Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone updated their Fair Usage Policy for Fibre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

They seem to charge suddenly.

Yeah so much for unlimited!

Hmm, the cynic in me thinks they might keep these new charges until they offload some heavy users then announce 'new unlimited fibre' next year.

Hard to know what their game plan is really. There's no way 300gb is enough for 4 or 5 people sharing a house or apartment. A 500gb cap would be more reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

Have many people been charged for been over the cap and since when was the usage policy changed? Does anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Simi wrote: »
    Just out of interest what kind of dsl do you have that gives you 3mbps upload? Seems like a odd number.

I checked the site & my usage meter is still greyed out & says unlimited. Has this changed for anyone else?

I checked my usage for the last few months & it's been averaging 200gb. Which is grand while everyone is away at college, but that's liable to double in December & January when everyone's at home.

My usage was greyed out for the first month or two after moving to Vodafone's broadband only package. Since I've upgraded to fibre I have to select the broadband connection from the drop down menu, in my case it begins with 0888. If I select my landline number the usage pie chart says no broadband on this connection or something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

tony-od wrote: »
    Have many people been charged for been over the cap and since when was the usage policy changed? Does anyone know ?

Only recently it seems.

They're a shower of sneeky bastards anyway for not notifying anyone about not, just started charging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Just in case anyone from Vodafone is reading this, please note that Netflix HD streaming equates to about 3GB per hour. So exceeding a 300GB monthly limit is in fact quite possible (and not a "very rare occurrence" as their boardsie rep would insist) in a household with 2 adults and 2 kids and NO sky telly. Never mind that the upload is counted too - time to put a stop to the cloud backups!

This is all too similar to the 4G offering in this country - plenty of speed but no practical use for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

meh, i just checked and im on 350Gig download so far this month, 40gig upload( i use the connection for work at the weekends ), so lets see what happens. Steam downloads of FF13 and a few other games along with updates have made a serious dent in that 300Gig, so this will be useless if theyre charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GreyAlien

I have recently got written confirmation from Vodafone informing me that charges for exceeding FUP does not apply on my older package, it does for the newer ones. If they do start charging me now, I at least have something to stand on with written confirmation.

GreyAlien wrote: »
    I have recently got written confirmation from Vodafone informing me that charges for exceeding FUP does not apply on my older package, it does for the newer ones. If they do start charging me now, I at least have something to stand on with written confirmation.

I changed my package from the €40pm (efibre+phone) to the €35 one (efibre only- no phone) at the start of September, so I think that puts me on the "newer" package. Of course, no mention of the change to FUP because of course "nothing has changed in the Ts & Cs". Well dammit.

I'm really confused by this now.I never checked the usage before I saw this thread and ours is apparently regularly over 300gb but have not been charged.So am I correct in thinking vodafone legacy packages are still unlimited?
    Its apparent that vodafone don't have a coherent policy but i don't want to end up on the wrong side of a massive charge.

I'm really confused by this now.I never checked the usage before I saw this thread and ours is apparently regularly over 300gb but have not been charged.So am I correct in thinking vodafone legacy packages are still unlimited?
    Its apparent that vodafone don't have a coherent policy but i don't want to end up on the wrong side of a massive charge.

Yeah it looks like legacy packages, ie anything before about July 2014, are still unlimited. However if you're an idiot like me and slightly tweaked your package with Vodafone recently then it looks like the new charge is applied. The proof will be in my next months bill though because it looks like I'll be over 300GB for this month at least.

• Advertisement

Yeah it looks like legacy packages, ie anything before about July 2014, are still unlimited. However if you're an idiot like me and slightly tweaked your package with Vodafone recently then it looks like the new charge is applied. The proof will be in my next months bill though because it looks like I'll be over 300GB for this month at least.

I renewed my package in September and nothing was said about the FUP change I have had two bills since neither had been charged extra and the the downloading was fairly high (so much so both sons had to be spoken to).So hoping it remains the same.Do you mind me asking if your usage meter is greyed out showing unlimited?
    300gbs is not really high enought with hd streaming these days.
    Does anyone find that the vodafone boardsie is getting more and more exasperated with each question about this?

I renewed my package in September and nothing was said about the FUP change I have had two bills since neither had been charged extra and the the downloading was fairly high (so much so both sons had to be spoken to).So hoping it remains the same.Do you mind me asking if your usage meter is greyed out showing unlimited?
    300gbs is not really high enought with hd streaming these days.
    Does anyone find that the vodafone boardsie is getting more and more exasperated with each question about this?

I didn't just renew my contract, I removed the phone part (removing 5 euro a month) which in fact changed my overall plan too, including the broadband. My usage metre has always shown 300gb, even before September. So I'll see what happens with my next bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

I didn't just renew my contract, I removed the phone part (removing 5 euro a month) which in fact changed my overall plan too, including the broadband. My usage metre has always shown 300gb, even before September. So I'll see what happens with my next bill.

