Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are water levels on the Shannon low this summer? Affect on cruising?

Options
  • 29-07-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm thinking about renting a cruiser, departing in 2.5 weeks. I understand Ireland has had a particularly dry summer. Has this impacted water levels in the area of Lough Derg and Lough Ree and the connecting waterway? I'd hate to rent and then find levels are at a record low and I have all kinds of problems. This would be my first time cruising and I don't need any special challenges:)

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question -- I don't know how much the water levels in this area are controlled by man-made devices and how much is just rainfall. I've looked online and not found a clear answer. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Lough Derg seems pretty close to normal. It is controlled by a dam though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

No major problems at the moment unless your planing on going on the canals and no such thing as a stupid question before you head out on the water :D If there are any problems on the waterways they will be posted here http://www.waterwaysireland.org/Pages/Marine-Notices-Landing.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dockbuilder

Thank you both for the reply. Sounds like I don't need to worry. I'll keep an eye on the Waterways Ireland site and hope Ireland gets a good dousing of rain, only at night, over the next couple weeks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thank you both for the reply. Sounds like I don't need to worry. I'll keep an eye on the Waterways Ireland site and hope Ireland gets a good dousing of rain, only at night, over the next couple weeks.

Plenty of floods around Ireland at the moment :eek:

Advertisement