ahead and bought this after this thread piqued my interest.

Damn games forum. Always tempting me to buy games :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

SeantheMan wrote: »
    My family are constantly sick and hungry.

Day 10, Aunt and Uncle - dead
    Son and wife - very sick and hungry

Yeah my son and uncle died quickly enough the first time around. Mother in law wouldn't die. After playing endless mode for a couple of hours I've got a system of checking things. Second play through getting through about 13-14 people a day without a mistake. All the family are happy and my son got
    crayons for his birthday, made me a lovely picture
    Great game and story. Thought I would have been bored of it quickly but it's addictive fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Just finished the beta there. I was surprised at how much pressure I felt at trying to get people through quickly. My whole family died, but hey, what were they doing to advance the glory of Arstotzka? Nothing!

So it's been added to the wishlist. Does anyone ever actually clear their Steam wishlist or does it just keep growing out of control?

Having played the game for a bit i can certainly see why it's getting popular.

Checking passports and documents shouldnt be this addictive but it is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Well, got arrested on my first play through! Serves me right for getting desperate when trying to provide for my family!

Started again - same incidents seem to happen on the same days. Was hoping it might be a little more randomised. Still, always nice to bump into Jorgi with his antics again :) Much more efficient this time around so I have some savings (and the mother-in-law isn't threatening to die!). Of course, it'll probably be one of those games where if you feel like things are going ok, everything is about to change!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Picked this up on gog last night from reading this thread. Great game if not exactly "fun" if that makes sense. Always trying to balance how long you spend going over someone's papers versus how many people you can get through is a great mechanic. I struggle to get through more than 11 or 12 a day and that is with a cheat sheet I wrote out of all the places in each country beside me :D Still that sound of the citation sheet starting to print always gets to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'm fairly poor at the moment but I had to go ahead and get this game, I had watched some vids on YouTube, downloaded the beta tonight and played through I just had to get it, downloaded off steam, one of the great things about this game is it's tiny filesize, was playing in a couple of minutes even on my crappy connection.

I love the music and the graphics, I love how bleak it is, it's just so... Soviet. Jorji and other moments break the bleakness for a bit of a laugh though. Think I am on day ten or eleven, I had to stop and go to bed or I would have been there all night, and still I feel the compulsion to go downstairs and grab the laptop, haven't felt like that with many games as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Got to about day 13 i think and got arrested cus i didnt burn the 1000 bribe money and my neighbours reported my wealth, pretty sure my family was about to die so didnt really have a choice, god thats so bleak. Well time to go again :)

VinLieger wrote: »
    Got to about day 13 i think and got arrested cus i didnt burn the 1000 bribe money and my neighbours reported my wealth, pretty sure my family was about to die so didnt really have a choice, god thats so bleak. Well time to go again :)

I took the bribe money but when i got investigated it, i was cleared of any wrongdoing. I didnt get the money back though.:(

I took the bribe money but when i got investigated it, i was cleared of any wrongdoing. I didnt get the money back though.:(

Yeah i may have ****ed up and detained the guy who was supposed to fix it

• Advertisement

Didnt realise you could just go back a day and change the result its a pretty neat way to play the game

Advertisement