Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe stat - alternatives

Options
  • 01-08-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a few of these pipe stats(pic attached) in my heating system but find them troublesome and in-accurate. Have white and the orange ones. I have replaced numerous ones in case they were faulty but still have issues. System is wired and plumbed correctly, its just these stats dont always kick in at the desired temp and have to be manually adjusted maybe only a mm of two in either direction.

Just wondering is there any alternative, such as accurate digital ones or ones that have probes that can be plumbed into pipework?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

No photo attached to view, but I generally always use the Imit stats, and never had any problems with them

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

How many stats exactly do you have and what kind of system is it?

I have 1 at stove and 1 at manifold.

PureBred wrote: »
    I have 1 at stove and 1 at manifold.

You should only have one stat at the stove on the flow pipe. A few pics would be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Did you use the metalic type of paste that sometimes comes with the pipe thermostat ?
    This makes for better contact between stat and pipe.Ask in plumbing supplys.
    It could also be the layout of the pipes that are giving poor circulation before stat cuts in.
    It might be better to get a plumber to to throw his eyes over it. A second opinion can often spot something that we can't through boards.ie
    You have a good standard stat. and also you can get one plumbed in but its very much the same. ( same make also )

scudo2 wrote: »
    Did you use the metalic type of paste that sometimes comes with the pipe thermostat ?
    This makes for better contact between stat and pipe.Ask in plumbing supplys.
    It could also be the layout of the pipes that are giving poor circulation before stat cuts in.
    It might be better to get a plumber to to throw his eyes over it. A second opinion can often spot something that we can't through boards.ie
    You have a good standard stat. and also you can get one plumbed in but its very much the same. ( same make also )
    Agree scudo. I'm thinking the pipe layout too. Something seems wrong. That's why I asked for pictures.

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Agree scudo. I'm thinking the pipe layout too. Something seems wrong. That's why I asked for pictures.

To Pure Bred (just like my cats)!!
    Can you give a few pictures please, we might be able to spot something that might help.

Again eyes on the job is better.

scudo2 wrote: »
    To Pure Bred (just like my cats)!!
    Can you give a few pictures please, we might be able to spot something that might help.

Again eyes on the job is better.

Eyes on the job will always be better. But just tryin to save the op a few quid or make him aware if there's a problem

Eyes on the job will always be better. But just tryin to save the op a few quid or make him aware if there's a problem

I've no problem with that.
    Just trying to help also as is all the other good guys here. Just trying to give all the best advice we can. Keep up the good work, cheers.

• Advertisement

Lads, as I have said there is no issue with the system setup. When the stats work as they should the system is fine.

If I put 2 of these stats on the one pipe side by side they should both kick in at the same temp. While this works maybe 90% of the time, its the 10% of the time that is the issue. I just need more accurate stats.

Stat 1 is at stove to call pump which pulls hot water to manifold.

Stat 2 is at mainfold to call pump to circulate water to rads.

Stat 2 is needed as the oil can also heat rads. Stove is number 1 heat source. If stove is not hot enough then oil comes on automatically with this setup.

Lads, as I have said there is no issue with the system setup. When the stats work as they should the system is fine.

If I put 2 of these stats on the one pipe side by side they should both kick in at the same temp. While this works maybe 90% of the time, its the 10% of the time that is the issue. I just need more accurate stats.

Stat 2 is needed as the oil can also heat rads. Stove is number 1 heat source. If stove is not hot enough then oil comes on automatically with this setup.
    And you think this is correct????
    1 stat is all that is needed. Just because a system works does not mean its done right. On the 2 pipes going to the cylinder from the stove, is there a pump?

No Comment.

And you think this is correct????
    1 stat is all that is needed. Just because a system works does not mean its done right. On the 2 pipes going to the cylinder from the stove, is there a pump?

Stat 1 is connected to Pump 1 to pull water from stove to manifold. This kicks in once gravity has warmed hot water tank and stove to desired temp.

Stat 2 in on pipe coming from stove to call pump 2 to circulate water to rads.

