Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

meeeeh wrote: »
    Trump could win again because democrats can't decide if they should have a candidate middle America will stomach or candidate that ticks most of the quotas but is too extreme for those in the middle.

Looks like who ever gets it will be savaged to a degree that is beyond the normal bear pit fight if nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Trump could win again because democrats can't decide if they should have a candidate middle America will stomach
    Hillary Clinton was supposed to be a candidate middle America could stomach.

Didn't quite work out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Trump could win again because democrats can't decide if they should have a candidate middle America will stomach or candidate that ticks most of the quotas but is too extreme for those in the middle.

It's not just that they can't decide; it's not clear which type of candidate would actually be a better bet. Conventional wisdom would say the former but HRC was the quintessential 'safe' centrist choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not just that they can't decide; it's not clear which type of candidate would actually be a better bet. Conventional wisdom would say the former but HRC was the quintessential 'safe' centrist choice...

I think she was bad candidate anyway and had way too much baggage. Basically she tried to get to the top for far too long and too much stuff was known about her. She might have been safe choice but she was not likable one.

I don't think that more left wing candidate would necessarily be a bad choice but it has to be one that can appeal to the middle. Elizabeth Warren with her Indian roots for example isn't one of them while Bernie Sanders type candidate might be (that's my opinion and I have no hard data to support that).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think she was bad candidate anyway and had way too much baggage. Basically she tried to get to the top for far too long and too much stuff was known about her. She might have been safe choice but she was not likable one.

Agreed. A 'fresher' and more charismatic Democrat candidate who occupies a similar place to HRC on the political spectrum might well have beaten the Donald in 2016 or could do it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

That Seth bloke is like a petulant teenager, cant stand listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well, that clip from Darren Randolph on the sports news was worthwhile.

It'll be a tough game, will it Darren?

Pat not especially on side with this "snowflakey hazing" reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Pat not especially on side with this "snowflakey hazing" reporter.

I have to agree with Pat on this one. Eleanor seems to be one a one-woman mission to stop the lads indulging in their silly games. She sounds like a latter-day Mary Whitehouse. She also thinks it's OK to put a concealed recording device in someone's private apartment. She's an obnoxious creature.
    I'd be willing to bet a considerable sum that she wouldn't be investigating if it was a bunch of girls indulging in similar silly games.
    Imagine the absolute outrage if some male student did the same thing with female students.

The sort of sports aresholes who go in for "hazing" deserve each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Roger_007 wrote:
    I have to agree with Pat on this one. Eleanor seems to be one a one-woman mission to stop the lads indulging in their silly games. She sounds like a latter-day Mary Whitehouse. She also thinks it's OK to put a concealed recording device in someone's private apartment. She's an obnoxious creature. I'd be willing to bet a considerable sum that she wouldn't be investigating if it was a bunch of girls indulging in similar silly games. Imagine the absolute outrage if some male student did the same thing with female students.

Pat would take a very different view if this was lads from Finglas doing that type of thing.

Pat standing up for middle class elite men. Shocker.

And I don't think the woman talking about the subject made it a gender issue, but obviously you see it as one.

The sort of sports aresholes who go in for "hazing" deserve each other.
    I'm in two minds about it. I have some friends who went through this kind of hazing when joining one particular sports club in TCD, and perhaps some people will know which club I'm talking about when I say it involved doing laps of College Park in the nude, and crawling underneath a row of tables whilst getting the sh*t kicked out of you.

When I heard about this first I thought it was quite funny - certainly, none of the lads who did it were bothered by it - but it would make you wonder what kind of sinister character(s) came up with such ideas.

It's certainly worth bearing in mind that none of the participants themselves have complained about how they were treated. There's no question, it seems, of any criminal liability in terms of assault. But should a public institution be funding such clubs and their bizarre antics? I would say No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

What caught my eye about the newspaper arguments wasnt the hazing of those fuggin eejits, they seem to have volunteered for it.

One of these journalists seems to have installed a listening device or recording device somewhere outside their apartment.

This seems dodgy to me anyway. Is it legal?

What caught my eye about the newspaper arguments wasnt the hazing of those fuggin eejits, they seem to have volunteered for it.

One of these journalists seems to have installed a listening device or recording device somewhere outside their apartment.

This seems dodgy to me anyway. Is it legal?
    The recording itself is almost certainly legal, I think questions only arise when you attempt to share the content of recorded media.

If you make certain utterances within public earshot, I don't see how it should be illegal to report accurately on such statements, regardless of how ridiculous they may be.

I have no idea how the latter works, but if it was recorded in a public place and nobody has been incorrectly identified, it ought to be perfectly legal. Whether it is or not, maybe others can say.

Pat would take a very different view if this was lads from Finglas doing that type of thing.

Pat standing up for middle class elite men. Shocker.

And I don't think the woman talking about the subject made it a gender issue, but obviously you see it as one.

It would very quickly become a gender issue if it was a woman's privacy that was invaded.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It would very quickly become a gender issue if it was a woman's privacy that was invaded.
    It wasn't, though.

And although we should be reluctant to enter a debating chamber of hypotheses, you can be sure that if these individuals were women, people would be arguing that 'they got off lightly'. You cant win. Some people will always be convinced that man is The Ultimate Victim.

The male snowflake: always melting, and always with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

That Seth bloke is like a petulant teenager, cant stand listening to him.

Pat had to take his medicine , Seth was well able for him and threw him a backhanded compliment at the end to add insult to injury

It wasn't, though.

And although we should be reluctant to enter a debating chamber of hypotheses, you can be sure that if these individuals were women, people would be arguing that 'they got off lightly'. You cant win. Some people will always be convinced that man is The Ultimate Victim.

The male snowflake: always melting, and always with us.

Yes, of course, I'd forgotten that it's only men who behave badly. I should have checked myself there.

Who's this comedian doing a p*ss take of a politician from Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Who's this comedian doing a p*ss take of a politician from Kerry?
    I didn't hear the item but was it Danny Healy-Rae doing an impression of being a politican form Kerry?

• Advertisement

Blindboy for Taoiseach!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Blindboy for Taoiseach!

Eh..... No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Is this just the Brexit channel now?

What's this is Pat not on this morning?

Ignore, was some kind of report

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

never_mind wrote: »
    Is this just the Brexit channel now?

Nobody does it better than Pat. His coverage of Brexit has been top notch the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

What's this is Pat not on this morning?

Ignore, was some kind of report

Some other guy on this morning. Turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

No offense to Bobby Kerr but you would miss Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

5555555555 wrote: »

Yeah, Bobby's voice and manner takes a bit of getting used to. I've grown to enjoy his weekend shows because the content is usually interesting but I wouldn't be a fan of Bobby doing current affairs regularly.

5555555555 wrote: »

It could be worse............Jonathan Healy.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It could be worse............Jonathan Healy.:eek:

If I had to nominate a stand in for the week and the options were Jonathan and Bobby, I would definitely be picking Jonathan.

Advertisement