Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-opening of the Nocturnal Library

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

What's people's "page per minute rate" when reading books?

I know it depends on the size of the page/text - for me, it's looking like 40 pages per hour but the books I tend to read are usually small print - any other suggestions/contributions? :)

anything from 60-100 pages depending on font and what type of book it is. Used to be about 30 pages but found a book on speedreading because I have too many books to read and limited time to get through them :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone here read codex alera by Jim butcher?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Anyone here read codex alera by Jim butcher?

No, but I do love his Dresden Files series and eagerly await his new steampunk series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Yep, it is a good series and develops very well in line with the characters growing up/developing, not to dissimilar to the Dresden files in that respect.
    Butcher does that very well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So I finished wise man's fear,great book.....bit of a twist at the end :eek: looking for a new book now.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

^^Michael Marshall Smith - Spares. Simply awesome.

^^Michael Marshall Smith - Spares. Simply awesome.

Seems interesting SC," people are cloned for spare parts" Reminds me of a film called the island I think it was?

Anyway I went with this instead

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead:_The_Fall_of_the_Governor

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I suggest anything by Tim Dorsey

Seems interesting SC," people are cloned for spare parts" Reminds me of a film called the island I think it was?

Anyway I went with this instead

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead:_The_Fall_of_the_Governor

:D

Odd that you might say that. Dreamworks bought the rights to Spares, in development hell for years, deal expired, Dreamworks make The Island. Coincidence? I think not :pac:

The Island is a good movie, but they just stole the one idea from Spares, there's a million other things going on in the novel.

Well I finished the above book last night,i can see why people were pissed about it,its nowhere near as good as rise of the governor/the road to woodbury,part 2 is out in march ,don't think I've ever finished a book in two days before :D lol hmmmmm what to read next now :pac:

• Advertisement

Spares ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Last week I read silver linings playbook, was 99p in the Amazon valentines sale and probably the only book in the sale that didn't make me want to vomit when I read the description :pac:

I loved it! It's about pat, who just got released from a long stint in a mental hospital and is now trying to find his way in the real world again. It's funny and sad and real. No way a typical romance novel at all, even though it was in that stupid sale.

Finished reading the first book in the mistborn series,good book,cool magic system but kinda boring in parts,reading book 4 now of the fall of the Governor now,hopefully it won't be as bad as part 1 .

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

SueBoom wrote: »
    I'm reading a million books at the minute. I think I'm going to get 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami finished though. I want to read plenty more of his books too.
    Long but worth it, cringey sex scenes(could just be me) an odd insight(?) into Japanese culture, bizarre as ever Murakami

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Vengeful%20Spirit%20A5%20thumb.jpg

Just got this, plan on getting stuck into it once I finish off the Salamanders omnibus by Nick Kyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Library had a book sale- lots of old library discontinued books and some donated just for the sale. have read two of the "cat who..." series in the past three days and a mystery from Patterson about a serial killer in the past three days. Bought a few syfi anthologies too. If I don't stop buying books I'll have to learn carpentry so I can make bookcases to shelve them all.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

7935214.jpg
    Steven de Selby has a hangover. Bright lights, loud noise, and lots of exercise are the last thing he wants. But that's exactly what he gets when someone starts shooting at him.
    Steven is no stranger to death - Mr. D's his boss after all - but when a dead girl saves him from sharing her fate, he finds himself on the wrong end of the barrel. His job is to guide the restless dead to the underworld but now his clients are his own colleagues, friends, and family.
    Mr. D's gone missing and with no one in charge, the dead start to rise, the living are hunted, and the whole city teeters on the brink of a regional apocalypse - unless Steven can shake his hangover, not fall for the dead girl, and find out what happened to his boss - that is, Death himself.
    THE BUSINESS OF DEATH includes the first two volumes of the Death Works trilogy, Death Most Definite and Managing Death, as well as the third volume.

About 100 pages in and is fun so far. Set in Australia which is a nice change from the usual setting of the US.

If you can read this, you're too close!

have several things going at once (downstairs book and upstairs book ) both old ones for one reason or another I never read The Client and started reading Norah Lofts " How Far to Bethlehem ?" all her books are out of print. Been rummaging through bookshelves lately. I like the smell of old books.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I have FINALLY finished the third installment of The Dark Tower..only took like five months!
    Bad news is i dont have no.4 with me!!!

I just finished reading the latest in the Dresden Files. "In my world, there is no try"

• Advertisement

I'm reading Stephen King under the dome. It's my first Stephen King book, which is odd cause I've seen most of the films and shows based on the books!

Really enjoying it, pretty different from the TV show but in a good way.

Like all Stephen King books it's set in Maine, but the characters have southern accents when I read their dialogue for some reason....

I must read that. My favorite King book is the talisman.

Desperation is mine, read it years ago, cant remember what happens, just know that i love it :pac:

I did a Stephen King movie season a few years back, watching all his films. Maybe I'll start a book season, might take years though :p

There are quite a few books!

He really does churn them out! Maybe he can hold a workshop, invite George RR Martin to attend :pac:

He really does churn them out! Maybe he can hold a workshop, invite George RR Martin to attend :pac:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh burn

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I assume we're all finished the latest Dresden Files Skin Game? I just started playing Watch_Dogs and it's based in Chicago so I'm curious to see if there's a certain island out on the lake for fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Reading Skin Game at the moment, I am enjoying it and think a full Dresden re-read is needed

Advertisement