I signed up in January 2014 and my usage meter shows unlimited. Does that mean that I'm not effected by these charges. Saying that I rarely go over 300Gb regardless, but that can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I didnt get charged for overuse this month, ~350Gig downloaded, ~40Gig upload

Would you be able to scan this and share with us?

Then we can say we got this written confirmation too as backup.

My usage meter says unlimited and I've been on Fibre since April of this year.

Hope it means my package is unlimited.

Actually just had a look through the bills and usage.

Several times we've gone over 350GB, 500GB even and thankfully haven't been charged.

Would you be able to scan this and share with us?

Then we can say we got this written confirmation too as backup.

My usage meter says unlimited and I've been on Fibre since April of this year.

Hope it means my package is unlimited.

Sadly it mentions that the contents are confidential or legally privileged. It further states not to copy or forward the contents on. So I'm going to play it safe.

Going to keep an eye on my next bill, as I'm pretty certain I've gone over. Had to reinstall a lot of my steam library this month, on top of netflix and other users in the household.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This might be of use to anyone being charged:

Internet

My Service Provider has advertised an "unlimited package" - what does this mean for me?

A number of telephone and broadband packages being offered are described as ‘unlimited’. In this context the word ‘unlimited’ would normally be taken to mean that a subscriber, having agreed to pay a set price, may make as many calls or spend as much time online as he or she wishes. However, some service contracts qualify the meaning of ‘unlimited’ by stating that it is subject to an ‘acceptable’ or ‘fair’ level of use by the subscriber. This is referred to as a “fair usage policy” in some advertising.

ComReg would like to advise consumers that any provision of a contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’.

Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they may be updated or amended.

ComReg expects each service provider to implement a clear, transparent and policy for dealing with customer usage above any set thresholds. The policy should set out the rules for contract termination, including penalties, the charges that shall apply for any use above the threshold/limit, and the policy regarding migration of the customer to other packages, if applicable.

ComReg advises consumers to carefully read the terms and conditions of their contracts and to be aware of the particular limits or thresholds that apply before purchasing.

So customers should not be left guessing it is up to Vodafone to clarify their policy and leave their customers in no doubt as to where they stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

dub45 wrote: »
    This might be of use to anyone being charged:

So customers should not be left guessing it is up to Vodafone to clarify their policy and leave their customers in no doubt as to where they stand.

The last paragraph is what they will get you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

It looks like they're now enforcing the fair use policy, which I've just found out about via this thread.

I've used ~330GB so far this month, and theyve throttled my connection to 2Mbps down and 1Mbps up with no warning, and I'm on their "Unlimited" package. No mention of their T's & C's changing, no comms at all.

Not a happy bunny!

• Advertisement

Sadly it mentions that the contents are confidential or legally privileged. It further states not to copy or forward the contents on. So I'm going to play it safe.

Going to keep an eye on my next bill, as I'm pretty certain I've gone over. Had to reinstall a lot of my steam library this month, on top of netflix and other users in the household.

Ah okay, that's no problem.

Let us know anyway how ye get on!

Here's hoping ye don't get charged!

It looks like they're now enforcing the fair use policy, which I've just found out about via this thread.

I've used ~330GB so far this month, and theyve throttled my connection to 2Mbps down and 1Mbps up with no warning, and I'm on their "Unlimited" package. No mention of their T's & C's changing, no comms at all.

Not a happy bunny!

I hit my 300gb limit sometime last week but I'm almost certain I've not been throttled, any slow speeds you experienced may have been a coincidence?

What I'm waiting for now is my bill, usually issued about the 10th of the month, to see if I'm being charged extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

I hit my 300gb limit sometime last week but I'm almost certain I've not been throttled, any slow speeds you experienced may have been a coincidence?

What I'm waiting for now is my bill, usually issued about the 10th of the month, to see if I'm being charged extra.

Speeds are back up to normal now, so hopefully That was just a coincidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

I am with Vodafone simply broadband fibre two months now, checked online Vodafone account and I downloaded/uploaded a total of 336GB

And yep, they have charged an extra 3 euro and something cents onto the bill

:mad:

BArra wrote: »
    I am with Vodafone simply broadband fibre two months now, checked online Vodafone account and I downloaded/uploaded a total of 336GB

Yeah the overage is charged at 10 euro per additional 100gb.

Now that they are charging for excess usage would it not seem reasonable to introduce an addon for additional data? Eg 5 euro for an additional 200gb or something? I'm willing to pay a reasonable rate for higher data usage.

Or the standard FUP quota be 350GB , not 300 as per their 10e per 100gb excess charge

When you log in to check your usage does it show as unlimited or 300Gb?

Where do you mean? When I log into Vodafone at home on the left it shows a pie chart showing % used with 300gb written by it

Where do you mean? When I log into Vodafone at home on the left it shows a pie chart showing % used with 300gb written by it

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Well got my bill for last month and no extra charges thankfully. Went over the 300Gb limit, on my account page it says 'unlimited'.

Advertisement