Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Photography - Film only

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Cameraman wrote: »
    I used film for years - B&W and transparencies - and if I thought it would produce better results - I'd use it (I still have a many of my old film cameras).

I'll take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

amdgilmore wrote: »
    I'll take them.

Sorry - gonna hang onto them until I retire - then will take up film again.
    That is - if any company is still producing 35mm film then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would have thought it did (negate the justification for charging more) - IF it's the end result which counts (which is what I believe).
    It's just the economic side of business that means it will cost extra. Maybe you or I don't see any additional worth in the final result but the bottom line is it costs more to do so the customer has to pay extra.

I do find that the old film photos from my youth have a certain appeal to them but I'm also pretty certain that if I wanted that look I could achieve it in photoshop in such a way that's easily replicable and cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's just the economic side of business that means it will cost extra. Maybe you or I don't see any additional worth in the final result but the bottom line is it costs more to do so the customer has to pay extra.

I agree that if you have to use something more expensive to achieve the required result, then you charge more to cover the extra cost. What I don't accept is that you need to use film in the first place - therefore shouldn't be able to justify charging more. I see it as more of a personal choice thing - not a quality thing.

Should I charge more just because my camera and lens costs a lot more than someone who has produced a great photo using a "enter cheap camera name here" ? I know there are other considerations ehre - but that's a similar argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I agree that if you have to use something more expensive to achieve the required result, then you charge more to cover the extra cost. What I don't accept is that you need to use film in the first place - therefore shouldn't be able to justify charging more. I see it as more of a personal choice thing - not a quality thing.
    I completely agree, although it wouldn't surprise me that if you give the customer the option they'd go for the more expensive option (for weddings in particular, not so much in other areas) if they believe it's better. From a business sense I wouldn't even give the the option unless they asked for it. Too much hassle, although if film is your thing you probably enjoy the hassle of it all.
    Should I charge more just because my camera and lens costs a lot more than someone who has produced a great photo using a "enter cheap camera name here" ? I know there are other considerations ehre - but that's a similar argument.
    Really you should charge extra, your recouping your costs and if you don't charge accordingly you'll be at a loss. I think there's a problem in this country in regards to quality and cost. We don't appreciate quality and over emphasize the importance of low cost. You could use cars as an example, a mercedes costs more even though it does more or less the same job as a fiat 500 90% of the time.

Although that said, weddings are probably the one place where people are willing to pay the extra as they've only got one shot at the photos and they should know they're better off with someone that knows what they're doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement