Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a decade to be a teenager in Ireland

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I'm a teenager now and it's not too shabby. If I had to pick another time though, I would have loved to experience life in the Victorian era.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

90's twas nice coming of age into a time when you could literally walk out the door of one job and into another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I was a teenager from '88 to '98....
    Good trick that. Most people manage only 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think people tend to have a very romanticized view of the past. It seems like life has gotten progressively better since, at least, the end of the dark ages. Even with our current economic problems if you take an honest look at the past, it's really a no-brainer, IMHO.

Now is the best time to be a teen.

My nephew carries a tiny device in his pocket that can, literally, hold every video game created between 1970 and 1995....and access the largest collection of data in human history, larger than every single library in Ireland, combined. He can listen to any song, ever, on demand, and can instantly communicate with his friends and family, no matter where in the world they are.

That's just a cell phone!

Look at crime, life expectancy, standard of living, common aliments of the time and now actually looks really nice. And that's 10x true if you are any type of person that might have been discriminated against - I'm not saying we have a Utopia now....but I'd much rather be gay in Ireland today than in 1970. Or an atheist. Or non-Irish, particularly non-white, non-Irish. Even most women would probably find the the 80s and earlier to be awfully sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes, there was some seriously great music in the 80s and 90s - but I'm sure there was bad music too , it just hasn't been as well-remembered! Don't judge current music by the chart stuff :D

The 80's had some terrible music, Stock, Aiken and Waterman most notably, Duran Duran were derided at the time, Mel and Kim, Salt & Peppa, that stuff.

10 years ago it was the 70's, 10 years time we'll have 90's pop stars wheeled out on chat shows, fondly reminiscing about their 15 minutes, and people not believing Oasis and Blur was 3 decades ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

child of the 90 grw up in the 90s , twas all right in fairness , all the benefits of the boom years and the knowledge of what it was like before , left me with respect for hard work and money. wouldn't have minded the 20s though real history happening around your ears

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Born in 1980 so I was a teenager from 93 to 2000. Think I'd have been better off being a couple of years older tbh, I always felt more of a cultural connection with Gen X than whatever we were (Gen Y?), my musical tastes would always have had more in common with friends older brothers/sisters than theirs (The Smiths, The Cure etc). I liked Oasis, The Prodigy and all that but, for example, by the time I got to see Radiohead live, they were promoting Amnesia because when they were promoting The Bends I was too young to be let go on my own and none of my friends had any interest in going anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Good trick that. Most people manage only 7 years.

meh you know what i mean.

Advertisement