Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sues SkyDrive: Wins!

Options
  • 31-07-2013 6:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong area for this.
    Microsoft's cloud service SkyDrive will now have to change it's name as BSkyB aka Sky have sued them for infringing on their name.
    This change will be worldwide.
    Sky says that users within the UK and R.O.I might get confused by the name SkyDrive and think it has to do with a Sky service.....:confused:
    Honestly people would sue over anything, I do agree though that it may cause confusion due to the sheer size of Sky over here.
    So goodbye SkyDrive hello....new name?
    Source #1 Linky
    Source #2 Linky
    Source #3 Linky
    A quick Google search will bring up many many more sources!
    Edit: Maybe this thread would be better suited in the Broadband forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

In fairness, when explaining the likes of cloud services and mentioning SkyDrive to the average person they usually said back "I didn't know Sky did it." or "Yea, I heard about SkyDrive from Sky."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Duggy747 wrote: »
    In fairness, when explaining the likes of cloud services and mentioning SkyDrive to the average person they usually said back "I didn't know Sky did it." or "Yea, I heard about SkyDrive from Sky."

That's odd, any time I've mentioned Skydrive to anyone they just stare at me with a blank expression on their face, until I explain that it's a Microsoft alternative to Dropbox.

First Metro, now this. I don't know whether to be pleased or horrified that BSkyB of all companies got this legal victory out of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Duggy747 wrote: »

Yeah, I agree Sky is so well known over here that it is bound to confuse some people. I read that the change will be worldwide. As opposed to being UK/R.O.I or Europe only

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I read that the change will be worldwide. As opposed to being UK/R.O.I or Europe only
    Maintaining two brands instead of one is just a lot of unnecessary work. Google had to do it with Gmail/GoogleMail, but eventually managed to combine the two

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

ah all they need to do is rename it to SoftDrive or MicroCloud , Or CloudSoft

remember you heard it here first.

to be honest they probably should have looked further into it before proceeding with the name. Surely before the product launch someone was suppose to check that given that Microsoft once threatened to sue a high school student named Mike Rowe for creating MikeRoweSoft .com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

They should call it MiDrive, a cross between "my drive" and "Microsoft drive".

No need to thank me Microsoft, the royalties will be thanks enough :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MSDrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Or they could be honest and name it NSAcloud.

You can be sure, the the NSA will have a "backup" of your data. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've been using SkyDrive for like 5 years and I never turned around and thought 'Wait..Sky could sue them for this.." because I didn't associate it with BSkyB in any way.

They'll probably call it Cloud Drive or something now.

Torqay wrote: »
    You can be sure, the the NSA will have a "backup" of your data. ;)

You got a phone number for them? :pac: I actually need a few things I deleted back..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Yeah but Jesus lives up there, do you think he would sue ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Big Lar wrote: »
    Yeah but Jesus lives up there, do you think he would sue ?

You may be on to something there..

Shur aren't the clouds soft too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I've been using SkyDrive for like 5 years and I never turned around and thought 'Wait..Sky could sue them for this.." because I didn't associate it with BSkyB in any way.

You got a phone number for them? :pac: I actually need a few things I deleted back..

In fairness, I know people who either have no idea what SkyDrive is or when I tell them they ask....when did Sky launch that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Of course. ;)

Advertisement