Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing On A Budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

There is no need to use it that often. Prep the car well and then put on 3 coats. After that put one coat on once a month to keep it toped up. Also apply it again to areas that you de-tar or use strong cleaners on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

If only halfords did home delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

None of the perfect body work packs left in Dublin it seems. Greedy f***ers buying loads of them. They should have had a limit on them. Seen on the bargain alerts thread someone got 9 in one Halfords that only had 10 available!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lidl have upholstery cleaner on sale from today, €1.99. Should be grand for cleaning car seats & carpets.

Couldn't help myself; picked up another 3 of those sets from Dundalk (along with a 4th, for a friend). Also picked up a Meguiar's clay bar and a Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer bottle (they only wanted one of the sets, but i didn't want to let the 3-for-2 go to waste, so I bought the extra products as I was essentially getting a buy one get on free on them.

Discombobulate; there are still a fair few kicking around other stores from what I can tell. I bought 10 of them all in all (though only 8 were for myself). Though in saying that, I fully intend to use them - I wouldn't sell them on or part with them (even for their RRP). That said, I didn't really have a struggle to find them about the place, either. For such a great value purchase, they seemed to have a fair amount in stock around the place (unlike the occasional Argos sale you get on here and the likes, where there's only one or two of a product to be found anywhere across the country). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

lol eight sets. I imagine it'll take you years to use all them :)

I was deciding between 1 and 3, thinking I might want to try some other wax by time I'd one set used, but at that price said I'd get the 3.

Couldn't help myself; picked up another 3 of those sets from Dundalk (along with a 4th, for a friend). Also picked up a Meguiar's clay bar and a Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer bottle (they only wanted one of the sets, but i didn't want to let the 3-for-2 go to waste, so I bought the extra products as I was essentially getting a buy one get on free on them.

Discombobulate; there are still a fair few kicking around other stores from what I can tell. I bought 10 of them all in all (though only 8 were for myself). Though in saying that, I fully intend to use them - I wouldn't sell them on or part with them (even for their RRP). That said, I didn't really have a struggle to find them about the place, either. For such a great value purchase, they seemed to have a fair amount in stock around the place (unlike the occasional Argos sale you get on here and the likes, where there's only one or two of a product to be found anywhere across the country). :)
    None left in Dundalk now though. You must be after spotting a gap in the market up there with that much! :)

Great offer in fairness. Have 2 reserved (one for a friend) and got a clay glove to try too using the 3 for 2 although I only clayed the car and used SRP and EGP on it yesterday so i'll have to wait a while

nd wrote: »
    lol eight sets. I imagine it'll take you years to use all them :)

I was deciding between 1 and 3, thinking I might want to try some other wax by time I'd one set used, but at that price said I'd get the 3.

Well the way I'm looking at it is, I have it there now. I don't need to buy it again. It won't expire. If I don't use it all on this car, there'll always be the next car. And I'll end up doing my brother's and dad's cars, too, so it'll be used over time.

I know it's not very aggressive, so I'll still invariably pick up another polish along the way that's more aggressive (I still have Chemical Guys Pro 3N but I am lead to believe the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is a more aggressive polish, so I've kinda lost interest in the 3N, since finding that out).

It is a great deal though (a rarity in the detailing world?). So it'd be silly to not take advantage. Normally I'd hate someone like me (who buys a load of them), but I'm not trying to sell them on or such so I don't feel guilty. At least they're getting a loving home :D

None left in Dundalk now though. You must be after spotting a gap in the market up there with that much! :)

Great offer in fairness. Have 2 reserved (one for a friend) and got a clay glove to try too using the 3 for 2 although I only clayed the car and used SRP and EGP on it yesterday so i'll have to wait a while

I'd say the 3 for 2 offer will resurface again shortly, when the weather gets a bit better and they want to shift some more stuff. I think 3 for 2 is a regular Halfords deal? Let's all just hope that next time they do it they have another 'lead' product like this set, at a great discount. :)

I'd say the 3 for 2 offer will resurface again shortly, when the weather gets a bit better and they want to shift some more stuff. I think 3 for 2 is a regular Halfords deal? Let's all just hope that next time they do it they have another 'lead' product like this set, at a great discount. :)
    I'm sure there'll be a lot of cars looking well due to the offer which is only a good thing. It'll hopefully introduce a lot of people into looking after their cars better.

