Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is cyril farrells occupation.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

theres prolby no gaa intercounty players that work part time or in places like Supermarkets/Cinemas/call centres etc because the hours may effect traning and matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

paul galvin used to be a teacher till he hit d catwalk or some cheeky kid with d duster.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Michael Meehan is a teacher too!

Thought Meehan had some sort of financial job a few years back. Maybe he got out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Thought Meehan had some sort of financial job a few years back. Maybe he got out of it?

Used to be an accountant. Now a teacher at St. Jarlaths, as is Sean Armstrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

its no surprise that a lot of gaa players are teachers/school principals as well, take former players who were principals as well such as ger loughnane. a lot of them have their own business , anthony daly has a sports shop in ennis, dj was a publican at one stage then had his own cleaning business. those players who are teachers have the time to commit when the championship is on , that is a big advantage for them in that they can be like professional athletes in terms of devoting alot of time to training, fitness and rest periods as well after games

So d'you think do a lot of fellas just fall into teaching then?

Its hard enough for a 17 or 18 year-old lad about to leave school to have a definite career goal. Could be that a lot of "Undecideds" who are promising hurlers/footballers end up doing teaching not because they love it or always wanted to teach but because its a solid career and is handy for the free time in the Summer for GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

freddiek wrote: »
    Could be that a lot of "Undecideds" who are promising hurlers/footballers end up doing teaching not because they love it or always wanted to teach but because its a solid career and is handy for the free time in the Summer for GAA.

In fairness I know very few people who ended up doing their job because they truly love it. They wouldn't be any different to most people in most careers in that way (and most teachers I've met, for that matter, whether they are interested in the GAA or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

freddiek wrote: »
    So d'you think do a lot of fellas just fall into teaching then?

Its hard enough for a 17 or 18 year-old lad about to leave school to have a definite career goal. Could be that a lot of "Undecideds" who are promising hurlers/footballers end up doing teaching not because they love it or always wanted to teach but because its a solid career and is handy for the free time in the Summer for GAA.

well yeah, shur it could be either or because it does allow the time for the championship season, thats a big advantage. i know lads i went to school who are now teachers and good gaa players as they love both :) i mean alot of lads probably have had to retire early due to work pressures and if getting time off is now being difficult

Advertisement