Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Lowry's home raided by Revenue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭invpat

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Michael Lowry's home raided by Revenue

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0725/464620-michael-lowry/

Looks like the Revenue are not happy with Lowry's tax return? In the news last week he is being sued by his accountants.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0722/3566117-michael-lowry-sued-by-accountancy-firm-over-unpaid-bill/

Does this man pay anybody? It is hard to believe that he is still a TD.

Bit late raiding it now I am sure the shredder has done its job long ago.Purely optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

invpat wrote: »
    Bit late raiding it now I am sure the shredder has done its job long ago.Purely optics.

Yes indeed, we have all become so cynical. After the horse has bolted, as in years ago, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You wouldn't know what they would find all it would take is some carelessness on his part, and a single document could be enough to catch him on.
    You would be very surprised how lazy people can be with such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,151 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If denied a tax clearance cert, he has to resign right? Or is that the UK system?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StabiloBoss

They must have keys to his place by now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

invpat wrote: »
    Purely optics.
    Here we go.

What's the point in (legitimately) criticizing prosecutorial sloth in this country, when the authorities do take affirmative action and they are dismissed as engaging in "optics".

Nobody wins except the perpetual cynics, who are relieved they don't have to change their minds about anything.

Here we go.

What's the point in (legitimately) criticizing prosecutorial sloth in this country, when the authorities do take affirmative action and they are dismissed as engaging in "optics".

Nobody wins except the perpetual cynics, who are relieved they don't have to change their minds about anything.

Taking affirmative action long after the horse has bolted.This is just another sop for the plebs.

yeah yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

Here we go.

ah yes the case that broke down because the star witness had to go to hospital with an undeclared illness, compare that with another high profile case going on where one withness had to go to hospital, we were informed of the illness, then when a second witness had to enter hospital it was the same, the above post mentiones perpetual cynics, please change that to the perpetual lied to.

flutered wrote: »
    ah yes the case that broke down because the star witness had to go to hospital with an undeclared illness, compare that with another high profile case going on where one withness had to go to hospital, we were informed of the illness, then when a second witness had to enter hospital it was the same, the above post mentiones perpetual cynics, please change that to the perpetual lied to.

Totally agree,there is always someone who stands up for this rotten system,When Lowry is resting his Armani arse in Mountjoy thats when I will lose my so called cyncism.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »

The case apparently had to be finished by the 4th August. For I presume, The Court holidays? Why bring such a difficult case to be heard when it may take longer, allowing for illness etc and in a very limited time frame? It does not stand to reason, its not as if the prosecution does not know when the Court is closed for holidays?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The case apparently had to be finished by the 4th August. For I presume, The Court holidays? Why bring such a difficult case to be heard when it may take longer, allowing for illness etc and in a very limited time frame? It does not stand to reason, its not as if the prosecution does not know when the Court is closed for holidays?

I think the case collapsing has a lot more to do with the credibility of the main prosecution witness, Frank Dunlop. When he openly admitted to perjury earlier on in the week many suspected that the case wouldn't get very far.

The case apparently had to be finished by the 4th August. For I presume, The Court holidays?
    No the trial had been ongoing for 3 weeks and it was ready to wrap up.

The circuit court can continue to sit into the long vacation where hearing has commenced during the term, when has that ever been a problem.

listen man no point in trying to just discredit absolutely everything because people just zone out. Criticism becomes background noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

/Wonders what are the government trying to bury.

listen man no point in trying to just discredit absolutely everything because people just zone out. Criticism becomes background noise.

Can you clarify what you are suggesting? I would not want to get the wrong impression that you are suggesting I am discrediting everything for the sake of it.

It stated on RTE news that the trial had to be finished by 4th August. When this was not going to be the case, the prosecution wanted to continue in September, to the objection of the defence. The whole case appears to have been ill prepared, ill timed when the Court was due to close and use of a witness who has a conviction for corruption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It is hard to believe that he is still a TD.

His attitude is probably a prerequisite for election in his constituency.

Can you clarify what you are suggesting? I would not want to get the wrong impression that you are suggesting I am discrediting everything for the sake of it.
    I don't know if you are, I think that general and unreasoned cynicism prevails on this section of this bulletin board quite a bit, compared with other sites. It was directed at you but is also a general observation. If it doesn't apply to you, I apologize and take it back.
    It stated on RTE news that the trial had to be finished by 4th August. When this was not going to be the case, the prosecution wanted to continue in September, to the objection of the defence.
    No the situation is that there would have been an unreasonable burden on the jury, some of whom had previously warned the court of prior commitments. The circuit court can and does continue hearings that have commenced in the days or weeks running into the vacation.

