Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persied Meteor SHower 11-13 AUG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Thanks, Ian. I was very saddened to see that map last year. There is almost no where within twenty miles of significant light pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Its horrible aint it? , people living in Rural areas are so fecking lucky at times like these!

Luckily though i could be heading down to Wexford near Blackwater to view them from there! FINGERS CROSSED! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Its horrible aint it? , people living in Rural areas are so fecking lucky at times like these!

Luckily though i could be heading down to Wexford near Blackwater to view them from there! FINGERS CROSSED! :D

lucky man,i have a holiday place not far from there

it will be stunning if you get a clear night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

If its clear any night around 11 or 12 from now you will see a few coming out of the north. I was in Delgany two nights ago and caught 5 or 6 in 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Aaaaaand my first night shift begins........ Sunday night :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'm working Sunday night as well, though I may be able to set up the camera to take some pics. I'd prefer to have a nice wideangle, but the 35mm f2 will have to do on the aps camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Iancar29 wrote: »

I can assure you Ian you'll have nooo problem with lights down there,ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Skies clearing up nicely here so hoping to see a few later.
    Anyone outside tonight should also look out for the ISS and the HTV-4 cargo carrier that's chasing it as its due to dock with it in the morning.
    Both going overhead at 11.00 and again 12.37 am west to east, the HTV-4 wont be as bright so may be harder to spot.

06z Cloud forecast for Sunday Night ... :)
    266416.png

AND WHATS THIS?! ... an UPGRADE for Monday night?! .... SURELY NOT?! :eek:
    266417.png

All in FI still in terms of cloud forecast folks ;)

So .. only SLIGHT amounts of excitement is allowed....

Jim-Carey_Excited.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I thought it would help if you have farm in front of house, I could not see the last one, maybe I was looking at wrong way lol

I checking this for new few nights!

• Advertisement

Popoutman wrote: »

True but this is the weather forum , for the WEATHER on the nights .. ;)

:D good point!

Fingers crossed for a cloud-free hour or two early Monday morning, so I can go and get a few snaps, and see a few Perseids.

Forecast for midnight tonight guys for those of you who are not in work tomorrow. You should definitely be able to see some , especially if your in a dark location. :)

266577.png

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Updated forecast for tonight midnight.

1151030_1402705139947592_1679818510_n.jpg

About 4 okta of cloud in Limerick at the moment, so somewhat promising that I'll get to see one or two later on..

In the Australian outback last year over 200km from a small town and 1,100km from the nearest real town. Dry season conditions on the edge of a desert so extremely low humidity. Was in a group camped out and we saw shooting stars regularly. When the sky is so clear you realise just how many of them there are. In fairness these conditions would of been among the best on the planet bar some observatory locations on top of mountains (I do plan on goin to a 2,000m peak nearby when I get a camera to get some starry sky shots).

Highlight was seeing one bounce off the atmosphere - well that's what we believe happened. It came in and changed angle rather abruptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Well, forecast for cloud cover wasn't exactly accurate tonight for Malin Head. Arrived there during ****ing monsoon season! lol

Anyway, seen a few meteors but didn't capture them on camera, however I did manage to catch the Milkyway!

Quality of the image isn't the sharpest because of shooting at an extremely high ISO and also because of my lens being too slow!

This was shot at F/4.0, ISO 6400, 10mm and a 30 second exposure.

1146567_1402803069937799_1689470851_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

I was out last night to have a quick look .
    I think I saw a satellite pass at 1045pm.
    I was facing north/east.
    No other action though:(

Maybe tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Caught one Persied meteor last night while watching the ISS pass over at around 11pm. It quickly clouded over though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Bejubby wrote: »
    I was out last night to have a quick look .
    I think I saw a satellite pass at 1045pm.
    I was facing north/east.
    No other action though:(

Maybe tonight.

That was the ISS, it was extremely bright as it passed last night. It's visible every night for the next few weeks.

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin#.Ugdq_qa9LCQ

Gettin very nervous looking at sat24 :( ...

If anything i say itll clear up after say midnight ... wish that blob of cloud to the west was further south ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thick loud in Castlebar,sadly. I was looking forward to it but as in so many recent years will be cloudy once again.

Thick loud in Castlebar,sadly. I was looking forward to it but as in so many recent years will be cloudy once again.

Theres a clearance coming in from the west.

http://www.sat24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

Evelyn just gave out some good info on the RTE weather a few minutes ago. Cloud should clear by midnight, look to the northeast and up to 60 meteors an hour could be visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Bsal wrote: »
    Evelyn just gave out some good info on the RTE weather a few minutes ago. Cloud should clear by midnight, look to the northeast and up to 60 meteors an hour could be visible.

Some good breaks in the cloud developing over Galway city at the moment. Heading away from the city lights shortly for some sky watching :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

went outside to check, alot of cloud around but luckily there was a nice patch of clearance to the northwest, saw 5 meteor's already altho only small ones.

I have just seen my first one, small and to the NE of Swords.

took a quick walk outside, but it's cloudy. I'll try a few photos later on when I've finished, and when I can locate my camera clip-in light pollution filter..

• Advertisement

I spotted a good few in the last 30mins in Swords, but its getting cloudy now. One in particular was really nice, it was an orange colour with a nice long streak.

Advertisement