Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottie Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I know this is pure conjecture, and for me not really relevant, whether it's a meagre amount or a large amount the salary issue doesnt change the fact that it has been granted through nepotism.

However just buying a gaff recently and according to this thread not driving an expensive car wouldnt indicate to me that shes not been on 100k or more for any lenght of time at all. But she could be a good saver at the same time so it's very hard to know and in any event it's still as a result of nepotism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Personally I dont care what wages she is on. She could be on 50k or 500k.

Simple fact is she should not be in the job. How many people who deserve to work in RTE and as a radio broadcaster have got overlooked because she was given the job? I keep referring back to the Samantha Barry situation. This is RTE fault as well because they ran an advertisement campaign recently that would suggest they helped her.

She went for interviews and couldn't get in, yet she ended up in BBC and multiple other jobs before getting one of the most high profile in the World. Are we saying that Lottie Ryan who can't even interview 2 lads on a radio for 5 mins is a better candidate to Samantha Barry? Both would have been interviewed around the same period. Samantha is a few years old but not much. Yet RTE end up with Lottie and BBC etc end up with Barry.

Even at this stage after I don't know how many years on RTE, her claim to fame is that she was a runner on a TV show in America. Says a lot about her impact on RTE>

• Registered Users Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I know this is pure conjecture, and for me not really relevant, whether it's a meagre amount or a large amount the salary issue doesnt change the fact that it has been granted through nepotism.

However just buying a gaff recently and according to this thread not driving an expensive car wouldnt indicate to me that shes not been on 100k or more for any lenght of time at all. But she could be a good saver at the same time so it's very hard to know and in any event it's still as a result of nepotism.

There have been 240 posts on the Liveline thread today. There have been 127 posts on this thread in all of 2020. Correct at the time of writing.

That is a fact. What you are presenting as fact is just conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There have been 240 posts on the Liveline thread today. There have been 127 posts on this thread in all of 2020. Correct at the time of writing.

why are you so obsessed with either disproving or proving nepotism at RTÉ?

You can only have conjecture about these things. It's not a great thing to bring up after the passing of her father but Lottie was taken on as an entertainment news reporter, long with others that worked on RTÉ TEN as it was then called and most have remained there or possibly left.

It's really just a criticism of her presentation skills. How did she get her job initially? and why was she promoted over others? Does 2FM still do an entertainment minute and if not what happened to it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

I wish people would stop giving poor lottie such a hard time. She wont be around too long anyway , with all that talent shes sure to be snapped up by the beeb or itv....

I think she should be paid double isn't that how we manage to hold on to such talented people like Ryan turbridy , Joe Duffy .......

• Advertisement

Ahh now I understand. Yes of course there is only one way of knowing for certain the circumstances of her employment but in my own opinion based on her lack of talent, experience, progression or popularity and her family connection to an organisation who has a history of hiring the family members of staff I believe that she has obtained her role through nepotism.

You are entitled to your opinion to the contrary. Can you please name the person who hired her though an open competition and please provide details of this competition and I will happily revise my own opinion as I would be glad to see that nepotism was not at play here.

Please note that Lottie saying that she wasnt hired as a result of who her father was doesnt make it true. For example I could tell you that I am a famous football player - but this isnt true, I am in fact not a famous football player at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

PieOhMy wrote: »

Ahh now I understand. Yes of course there is only one way of knowing for certain the circumstances of her employment but in my own opinion based on her lack of talent, experience, progression or popularity and her family connection to an organisation who has a history of hiring the family members of staff I believe that she has obtained her role through nepotism.

You are entitled to your opinion to the contrary. Can you please name the person who hired her though an open competition and please provide details of this competition and I will happily revise my own opinion as I would be glad to see that nepotism was not at play here.

Please note that Lottie saying that she wasnt hired as a result of who her father was doesnt make it true. For example I could tell you that I am a famous football player - but this isnt true, I am in fact not a famous football player at all!

As I said yesterday I accept her word on the matter. Anyone calling her a liar needs proof.

As I said yesterday I accept her word on the matter. Anyone calling her a liar needs proof.

That says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I except her word on it but there are questions, they'll never be answered.