In my defence, I waited 'til the very last minute, to make sure I wasn't pulling the rug from under anyone else: But I just ordered the last 12 sets that were in Cavan (and also some AutoGlym Tyre shine and some Wonder Wheel's Alloy Wheel Cleaner).

I ordered them at midnight so hopefully someone else didn't lose out on the deal cos of me. That said, Cavan's stock didn't seem to drop at all? Cavan people mustn't care less about their cars :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Just a heads up for anybody looking for a new/backup hose - the 20m hose is back in Lidl this Thursday (27th March) for €9.99.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-93B6680D-F154DB31/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=4151

79157wk1314_01_f.jpg

Also, for anyone looking at a water butt set up and whose pressure washer doesn't suck from a barrel, Lidl are doing an electric water pump for €59.99.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-5641A4A1-237C6BC6/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=4139

In my defence, I waited 'til the very last minute, to make sure I wasn't pulling the rug from under anyone else: But I just ordered the last 12 sets that were in Cavan (and also some AutoGlym Tyre shine and some Wonder Wheel's Alloy Wheel Cleaner).

I ordered them at midnight so hopefully someone else didn't lose out on the deal cos of me. That said, Cavan's stock didn't seem to drop at all? Cavan people mustn't care less about their cars :P
    They're still up on the site at the same price. It's a good deal but is 18 not complete overkill for you? It's 6 litres of the each you'll have now! :eek: I've used my SRP and EGP 4 times in the past year and have about half the EGP and over half the SRP left.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

They're still up on the site at the same price. It's a good deal but is 18 not complete overkill for you? It's 6 litres of the each you'll have now! :eek: I've used my SRP and EGP 4 times in the past year and have about half the EGP and over half the SRP left.

36 years of stock. :P

But seriously, 18 is mental. They sell 5 litre containers of the stuff that would work out a fair bit cheaper.

Paddy_R wrote: »
    seriously, 18 is mental. They sell 5 litre containers of the stuff that would work out a fair bit cheaper.

I'll actually have 20 :P

Which is 6 and 2/3 litres of each product (shampoo, polish, wax).

I didn't realise you could actually buy them as 5ltr containers, but a 5ltr of the polish alone is about €50 on amazon, so I don't think there's an enormous price difference (though that said, I would have actually preferred one 5ltr container, rather than 20 small bottles hanging around.

Still though, for what I spent, I'm a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Picked up my sets of Autoglym,they are actually priced at €32 on the shelves,great deal.I was also in Tesco & had to walk away from the Simoniz stuff @ 50% off as I've a load of stuff as it is.

BTW,for anyone looking for cheap storage for their detailing bottles etc. Head to Homestore & More as they have 3 drawer boxes & other ones with lots of compartments for around a fiver & some for less.

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/organisation/icat/lauorgani

I'll actually have 20 :P

Which is 6 and 2/3 litres of each product (shampoo, polish, wax).

I didn't realise you could actually buy them as 5ltr containers, but a 5ltr of the polish alone is about €50 on amazon, so I don't think there's an enormous price difference (though that said, I would have actually preferred one 5ltr container, rather than 20 small bottles hanging around.

Still though, for what I spent, I'm a happy camper.

You spent circa €170?
    I reckon you could get it in 5 litre drums for at least €50 less.

But hey. You're just bought your lifetimes worth of shampoo, polish and wax. At least that's out of the way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

How many times do you plan to post that :confused:

IMO you would have been better off just getting some srp and egp, the shampoo is pretty useless tbh.

