Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trivium

• 31-07-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭

They released a new track today, free to download here http://02.trivium.fm/

Not too bad. Not alot of screaming on the track but it's still pretty good. Sounds like a mix of In Waves and The Crusade.

Looking forward to the new album, Vengeance Falls, out in October I think.

Thoughts on the band/new track/whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

There's something quite Hetfield-esque about Heafy's vocals on the beginning of this track.

Not the catchiest tune in the world but it's not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

It's not a standout song, I didn't like 'In Waves' from the last album but all the other material was great. I've seen them live twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Loving this new track, drums sound deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

It's not a standout song, I didn't like 'In Waves' from the last album but all the other material was great. I've seen them live twice now.

Same. I heard the song In Waves and thought "nah I don't really wanna get this album" then some point later I listened to the rest of it and thought it was great. Don't judge a book etc.. and all that. :)
    There's something quite Hetfield-esque about Heafy's vocals on the beginning of this track.

He had a Het-esque feel to his vocals on The Crusade too. I'm not very fond of it. It's almost like he's trying to replicate Hetfield's vocal style.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Track listing for Vengeance Falls has been released

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/44822/

Vengeance Falls Track Listing

01. Brave This Storm
    02. Vengeance Falls
    03. Strife
    04. No Way To Heal
    05. To Believe
    06. At The End Of This War
    07. Through Blood And Dirt And Bone
    08. Villainy Thrives
    09. Incineration: The Broken World
    10. Wake (The End Is Nigh)

• Advertisement

Another new song, didn't really like it, maybe i'm just not as big of a Trivium fan as i used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Agh, no! Why is he doing that James Hetfield singing again? The Crusade was the single most disappointing record I ever purchased... And I was sure they'd gotten their mojo back with In Waves. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Agh, no! Why is he doing that James Hetfield singing again? The Crusade was the single most disappointing record I ever purchased... And I was sure they'd gotten their mojo back with In Waves. :(

Because Matt Heafy just wants to be James Hetfield..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I don't like that new song and the live one there sounds even worse, proper lazy. I didn't really like In Waves that much, had some good songs but a lot of filler. Will still give this new one a listen though and I hope they finally make it back over here when they tour it. I thought Shogun was great like, I think they still have it. Maybe it just takes them years to write a good album and they have to put out a crusade or two to tide the label over until they've finished it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Loved Shogun and In Waves, New song is okay is all as far as production goes hopefully Dave Draiman isnt goin for a hatrick of shoddy releases acciociated with him, Device is average at best, Megadeths "Super Collider" is their worst album,Trivium up next ??

• Advertisement

That live song sounds ****e. They aren't very great live are they. Seen them in 2006 and thought the support act God Forbid were far better. Never really seen a good live recording of them either.

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    That live song sounds ****e. They aren't very great live are they. Seen them in 2006 and thought the support act God Forbid were far better. Never really seen a good live recording of them either.

They are the best band i've seen live but i've only seen them in 2011 and 2012, back in 2006 Matt sounded terrible live judging by the rock am ring recording.

Didn't Heafy mess up the nodules on his vocal chords around then? I do remember something like that happening..also the lead singer of BFMV had the same thing happening to if I am correct in thinking..

They are the best band i've seen live but i've only seen them in 2011 and 2012, back in 2006 Matt sounded terrible live judging by the rock am ring recording.

That's actually awful.
    Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Didn't Heafy mess up the nodules on his vocal chords around then? I do remember something like that happening..also the lead singer of BFMV had the same thing happening to if I am correct in thinking..

Yeah yer man from Bullet had vocal problems. I didn't know it happened to Heafy though. I knew after Ascendancy he said they didn't want to scream because frankly they didn't want to or didn't like bands that did. I really wish he would do more screaming. IMO he's one of metal's best screamers.

That's actually awful.

Yeah yer man from Bullet had vocal problems. I didn't know it happened to Heafy though. I knew after Ascendancy he said they didn't want to scream because frankly they didn't want to or didn't like bands that did. I really wish he would do more screaming. IMO he's one of metal's best screamers.

I could be wrong but I do remember reading some interview somewhere with him saying something to the lines of how he was messing himself up over the vocal nodule thing. I must go try find it now because it's kinda annoying me if he did or didn't say it!
    I do agree with you that he is one of metals better screamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

They were class last time I saw them opening for Maiden in London in 2011, videos of them from Download 2012 looked good as well. They were rubbish the whole time he was Hetfielding on the crusade tour basically. It's difficult to tell from that live recording if they've actually gone back to being to crap, because that's simply just such an awful song there's no way they could make it sound good on any form.

Their performance at Wacken yesterday

Their performance at Wacken yesterday

Am I the only one that thinks that sounded sh!te? Maybe it was just the videos mix, probably sounded better at the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Mother of God, that Rock Am Ring video is unwatchable it's so bad. I saw them live at Metaltown last year and I can honestly say it was one of the best performances I've ever seen. Heafy was seriously on point vocally.