Timer switch on oil and also wired to Pump 2 above to circulate hot water from oil burner.

Stat 1 is connected to Pump 1 to pull water from stove to manifold. This kicks in once gravity has warmed hot water tank and stove to desired temp.

Stat 2 in on pipe coming from stove to call pump 2 to circulate water to rads.

Timer switch on oil and also wired to Pump 2 above to circulate hot water from oil burner.

Sorry mate unless I see pics I can't help you. I'm plumbing a long time and have never seen anything like that.

Sound.

The best way to explain it i think will be with a diagram.

I'll draw it up over the weekend.

Sound.

The best way to explain it i think will be with a diagram.

I'll draw it up over the weekend.

Grand thanks

Manifold1.jpg

StoveStat.jpg

Manifold1.jpg

StoveStat.jpg

Where is your hot water cylinder. Are there pipes going to that from the stove?

Hot water cylinder is upstairs. The stove heats this first on a gravity feed. Then when hot enough white stat on stove calls pump on manifold. This in turn will heat orange pipe stat on pipe you see in 1st pic. This in turn call downstairs zone and heats rads.

If heat timer is on, it will only call boiler if orange stat is below say 55C. (ie. if stove is not hot enough)

• Advertisement

Hot water cylinder is upstairs. The stove heats this first on a gravity feed. Then when hot enough white stat on stove calls pump on manifold. This in turn will heat orange pipe stat on pipe you see in 1st pic. This in turn call downstairs zone and heats rads.

If heat timer is on, it will only call boiler if orange stat is below say 55C. (ie. if stove is not hot enough)

Maybe it's just me purebred but I'm still a little confused!! How many pipes coming off the back of the stove?
    Is there a pump on the pipes between the stove and cylinder?
    Again any extra pics would help

No pump between cylinder and stove. 2 pipes at back of stove. 1 going to cylinder the other going to manifold. Water in cylinder heated by stove as hot water will rise(gravity feed). Once this pipe/cylinder gets hot enough pipe stat at back of stove calls pump to take hot water to manifold.

No pump between cylinder and stove. 2 pipes at back of stove. 1 going to cylinder the other going to manifold. Water in cylinder heated by stove as hot water will rise(gravity feed). Once this pipe/cylinder gets hot enough pipe stat at back of stove calls pump to take hot water to manifold.

I'm more confused than ever now. Something's not right for sure!! Can you draw a simple diagram on paper for the pipe work routes ?? Include where the stats are, hotpress, cylinder, upstairs/downstairs and pumps

The system works perfect so I don't thing drawing it up will get me anywhere.

I am just looking for more reliable pipe stats! Digital if possible.

The system works perfect so I don't thing drawing it up will get me anywhere.

I am just looking for more reliable pipe stats! Digital if possible.

As I said earlier just because something works doses t mean its right, or by the looks of it, safe. It's probably the cause of your problems

what way woild you setup this sort of system.

1. Stove can heat rads and hot water
    2. oil can do the above.
    3. have both 1 and 2 linked so stove has precedence.
    4. imersion can heat hot water
    5. 2 zones in house configured with room stats.

what way woild you setup this sort of system.

1. Stove can heat rads and hot water
    2. oil can do the above.
    3. have both 1 and 2 linked so stove has precedence.
    4. imersion can heat hot water
    5. 2 zones in house configured with room stats.

There's no need to have the stove as priority. Either boiler should heat the house and water. Just depends which one is on. But the way they are linked has to be done safety and properly. That's why I wanna see a diagram

It was setup as the heat as a priority but I asked that the stove be number 1. I wanted it setup this way. Both could be on at different stages. I rely on stove for most of my heat.

It was setup as the heat as a priority but I asked that the stove be number 1. I wanted it setup this way. Both could be on at different stages. I rely on stove for most of my heat.

Ok. Well I can do no more I'm afraid until I see a diagram

• Advertisement

Do you know of any alternative to the pipe stat as shown in pics?

Advertisement