Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25% off 6 bottles of wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

O'Brians are doing a sale.
    http://www.obrienswine.ie/wine/current-offers/christmas-wine-promotions.html

20% back on the loyalty card as well
    Free delivery with over 60e spent.

I know they cant really compete with the Big supermarkets on price, but the service you get is friendly and knowledgeable.

Plus they have really nice wines.

Try asking a customer assistant in Tesco what goes well with a nice beef dinner. They will not be able to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

johnire wrote: »
    It would really suit me if it was still on until Friday night as Friday is the day that it would suit me to buy!
    True(ism) Bro

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Midnight Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Midnight Friday night.

at the latest 10p.m

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

brokenarms wrote: »

O'Briens' prices are a joke. Check out this 30% discount - http://www.obrienswine.ie/mas-belles-eaux-les-coteaux.html, reduced from 22.99 to 15.99. You can get the same vintage here for 15.95 - http://www.fromvineyardsdirect.ie/wine/les_coteaux.php.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

zac8 wrote: »
    O'Briens' prices are a joke
    I would tend to agree with you that they cannot compete with loss leading supermarkets and will tend to be dearer most of the time but you've just given an example where they are the same price as an online supplier and on top of that you can get a further 20% back if you bought 6.

Unless you can find that bottle somewhere else cheaper that would suggest you've given an example of a good deal from O'Briens and occasionally they do have some great deals.

I think the first deal I bought from reading the BA forum was cases of Dos Equis for €12 from O'Briens

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

groom wrote: »
    Unless you can find that bottle somewhere else cheaper that would suggest you've given an example of a good deal from O'Briens and occasionally they do have some great deals.

Seriously? I gave an example of how O'Briens massively overprice their wines to make their discounts look generous. While at the same time a tiny online retailer is selling the same wine at the same price as the O'Briens discount. O'Briens have significant purchasing power. Certainly much more than a small independent retailer.

Don't get me wrong - I do buy from O'Briens. But only at discount and when they do the 10% back on loyalty cards on bank holidays (or 20% in this case). But don't kid yourself that these are good deals.

Seriously? I gave an example of how O'Briens massively overprice their wines to make their discounts look generous. While at the same time a tiny online retailer is selling the same wine at the same price as the O'Briens discount. O'Briens have significant purchasing power. Certainly much more than a small independent retailer.

Don't get me wrong - I do buy from O'Briens. But only at discount and when they do the 10% back on loyalty cards on bank holidays (or 20% in this case). But don't kid yourself that these are good deals.

The advise and direction I get from the staff take the "lucky dip" aspect out of finding a wine I would like though.

That's worth paying a bit extra for. Don't you agree? They are a dam good off licence.

I am no expert on wine, not even near it, but I appreciate a nice wine for an occasion. I would not know one bottle from the next as regard age and the finer aspects of choosing a nice bottle. I would think most people would be same.
    Advise from a real person is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

The advise and direction I get from the staff take the "lucky dip" aspect out of finding a wine I would like though.

That's worth paying a bit extra for. Don't you agree? They are a dam good off licence.

I am no expert on wine, not even near it, but I appreciate a nice wine for an occasion. I would not know one bottle from the next as regard age and the finer aspects of choosing a nice bottle. I would think most people would be same.
    Advise from a real person is important.

I like my wine and know what I want, so I stay away as I do find them expensive versus other retail outlets. Most shops will give direction if asked, I see it as basic customer service and not something that should increase the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

cathalj wrote: »
    Can't see this offer online, is it in store purchase only ?

Anyone? can't see it online either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭georgem25

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone? can't see it online either

I couldnt find it online either!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

Ok which one of you cleaned out the Faustino No. 1 in Tesco Nutgrove :o(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

georgem25 wrote: »
    I couldnt find it online either!

it's online if you click food and drink

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,
    Searching for good deals on French wine and came across this nice Bordeaux for only 2euro.
    Who said Tesco did not give bargains.
    Pajoe

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

I've added 6 to the basket however no extra discount was applied.

The ad notes that "25% discount is applied at point of purchase and not when items are placed in the basket"

How could this work, as some people might only buy 1 or 2 bottles. They would get the discount without buying 6

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

came across this nice Bordeaux for only 2euro

Bordeaux Na Mona :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

It would still work out cheaper by the bottle. These are very pocketable for long trips though.

Hi,
    Searching for good deals on French wine and came across this nice Bordeaux for only 2euro.
    Who said Tesco did not give bargains.
    Pajoe

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

O'Briens' prices are a joke. Check out this 30% discount - http://www.obrienswine.ie/mas-belles-eaux-les-coteaux.html, reduced from 22.99 to 15.99. You can get the same vintage here for 15.95 - http://www.fromvineyardsdirect.ie/wine/les_coteaux.php.

Minimum order is 12 bottles though.

thomas01 wrote: »
    I've added 6 to the basket however no extra discount was applied.

The ad notes that "25% discount is applied at point of purchase and not when items are placed in the basket"

How could this work, as some people might only buy 1 or 2 bottles. They would get the discount without buying 6

I think what happens is is that you put the 6 in your basket and when they are picked and delivered and the discount is applied when they take the money from your credit card - perhaps someone can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

Hi,
    Does anyone know if the 25% off is also on in Tesco stores in Northern Ireland?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Does anyone know is this on Champagne/Sparkling wine as well? Normally they specify that it is but they don't seem to be this time. Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

Hi, just back home from Tesco. Yes its on sparkling wine & champagne as well as sherry and port if thats your bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

vicwatson wrote: »
    I think what happens is is that you put the 6 in your basket and when they are picked and delivered and the discount is applied when they take the money from your credit card - perhaps someone can confirm?

Yes, this is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

quaalude wrote: »
    Yes, this is correct.

I got 6 bottles delivered last night. The 25% discount was applied on the receipt I got from the driver even though it wasn't on the bill when I check out online. I also cashed in a €25 voucher for ordering online. Nice saving overall. The choice of wine in Tescos is a bit boring though.

CH3OH wrote: »
    at the latest 10p.m

So I should get the 25% off if delivery slot is Friday night 19.00 - 21.00 hours right?

CH3OH wrote: »
    at the latest 10p.m

Becareful with the 10pm slots and Alcohol .

The driver has to reject your whole shop(including the food) if he is running late.

Due to licencing laws.

Stick to 19.00-21.00 to avoid disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭crayon80

Becareful with the 10pm slots and Alcohol .

The driver has to reject your whole shop(including the food) if he is running late.

Due to licencing laws.

Stick to 19.00-21.00 to avoid disappointment.

Thanks very much, I didn't know that. You could be saving me from future disappointments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Diarmuid wrote: »
    The choice of wine in Tescos is a bit boring though.

Very boring! Went in on Tuesday but tbh even with 25% off, the starting prices are quite high and the selection is a bit crap so I decided to stick with my local offie where I can at least discuss the wines with the very helpful lady who runs the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Tesco have extended the offer for another week until 29th November

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lidl have a wine offer next week
    Six 750ml bottles for €24.
    aXMUwGrl.jpg

Advertisement