Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many counties have you been in?

Options
  • 09-08-2013 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

How many counties have you been in, and do you suggest I see any particular ones? I have been in Derry, Antrim, Armagh, Down, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Donegal, Sligo, Monaghan and Dublin. I feel I should see more of Ireland - but where exactly should I dander?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

35, 36 if you count Tipp N and S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

All except Leitrim,no plans to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

How many counties have you been in, and do you suggest I see any particular ones? I have been in Derry, Antrim, Armagh, Down, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Donegal, Sligo, Monaghan and Dublin. I feel I should see more of Ireland - but where exactly should I dander?

get to galway op

think longford and cavan only 2 iv never been too, but it is possible i drove through them without knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RobGJ

Ye, there is actually a good chunk of the country I've never visited. Have been to Dublin, Kildare, Cork, Galway, Kerry, Tipperary, Antrim, Kilkenny, Wicklow, Limerick and that's about it - obviously passed through a few others en route but ye, I've got to see more of this auld island..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Co. Wexfords a great spot..ya cant beat a night out in Goery or doing a bit of crab fishing in Cahore and topping it off with the attractions of Court town!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

All of munster, most of connaght except sligo and leitrim, stayed or passed through others, most of leinster except louth, wicklow, wexford, carlow. None of ulster. Aprox 17 counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Galway has often been suggested to me before. Very curious about Wexford, never hear much about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

All except Leitrim,no plans to either.

Parts of Leitrim are beautiful. Your loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hedge11

I have been in Derry, Antrim, Armagh, Down, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Donegal, Sligo, Monaghan and Dublin.

You must have flown to/from Dublin to avoid Louth & Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Parts of Leitrim are beautiful. Your loss.

I really don't understand why they're the butt of so many jokes. It's a lovely little county with a scenic short coastline. It would be in my top 5 destinations for a holiday or short break in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pherekydes wrote: »
    35, 36 if you count Tipp N and S.

:confused::confused:

In that case I'm counting Dublin N and S. Oh and also since Galway is so big I'm counting that as 2 too.

Anyway, the whole Tipp North/South thing is no more as come the next elections, Tipp is voting as a whole. Same go for car registrations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've been to Tipperary but I've never been to me.

Hedge11 wrote: »
    You must have flown to/from Dublin to avoid Louth & Meath?

Being to a county is different than driving through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hedge11

Being to a county is different than driving through.

No it isn't.

26 at a count. Haven't been to Donegal or Derry yet, two places I'd really like to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Does it count if you've driven through a county?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

callaway92 wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

In that case I'm counting Dublin N and S. Oh and also since Galway is so big I'm counting that as 2 too.

Have you counted Fingal, South Dublin or Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Rule of thumb when interrailing on whether to say you've "been to" a country or just passed through is to have a beer and a shit in said country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

CJC999 wrote: »
    I've been to Tipperary but I've never been to me.

I've been to Fairyhouse but I've never been to Meath....

• Advertisement

You can include places that you have driven through if you like. Personally I do not feel I have really been to a place and fully seen it just bombing through en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I really don't understand why they're the butt of so many jokes. It's a lovely little county with a scenic short coastline. It would be in my top 5 destinations for a holiday or short break in Ireland.

Would be.
    Can't now that we sold it to the USA to help pay off some of Ireland's debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Have been to all and spent at least a day or two in most; Leitrim is a beautiful county and the locals in the areas I worked and stayed in were, on the whole, very friendly and welcoming people. I've never understood the negative thing many Irish people have about Leitrim! I would feel very much the same about Limerick which also has an undeservedly poor reputation. Ireland is a beautiful country with areas of natural beauty in most if not all counties, stop the county-bashing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

You can include places that you have driven through if you like. Personally I do not feel I have really been to a place and fully seen it just bombing through en route.

Sorry Westmeath :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dublin
    Kildare
    Wicklow
    Meath
    Louth
    Kilkenny
    Wexford

Waterford
    Cork
    Kerry
    Clare

Galway
    Mayo
    Sligo

Donegal
    Antrim
    Down

17, just over half.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pretty sure I've been to all 32. Fermanagh is the only one I'm not certain about, certainly never spent any extended amount of time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Wicklow, Wexford, Dublin, Westmeath, Cork, Limerick, Clare.

I've obviously been in a few others when driving through the country, getting from A to B, but not sure if that counts?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Just the one OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Pretty sure I've been to all 32. Fermanagh is the only one I'm not certain about, certainly never spent any extended amount of time there.

You mean you've been to the 26 Irish ones and the 6 others in the UK

.....you know I'm only shoite-ing youse :p

• Advertisement

For some reason I though Adare was in Tipperary, it is not. So I've never been there - 25 counties it is. Drove through it plenty of times but never been in it.

Advertisement