Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you start racing?

Options
  • 26-07-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been riding (properly) for about 18 months or so now, and would rack up approx. 500km a month (more some months) and have relitively no problems with long distances - for example would regularly do 100 - 120km rides, usually at a pace of 26-28kmph (can push faster on shorter rides).

I'd take part in quite a few sportive events, but as the 'next step' to take me forwards, was looking at races, but I know nothing about them - what the average pace would be, average distances, whether I'd even be able to keep up etc.

I'm just wondering what made people 'take the plunge' and start racing? Would I be way out of my depth?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beating commuters just wasn't enough any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I crave suffering, abuse, dark moments of the soul and the derision of my peers. Racing ticks all those boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Unless planning on racing time trials, riding around on your own isn't comparable.

Find a local club with a racing league and get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

What kind of pace would they be at? Are there 'beginners' races so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Just started off with leisure cycling but I crave competition and once I get a few 100km + sportives out of the way, I'm also interested in racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Just do it, is my advice. I had a similar learning curve to yourself, did a few of the sportives, decent average speeds, found in general that I was strong on climbs, and a friend who's on the racing scene encouraged me to race. I had designs on the etape, but he persuaded me to race instead, that it's more fun etc. Best decision I ever made.

It's a good time to decide to race for next season, because you need a good winter's training in your legs to hit the ground running in feb/march next year. There's more to racing than riding at a decent pace, however; bike handling and bunch riding are crucial skills to obtain. Join a club and go out with their race training group and you'll develop these over the winter months. You can also chew the ear off experienced riders who in general will dispense all sorts of advice on what you need to work on etc.

Commit to it, and you'll never look back. It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭wav1

I was fed up being left on the sideline at football.Great slogan that for recruiting kids ''Theres no bench in cycling''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

wav1 wrote: »
    I was fed up being left on the sideline at football.Great slogan that for recruiting kids ''Theres no bench in cycling''

... but you can still get dropped

What kind of pace would they be at? Are there 'beginners' races so to speak?
    'Beginners' races are A4. They're generally hard enough and the average speed tends to be 36-39kph depending on the gradients. But as another poster said, riding in a bunch is a totally different experience to riding on your own, so it's not comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I ended up being talked into our clubs league....best decision ever as it seems to have given a better focus to my cycling....

Next year Ill go for the full licence and try some of the local weekend races....

The competitiveness is brilliant and really gets you out of bed onto your bike when before it would have been....sod it!

Does your local club run any league of sorts? Or maybe another club in your surrounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Join a club, do some club races and take it from there.

I'm just pottering around in Club League and A4 racing but I love it. It's really great fun, you'll see a huge improvement in your ability and you'll spend lots of time faffing about with safety pins.

I'm not a member of a club at the moment, but is that the only way to get in to it? How do you find out about local leagues etc? And what kind of distances would your 'normal' race be?

I'm not a member of a club at the moment, but is that the only way to get in to it? How do you find out about local leagues etc? And what kind of distances would your 'normal' race be?

A4 racing is 40-80k. Definitely, definitely join a club. I cannot stress it enough. Winter training is too awful to endure on your own and you'll need the experience of riding in a bunch.

Where are you based? Chances are someone on here is in a club near you and can help you in the right direction? Club membership is needed if I am thinking correct in order to get your racing licence?

I'm in Dunshaughlin (Meath!)

DID Dunboyne CC and Navan Road club spring immediately to mind; both have prominent racing teams.

Cheers. I get the impression DID Dunbyone would be a bit above me - they seem to be VERY serious every time I see them around. Might get in touch with Navan though

Im in Navan Road Club!!! Joined late last year and first season at it.... lads and lassies from Trim, Moynalty, DID Dunboyne, Swords all travel to the league..

5 groups of ability in the league makes for fair racing across the board, everyone in with a chance of a placed top 15 finish...

http://navanroadclub.ie/http://navanroadclub.ie/

or Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/43456118653/https://www.facebook.com/groups/43456118653/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Cheers. I get the impression DID Dunbyone would be a bit above me - they seem to be VERY serious every time I see them around. Might get in touch with Navan though

I thought the same when I joined Lucan but they are a great club and everyone is pretty friendly. Started with the beginners and found that too slow so ended up with the intermediates and then took out a club license and finally upgraded to an A4 so I could race open races.