I didn't really go in for Shogun - it's too grandiose, and vocals just aren't there - and the Crusade, it goes without saying, was a steaming turd. That being said, Ascendancy remains one of my favourite albums and In Waves really did live up to its legacy. The singing was powerful and tasteful, the songs seriously stood up (Skyline's Severance is the only filler track IMHO) and most importantly Matt's screams sounded totally badass.

To think that they're going back to the Crusade days of sh1tty Hetfield-esque singing and lame power metal flights of fancy is pretty much crushing. They have the potential to be the best non-Scandinavian metal band in the world.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/trivium-release-new-track-no-way-to-heal/

They released a new track today, I think I may have to stick with the previous albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

17th of June in The Academy. Always a great band live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Have my tickets. Love the new album. Cannot wait for it!

Dargull wrote: »
    17th of June in The Academy. Always a great band live.

There's nothing on Trivium's website about an Irish date, so how do you know they're playing the Academy in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    There's nothing on Trivium's website about an Irish date, so how do you know they're playing the Academy in June?

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004C2997791092?page=tmie&tmid=18004C2997791092

Dargull wrote: »

Cheers for that, ticket's a steal @ €28.00, may just buy myself a ticket to go see Trivium

Wonder who support will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I went to see them a few years ago at the Ambassador, come to think of it was nearer a decade ago now....anyway the last time I went to one of their concerts they were headlining above Bleeding Through, Ghost and In Flames - I left after In Flames and didn't even wait to see them come out on stage

I'm going to another one of their gigs in a few weeks, Killswitch Engage and Battlecross are supporting along with Miss May I....to be honest if Trivium are last I'd be tempted to walk out again

In that whole Trivium vs. Bullet for my Valentine thing that was going on a few years ago I was always more behind BFMV anyway...I felt they were the better band with a better sound. But both of them ripped off Metallica just as much as Evile did. So I guess if you like that kind of thing there's plenty of bands to look up too. BFMV have seemed to move their sound on with the last album - did the whole 'Load' era thing by cutting their hair as well...I dunno, maybe Trivium have done the same, but I've never kept up with them.

Buying a ticket for Trivium on Friday :D

I went to see them a few years ago at the Ambassador, come to think of it was nearer a decade ago now....anyway the last time I went to one of their concerts they were headlining above Bleeding Through, Ghost and In Flames - I left after In Flames and didn't even wait to see them come out on stage

I'm going to another one of their gigs in a few weeks, Killswitch Engage and Battlecross are supporting along with Miss May I....to be honest if Trivium are last I'd be tempted to walk out again

In that whole Trivium vs. Bullet for my Valentine thing that was going on a few years ago I was always more behind BFMV anyway...I felt they were the better band with a better sound. But both of them ripped off Metallica just as much as Evile did. So I guess if you like that kind of thing there's plenty of bands to look up too. BFMV have seemed to move their sound on with the last album - did the whole 'Load' era thing by cutting their hair as well...I dunno, maybe Trivium have done the same, but I've never kept up with them.

As far as I'm concerned Trivium are a terrible live band. I went to see them at the Ambassador in 05 or 06. Mendeed and God Forbid were supporting and GF blew the roof off. Mendeed were unreal too. When Trivium came on they sounded like a cover band. Gonna go to this summer's gig and see if anything's changed.

As for the BFMV/Trivium thing, I didn't know that was a thing. Naturally comparisons would be made. Bullet are, IMO, like Trivium light. They both took Metallica influences on different ways, quite obviously I.might add. Heafy with vocals (especially on The Crusade) and Bullet with guitar style and melody driven thrash riffs... if that makes sense. They've both done the Load cutting hair thing in the last few years, but then again, its only hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

They've both done the Load cutting hair thing in the last few years, but then again, its only hair.

That's very true, although the reactions I've seen about it in the press has been hilarious. A band can't even cut their hair without being compared to Metallica lol

I got the stage times for the KSE/Trivium tour. Killswitch are playing with Battlecross in Dublin and Belfast but (for some reason, probably financially) when the tour gets to the UK it's Trivium - and their support Miss May I - who are joining the bill. So you've got four bands. Now that sounds great but since it's a co-headlining jaunt that means both Trivium and KSE only get one hour apiece

I think this will mean (especially since Trivium are on at my gig before KSE) I'll be staying for the whole thing...but at least if they're bad I'll only have to endure 60 minutes at the most

I was at that gig actually back in the Ambassador with God Forbid. I also saw them at a few other Ambassador gigs - they played here at one point six times within 12 months - if you included their support slots like opening for Iron Maiden and that.

Makes me laugh when I think about it now.

Advertisement