How many times did it post? Sorry. Must be a phone issue (so apologies if this post also posts multiple times)!

EDIT: Deleted the copies of the same post.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

You can always decide to sell them on adverts if you end up not wanting half of them so i wouldnt worry KKV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

BillJ wrote: »
    You can always decide to sell them on adverts if you end up not wanting half of them so i wouldnt worry KKV

Thats what will end up happening - there's only so much SRP one person can use!
    The EGP, even if you were to use it after every wash, you need to apply so little of it that it will take an age to use.
    The shampoo, while its not the best, at least you can lash a load of it in, knowing you've lots more!

A bit OTT in my opinion, sure better to be looking at it, than for it!! :D

• Advertisement

Be sure to only use light layers of the EGP also. Went a bit heavy with it at the weekend and was a nightmare to buff out!!

Curran wrote: »
    Thats what will end up happening - there's only so much SRP one person can use!
    The EGP, even if you were to use it after every wash, you need to apply so little of it that it will take an age to use.
    The shampoo, while its not the best, at least you can lash a load of it in, knowing you've lots more!

A bit OTT in my opinion, sure better to be looking at it, than for it!! :D

That and there will always be new products and technologies. Who knows what will be on the shelves in 2, 5 or even 10 years time.

Does anyone really want to be using the same product for 40/50 years?

As mentioned it will be easy to shift it though. It's a nice kit.

It is a nice kit, to be fair, and worse case scenario, it'll be a handy present for christmas/birthdays if i do get sick of it (wouldn't bother me hole selling it though. I'd feel guilty selling it for anything more than I paid, and it wouldn't be worth the hassle of listening to Adverts people offering me half a dairy milk and an old £1 coin to try and make a tenner in the long run).

When I went to cavan to collect the 12 sets, they only had 11 for me (though they didn't actually say that to me, I just copped it when I counted them putting them in the back of the car). They said that they only had eleven and apologised (I'd say a staff member pocketed one, but I don't really care. They could help themselves if they wanted - I wouldn't have passed any remarks).

So they let me grab something off the shelf to make up for the missing AG pack (to complete a 3 for 2). I picked up a Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer (great product) that was priced at €10.49. But I still owed them €2.49 (even though it should have been the cheapest item, as the AG packs were €12 each).

Turns out the AG packs were on my receipt at €8 each. So I just thought I'd post it incase any of ye guys are in a store tomorrow or such. Apparently the sets are still marked at €32 on the shelves, but they probably (I can't say definitely, cos I don't know for sure) scan at €8 now.

I was gonna say it to them and show them the reservation on my phone (which prices them at €12 each), but I'd also used the 10% off voucher on my spend, and it was €2.49, so i didn't really care that much. I saved €13 off my original spend, which was already heavily discounted, so it paid towards my petrol for the journey out. All in all, well worth it, and now i know that the 10% off code can be used fairly easily in-store (which is handy).

This is my overall Halfords purchase from this weekend:

15113FDC0B294F86A11804138FCE1A90-0000333410-0003527053-01000L-3521E5726F34462B850B333B0C90BAFC.jpg

AutoGlym Perfect Bodywork x19
    Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer
    Meguiar's ('Replacement') Clay Bar
    Meguair's Quik Interior Detailer x2
    Wonder Wheel's Alloy Wheel Cleaner
    AutoGlym Leather Care Balm
    AutoGlym Leather Cleaner
    AutoGlym Tyre Dressing x2

Total spend: €228.23

(EDIT: In these calculations I included the costs of two extra AG sets, that I didn't actually include in the numbers as they were for friends (who each paid €12 for their set, so my actual total spend was €204.23)

Just reading that 'total spend' sobered me a bit... Didn't realise I'd spent so much (didn't realise I even had that much to spend!).

Need to collect my Wheel Woolies off Curran whenever he gets them in, and also pick up another Grit Guard off him, and that'll be my spending curbed for a short while, I think. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Alas, only got to pick up two of the kits myself - left it till Monday and they were out of stock in Limerick, and only 2 in stock in Castlebar where they were collected for me!