It's a great buzz being in a peleton, trying to jump off the front and sprinting at the finish. Not sure in retrospect if I should have jumped into A4's straight away as I get dropped on the hills too easy. But definitely try the club racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

average pace would be, average distances,
    Be more worried about the peaks and troughs than the average speeds. Most of the time racing is pretty easy. But there are these 30 sec to 2 min surges of pace where it can be very taxing. These surges last longer and are more frequent the higher you go up the grades (or so I hear).

You can limit the exertion with good positioning and drafting. On hills there is nowhere to hide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I would love to race.

I have signed on at races and pedalled the bike when the racers started, but I would still love to actually race. ;-)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I started commuting a few years ago, then was dragged out by some of the guys from the local club (who had seen me posting here) for some winter training spins

I thought I would maybe try some TTs with the IVCA and fancied the idea of a bit of pursuiting on the track

Anyway, I managed to crash as a result of heading out training when it was icy and broke my wrist. While recovering I thought sod it and signed up to the local club and IVCA, again with the main intention of trying TTs.

Within a couple of weeks of getting the all clear to start cycling again (having spent the best part of 6 weeks on the turbo) I started the club league and never looked back. I won't get anywhere near it this year, but last year I ended up racing 40 times - a combination of track meets, IVCA, Club and Open races and TTs and still try to get out racing whenever I can

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Hey Kevinleeowen. I'm living in the dunshaughlin area as well. DID are a great club to cycle with if you're thinking of goin cycling. They're very much aimed at racing. They'll definitely bring you on. They meet on a Saturday and Sunday at ten. Navan run a good club league. It's great for beginners and they cater for all categories. It's ran on a Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭emtroche

Hi,

I'm just wondering what made people 'take the plunge' and start racing? Would I be way out of my depth?

Cheers

I went to see the finish of the Ras on O'Connell street in 1998 and thought to myself i wouldn't mind having a go at this. Didn't even have a bike. Two years later i was riding the Ras.

Granted that was the "old" Ras and things have changed now but i was still racing 10 months after getting a bike. If you soak up as much info as you can and focus on what you want, you won't be out of your depth. The main thing is don't let people put you off. There's a lot of negativity sometimes so just keep the eye on the ball and you'll be grand. :)

ptogher14 wrote: »
    Hey Kevinleeowen. I'm living in the dunshaughlin area as well. DID are a great club to cycle with if you're thinking of goin cycling. They're very much aimed at racing. They'll definitely bring you on. They meet on a Saturday and Sunday at ten. Navan run a good club league. It's great for beginners and they cater for all categories. It's ran on a Tuesday evening.

Hey ptogher14, thanks for that. Are you a member of either? Just wondering which would be more suited to a beginner racer like myself? I'd rather be going to Dunbyone as it's that little bit closer, but I've always had the impression they weren't too interested in people just starting out in racing - but I may be way off the mark there?

Everyone started somewhere, I would be very surprised if Dunboyne didn't welcome you warmly. If not your more than welcome down in Navan.....pop down for a look anyways...Tuesday nights at 7.30 our League sets out from Navan Retail Park (Halfords)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

I'm a member of dunboyne. They are very racing oriented but would certainly welcome beginners. I only started cycling last year and joined them the winter gone by. I also take part in the navan club league on a Tuesday night. I found it a great place start. It caters for everybody. Everybody has to start somewhere so just jump in and go for a club race and see what you make of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Everyone started somewhere, I would be very surprised if Dunboyne didn't welcome you warmly. If not your more than welcome down in Navan.....pop down for a look anyways...Tuesday nights at 7.30 our League sets out from Navan Retail Park (Halfords)

Can anybody with a competition licence rock up and take part?

How much is sign on? And what time does sign on close at?

What route are the races held on?

Its limited to club members and adjacent clubs by invite am afraid. Hence keeping first timer racers safe and secure within their own ranks

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice - think I'll take the plunge!

I'll be purchasing a new bike in the next few weeks/months, and had been hoping to get a Compact 50/34 groupset but with 22 gears (such as the SRAM force 22), but if I'm going to be racing, would I be better off going with a standard double as opposed to a compact?

Advertisement