However, the judge cannot, under the circuit court rules just re-commence an non-urgent hearing during the long vacation. This hearing has already waited 20 years (amazingly), another nine weeks wasn't going to be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

tom o connell was the prosecuting council, does he only take the plum jobs, it looks like the department of the ag has some mighty egg on its face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It all smacks of the 'golden circle' at work again - one of those on trial was the son of former FG leader, ex.Taoiseach Liam Cosgrave and still a member of the Council of State. What's the bets that Dunlop makes a rapid recovery comparable to that made by the former CEO of Guinness, Ernest Saunders. Saunders was convicted of serious fraud and insider dealing but was released from prison after only 10 months due to advanced Alzheimer's disease! He is the only person in medical history to have made a complete recovery from the disease....One law for the golden circle and another for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you are, I think that general and unreasoned cynicism prevails on this section of this bulletin board quite a bit, compared with other sites. It was directed at you but is also a general observation. If it doesn't apply to you, I apologize and take it back.

No the situation is that there would have been an unreasonable burden on the jury, some of whom had previously warned the court of prior commitments. The circuit court can and does continue hearings that have commenced in the days or weeks running into the vacation.

However, the judge cannot, under the circuit court rules just re-commence an non-urgent hearing during the long vacation. This hearing has already waited 20 years (amazingly), another nine weeks wasn't going to be fatal.

People are allowed to be cynical in their opinion if they wish, and there is ample reason in Irish politics for them to have that cynicism. A younger person might not be as cynical as an older person, but time could change that, you perhaps are the former.

I know what I heard on the RTE news on at least 2 occasions, about the 4th August. In hindsight the case did collapse not just because of Mr. Dunlop but also because of the time pressure, probably on several parties. As I posted a badly prepared and timed case from the DPP.

• Advertisement

It all smacks of the 'golden circle' at work again - one of those on trial was the son of former FG leader, ex.Taoiseach Liam Cosgrave and still a member of the Council of State. What's the bets that Dunlop makes a rapid recovery comparable to that made by the former CEO of Guinness, Ernest Saunders. Saunders was convicted of serious fraud and insider dealing but was released from prison after only 10 months due to advanced Alzheimer's disease! He is the only person in medical history to have made a complete recovery from the disease....One law for the golden circle and another for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Imagine, he managed to get buy medical opinion from probably more than one eminent medical consultant that he had Alzheimer's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It stated on RTE news that the trial had to be finished by 4th August. When this was not going to be the case, the prosecution wanted to continue in September, to the objection of the defence. The whole case appears to have been ill prepared, ill timed when the Court was due to close and use of a witness who has a conviction for corruption

Really, do you have absolutely any source for that claim??

Frank Dunlop was the key witness for the prosecution, but he has been all over the place for days now. When you self-confess as a perjurer you sort have no credibility giving evidence in a case. The prosecution knew the case was going no where, which is unfortunate as it is looking like justice may not be served.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 David Acorah

Lowry gave an interview to his local radio station Tipp FM today.

It starts at 29 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The arrogance of that man has he no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

What the hell is going on in Tipp if they keep re-electing this man. Gombeen politics still alive and kicking I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Lowry for Taoiseach

I know what I heard on the RTE news on at least 2 occasions, about the 4th August. In hindsight the case did collapse not just because of Mr. Dunlop but also because of the time pressure, probably on several parties.
    The time pressure came from the jurors. Two of them had holidays booked. One more had already been excused.

You're determined to see something that isn't there.

The time pressure came from the jurors. Two of them had holidays booked. One more had already been excused.

You're determined to see something that isn't there.

What are you on about? On second thoughts never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭worded

Irish politicians and justice.

Like that huge statue that holds the scales on top of the wall at Dublin castle, it has it's back to the people.

• Advertisement

What are you on about? On second thoughts never mind.
    I can see why you're saying never mind, because it shows you were completely wrong.

You presumed that the trial couldn't go ahead because of the long vacaction. You repeated that presumption above, saying that the trial was "ill-timed" with the court holidays.

You're completely wrong. The trial could not go past the 2nd of August because two jurors were going on holidays after that date, and one juror had already been dismissed. It was nothing to do with the long vacation.

Advertisement