Still great value - I'd say I've only a bit over half a bottle of EGP left after 3 applications on the Laguna, so I'll probably get through another bottle this year. The polish maybe a bit longer alright - so I'll probably give one of those away.

I find the shampoo good, but one of my two buckets is bigger than the other, 15 or 20 litres rather than 10, and that's the one I add the shampoo to, just to have plenty for a good thorough coating of suds. So I'll definitely go through the bottles of shampoo despite already having picked up a 2.5 l bottle on the 3 for 2.

KKV - I'd say you'll have to start picking up cheap bangernomics, claying, polishing and EGP them and sell them on for a bit more due to the sparkle, to get through all that! Full time job to use up that much product :)

Zoney wrote: »
    Alas, only got to pick up two of the kits myself - left it till Monday and they were out of stock in Limerick, and only 2 in stock in Castlebar where they were collected for me!

Still great value - I'd say I've only a bit over half a bottle of EGP left after 3 applications on the Laguna, so I'll probably get through another bottle this year. The polish maybe a bit longer alright - so I'll probably give one of those away.

I find the shampoo good, but one of my two buckets is bigger than the other, 15 or 20 litres rather than 10, and that's the one I add the shampoo to, just to have plenty for a good thorough coating of suds. So I'll definitely go through the bottles of shampoo despite already having picked up a 2.5 l bottle on the 3 for 2.

KKV - I'd say you'll have to start picking up cheap bangernomics, claying, polishing and EGP them and sell them on for a bit more due to the sparkle, to get through all that! Full time job to use up that much product :)

Ah, I'd say the shampoo will go quick enough, but I plan to use a fair bit of all products. I'll use them every second or third time I was the car (usually once a fortnight, or once a week).

I still have to do a full machine polish of the car with a more aggressive polish (Meguiar's Ultimate Cut Compound) and then I'll use the AG stuff for the smaller, more frequent washes, to try and keep a nice shine on the car.

My car is destroyed in swirls and other such marks all over it, so it's in dire need of a proper polishing. It's just getting the time to do it all properly.

Friend bought a new car (well, new to her, an 09), and I told her I'd take a look at it and give it a once-over, so I'll have to get that out of the way, then I'll get stuck into my own one mid next week.

Although I spent a few Euro, I now have pretty much everything I need. Snow Foam, Shampoos, polishes, waxes, pads for the DA, Glass cleaner, tyre shine, wheel cleaner, de-tarrer, iron cleanse, clay bars, interior cleaner, leather cleaner, odour (Stripper Scent.. it's actually quite nice!), upholstery cleaner and all relevant brushes, wash mitts, applicator pads, Microfibre cloths etc. (I also have a handful of other shite I can't even think of off the top of my head!)

So I really have no reason to go out and buy anything else for quite some time (that won't stop me from doing so, of course, but logically, there's no reason I should want for anything).

Again I'd say though, although it's not a 'budget' product, it does last for ages, and it's absolutely excellent: I thoroughly recommend Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner for the inside of the car. I don't know what it is about it, exactly, but I just love it. Not too glossy, not too matte. It's great and you use feck all of it (of course, other people may think it's a waste of time, but to each their own). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I reserved one of this kits early yesterday. Was driving to collect it when I got a phonecall to say they were in fact out of stock and a computer glitch was the reason I was still able to reserve one even tho they had none. :mad:

He said he will try and get me one next week and honour the price but he couldnt be sure.

Where are you based, SeaFields? If you're anywhere near me I'll happily off load one of mine to you for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

SeaFields wrote: »
    I reserved one of this kits early yesterday. Was driving to collect it when I got a phonecall to say they were in fact out of stock and KKV was the reason I was still able to reserve one even tho they had none. :mad:

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

47750944.jpg

• Advertisement

Nothing showing up there, Randy (for me, anyway?).

Advertisement