Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prog Superthread

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,176 ✭✭✭✭

OK so I thought I'd start this thread for some discussion on the program side of music. I know there's a lot of fans around here, but hopefully can get some more going. Any band recommendations, general chit-chat, as I don't think individual threads get enough going consistantly.

Two bits of news lately that tickle my fancy of late are, firstly, Mike Portnoy resurrecting the Progressive Nation concept....except this time as a 4/5 day cruise around the Caribbean. Seems like a cool idea, albeit expensive.

http://www.progressivenationatsea.com/

Bar the high cost, and having to get to Miami first, I'm kinda hoping to be on it. Some cool bands playing that I'd really like to see anyway.

More interesting news from Mr. Prog himself Steven Wilson is that he has written some new music for the first time in an age. He says he only hopes to start recording next summer, so its a long way off for an album. On top of this he has Blackfield IV coming out, although more as a contributor. Then he has remixes(not just remasters as he explains) of Yes, XTC, King crimson, and Jethro Tull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I'm definitely more than partial to a bit of Prog alright. Can't say that Prog has a particularly substantial fanbase in Ireland though as it appears to receive little in the way of gigs compared to other Rock/Metal subgenres.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I've only ventured into Prog via Dream Theater, so hopefully this thread will throw up some quality bands

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I've only ventured into Prog via Dream Theater, so hopefully this thread will throw up some quality bands

If you like Dream Theater I'd recommend Circus Maximus and Symphony X.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Mushy wrote: »
    ...More interesting news from Mr. Prog himself Steven Wilson is that he has written some new music for the first time in an age. He says he only hopes to start recording next summer, so its a long way off for an album. On top of this he has Blackfield IV coming out, although more as a contributor. Then he has remixes(not just remasters as he explains) of Yes, XTC, King crimson, and Jethro Tull.

Sounds like Porcupine Tree is put on the back burners....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

More interesting news from Mr. Prog himself Steven Wilson is that he has written some new music for the first time in an age. He says he only hopes to start recording next summer, so its a long way off for an album. On top of this he has Blackfield IV coming out, although more as a contributor. Then he has remixes(not just remasters as he explains) of Yes, XTC, King crimson, and Jethro Tull.

That's a bit of an exaggeration considering his latest solo album came out this year and Storm Corrosion came out last year!

I think I read a while back that the new stuff he's writing is for another solo album with the same band as on Raven. Which is great news to me as I absolutely loved Raven that Refused to Sing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,176 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Sounds like Porcupine Tree is put on the back burners....:(

Yeah it is alright, but he has his reasons so fair enough. If he churns out more albums like his last then I dont care.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    That's a bit of an exaggeration considering his latest solo album came out this year and Storm Corrosion came out last year!

I think I read a while back that the new stuff he's writing is for another solo album with the same band as on Raven. Which is great news to me as I absolutely loved Raven that Refused to Sing.

Well nearly a year he said. So thats a long time for this guy. Id hope its the same band, but expectations would be through the roof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Gavin Harrison plays on this, has a nice pop edge to it. He's an American musician called Randy McStine.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

It's a pity more Prog bands don't come here but it obviously isn't viable for them. At least there's Queensryche in October.

I was at a couple of great Prog gigs in Glasgow earlier this year: Riverside / Jolly / Dianoya and Spock's Beard / Beardfish / Sound of Contact and not forgetting a certain trio from Toronto by the name of Rush. All great nights with music supplied by great bands and musicianship. Unfortunately though its down to sales. I was speaking to Ted Leonard from Spock's Beard after the gig and he would love to play Ireland but it isn't feasible for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I strongly recommend checking out the Karnivool/Tesseract thread for some good examples of Australian Prog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Can anyone recommend a Jethro Tull or King Crimson album to me? I'm not into prog enough to get way into their back catalogue, so even a compilation/best of would do.

Trouble is, there are so many compilations of both bands, not sure what a good one would be to start with...

seachto7 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Jethro Tull or King Crimson album to me?

Aqualung is certainly the one Jethro Tull album to have and In the Court of the Crimson King is the definitive King Crimson album.

1+ on both albums, absolute classics.

Excellent. Nice one! Tomorrow's listening sorted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Yay, a prog thread!! Like a few others I got into the prog side of things through dream theater. From there, I started to listen to spocks beard and transatlantic, from there I found out about the flower kings. Also a lad I knew gave me a listen to a symphony x song..... And from there I was hooked.

It's a pity not a lot of bands gig here, but as was said above, it's just not feasible. Good excuse to get to London for a day or two though!

It's a pity not a lot of bands gig here, but as was said above, it's just not feasible. Good excuse to get to London for a day or two though!

If there's a dearth of one particular type of gig in Ireland, it's Prog gigs for sure. Who was the last Prog band to perform here anyway?!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

i havent been to a gig here in years. last one i think would have been to in ireland would have been dream theater in vicar street on the six degrees tour

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Can't be a 'prog' thread with only 20 odd posts. Has to be long and rambling, and preferably packaged up in a gatefold sleeve!

In the interests of progging up the thread, I offer...

• Advertisement

hmm, what about Zappa, which album would be considered his masterpiece....

Passenger wrote: »
    If there's a dearth of one particular type of gig in Ireland, it's Prog gigs for sure. Who was the last Prog band to perform here anyway?!

Well Steve Hackett was here recently in Vicar St. Porcupine Tree played in 2010, but I'm fairly sure there's been a few in between....and by a few, I mean a few.

My entry to program was originally through some Rush(2112), but more in earnest with Dream theater. Then the good folks of this forum suggested PT, and from them I've discovered more bands than I thought existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

hmm, what about Zappa, which album would be considered his masterpiece....

No idea I'm afraid. I like Joes Garage though.

Devin Townsend Project qualifies as prog in my eyes, played earlier in the year.

Devin Townsend Project qualifies as prog in my eyes, played earlier in the year.

Definitely does. So there are a few, just not as many as we would like, or by who we would like.

If I won the euro millions I'd love to put on a one day prog gig. Rush, Steven Wilson, Anathema, Karnivool, Riverside, and one or two other local bands. It'd be a fine day.

Well Steve Hackett was here recently in Vicar St. Porcupine Tree played in 2010, but I'm fairly sure there's been a few in between....and by a few, I mean a few.

Ah, yes. I've attended all of the above but wasn't really equating PT or Devin as Prog though technically they would fall into that subgenre.

I was devastated Rush didn't come back for the current tour :(

Yeah but I don't think they would have got the same size crowd as last time. Hopefully on the next touring cycle, as it will definitely be overdue then.

Yeah but I don't think they would have got the same size crowd as last time. Hopefully on the next touring cycle, as it will definitely be overdue then.

I was kinda half surprised with the size of the crowd they drew for the gig in the 02. Though it was only their first gig so that fact probably created a hunger for the public to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

One of my favorite Frank compositions.

I was fortunate enough to see two DZPZ shows over the weekend in Urbana and Milwaukee (both about an hour and forty five minutes from me). OUTSTANDING shows. They really blew me away with their performance. They haven't performed 'Sleep Dirt' yet, but maybe one of these days.

As far as the previous question about "Frank's Masterpiece". That's a rough call. The man released such a large volume of music in a few different genres. Zappa fans will argue this to death. I do have to say that Hot Rats still blows me away every time that I hear it. It has to be considered as one of his best.

Advertisement