Do you expect her to go onto radio/TV and say “God I’m so terrible the only reason I got this job was because of my father”

She has to be fairly intelligent as she got as far as college so even she has to realise that after how many years on 2fm she has yet to get a slot nailed down. She has been pushed and shoved from one end of the schedule to the other to try find a slot for her and still nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭flazio

She's only temping for Zamberelli, she presents the entertainment news, which only exists to get in extra sponsorship money. She's harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Tork

flazio wrote: »
    She's only temping for Zamberelli, she presents the entertainment news, which only exists to get in extra sponsorship money. She's harmless.
    Expensive harmless though...

Tork wrote: »
    Expensive harmless though...

Got hard numbers to back that? Cos the way I heard it it's about €4 a year from every licence fee going to 2fm. If her salary is getting paid by the entertainment news sponsors than that's none of my business.
    My car is worth more than hers and I'm a sh*tty factory worker.

Hard number: 1 person who wasnt given an opportunity as it was taken by someone else with connections in rte. Very expensive for them.

I have no idea re salary and we probably will never know so as such it's not an issue for me. Even if it was 1 euro per annum it's still the same issue at its core.

What’s the cars about? Maybe I missed something

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What’s the cars about? Maybe I missed something
    She drives a mid 00s Toyota Yaris*. Not a Lexus, not an Audi, BMW, Mercedes or even Tesla. A little city car that probably isn't even worth €1,000.
    *Source Carl Mullan's instagram story where he pranked her as she was leaving.

The car somebody drives isn't necessarily a reflection on their wealth. There are wealthy people who pride themselves on driving old bangers and wouldn't be seen dead in a new car. Those old Yarises are great little cars too and there are still quite a lot of them on the roads. Maybe she loves the car and doesn't want to sell it because it's still running like clockwork. Maybe she isn't into cars and is happier driving something that isn't flash.

The next person to bring a family member into this, which person is a private citizen, gets an immediate ban. Sustained personal abuse is not OK. This isn't up for discussion. –Mod

She drives a mid 00s Toyota Yaris*. Not a Lexus, not an Audi, BMW, Mercedes or even Tesla. A little city car that probably isn't even worth €1,000.

So?

Captain slow on Top Gear was driving a rover for years, or a Panda or something like that because it was small and suited him around London.

Are you saying James May hadn't the money to buy another car??

*Yes it was a Fiat Panda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Lot of people drive well driven cars, sometimes cause they want to, sometimes it’s cause their partners have the fancy/primary car and they use there’s as a run around

https://www.hotcars.com/20-filthy-rich-celebs-who-drive-extremely-cheap-cars/

Can you add a link to this “Instagram story”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So?

Captain slow on Top Gear was driving a rover for years, or a Panda or something like that because it was small and suited him around London.

Are you saying James May hadn't the money to buy another car??

*Yes it was a Fiat Panda

He had a Rolls Royce Corniche and a Ferrari 430 at the same time as the Panda.

I think she was on €35K when she had the early morning weekend shift a couple of years ago. This also covered some occasional hours doing reviews etc. during the year for programmes like The Afternoon Show or Daithi & Maura (or whatever they were called).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Driving a old car I'm surprised by thought she would be a mini type girl she might be down to earth so
    Id say the Ryan's are very rich tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The car one drives is not a measure of one's wealth or income.

Just curious, do you accept everyone's word on every matter?

Do you expect her to go onto radio/TV and say “God I’m so terrible the only reason I got this job was because of my father”

She has to be fairly intelligent as she got as far as college so even she has to realise that after how many years on 2fm she has yet to get a slot nailed down. She has been pushed and shoved from one end of the schedule to the other to try find a slot for her and still nothing.

Private college. Fee-paying. Not a University through the CAO. They accept anyone who pays the fees. Not sure how that is considered proof of being "fairly intelligent"?

It doesn't matter how intelligent she is or who she is married to. The core fact here is that she is a mediocre radio presenter who continues to be employed by 2FM for no other reason than a family connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

nepotism in rte really?

nepotism in rte really?

It's more galling when the person who benefitted from their family connection is piss poor at their job. At the taxpayers expense too. She might be a lovely person but a competent radio presenter she is not.

Look this is going around in circles. If you are serious about putting her on the dole queue then build a case against her. Send upholdable complaints to RTÉ and the BAC. Highlight to opposition TDs how many complaints she's receiving through official channels and force the conversation.
    Fishing for thanks in a boards thread won't do jack.

• Advertisement

Private college. Fee-paying. Not a University through the CAO. They accept anyone who pays the fees. Not sure how that is considered proof of being "fairly intelligent"?

I have no idea what college she went to....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement