Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to put savings now

Options
  • 25-07-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Since there is no value putting money in the an post saving bonds and no interest worth talking about in the banks where are all the boardies putting their money these days. And at what interest rate.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Lome wrote: »
    Since there is no value putting money in the an post saving bonds and no interest worth talking about in the banks where are all the boardies putting their money these days. And at what interest rate.

Thanks

9mt deposit rate seem to be offering best value at the moment but its hardly worth it.

If you have any credit cards or loans it might be better to consider paying these off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lome

9mt deposit rate seem to be offering best value at the moment but its hardly worth it.

If you have any credit cards or loans it might be better to consider paying these off first.

Hi no I don't have any credit cards or loans either. I have a few Bob built up but have nowhere to put it at the moment.. What do people in this position put their money?

There are a lot of shares that are yielding more than the deposit rate but beware share prices can go down as well as up so it all really depends on your risk profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lome

There are a lot of shares that are yielding more than the deposit rate but beware share prices can go down as well as up so it all really depends on your risk profile.

Thanks Gordon sounds interesting but I know nothing about buying shares. Can I buy them directly or do I have to pay someone to buy them for me? Do they take a % of what I invest ? Sorry I'm a complete noob

Lome wrote: »
    Thanks Gordon sounds interesting but I know nothing about buying shares. Can I buy them directly or do I have to pay someone to buy them for me? Do they take a % of what I invest ? Sorry I'm a complete noob

a lot would depend on how much you are investing and how many times a year you will be trading. If you are a noob you would want to do a lot of reading about shares first. Taking advise off a stranger on the internet us probably a quick way to the poor house.

Have you considered joining an investment club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Gekkos advice is spot on, tough to decide where to deploy capital at the minute. Knowledge is most definitely required at this stage in the game for any investment other than bank deposits

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hypnoticaz

silver - no risk, best way of securing money + there is a forecast of silver going up in value a lot..

bitcoin - small risk involved, but LOTS of money to be made if it becomes more widely adopted
    In my opinion the biggest risk of bitcoin loosing value is if better "virtual storage of value" comes up in future, but whats the hussle to swap then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

hypnoticaz wrote: »
    silver - no risk, best way of securing money + there is a forecast of silver going up in value a lot..

what are you on about ? Are deluded ? Where have you been living ?

Precious metals in the last 6months or m ore have take a huge hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Amd shares had another big pull back recently based on a "professional analysts" / Profiteering BS article.

They are on a rapid climb back up as people who know where they are going in the next year are snapping up more cheaper shares.

You could still at least double your money on these in the next 6 months.

Precious metals in the last 6months or m ore have take a huge hit.[/QUOTE]

And so? please elaborate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Fitz123

Hypnoticaz, to say silver is "no risk" is highly misleading. Every investment in existence has a risk. Not sure what makes silver the best way of securing money

Bitcoin ? Right .... Hugely volatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dire I say it property. Never follow the crowd the fundamentals are looking good for property investment in the city of Dublin

Dire I say it property. Never follow the crowd the fundamentals are looking good for property investment in the city of Dublin

what positive "fundamentals" do you mean?

Fitz123 wrote: »
    Hypnoticaz, to say silver is "no risk" is highly misleading. Every investment in existence has a risk. Not sure what makes silver the best way of securing money

Bitcoin ? Right .... Hugely volatile.

First of all i think the prices of silver are being manipulated. They are kept artificialy low. - i heard from few sources that there is much more "paper assets" than physical silver and gold. Why? They don't want people to realize the real value of physical silver and gold and the real value of fiat money - which is slavery currency they can control it how they want, print it as much as they want (devalue), while they can't print silver and gold. Maybe im wrong :)

Another thing is that silver is limited in supply, its used in industry, its becoming harder to buy silver coins right now and i think much bigger shortage is coming.

Now forget about what I said above.

How buying silver can be risky? Do you think its value will go down to 0 or what? Nobody is gonna give his silver for free or even half free away.. There is growing demand for it as a security and its used in industry. Thats why i think its value woun't go down much anymore. "Paper assets" of silver might drop but thats not real value of silver..

Therefore I think the only risk with buying silver is human extinction for the investment to go wrong :D

Bitcoin and huge volatility.. It is volatile, but that doesn't automaticly mean its risky. Yes it could drop tomorrow to 50 dollars again so what - in half year it might be 200 dollars again. If you are in it for longterm like most people are with investing in houses etc. you should be ok.
    If it becomes widely adopted one bitcoin should be worth thousands - there will be only 21 million of them in the world, compare it to any other currency.
    If it scares anybody stay away from it.. but if you always stay on the safe side remember you might not get to drink the shampagne ;)

Unlike gold, I'm aware that silver has more industrial uses. But as you say yourself it is being manipulated, so surely it could be manipulated lower ? At the end of the day, to say there is no risk is highly misleading i.e. physically holding it; theft risk, if you don't physically hold it you have counterparty risks etc.

I wouldn't consider bitcoins an investment really.

Only commodity I would currently consider buying is uranium, even then it would be a small % of investments, and I certainly wouldn't say there no risks involved in buying it.

Unlike gold, I'm aware that silver has more industrial uses. But as you say yourself it is being manipulated, so surely it could be manipulated lower ? At the end of the day, to say there is no risk is highly misleading i.e. physically holding it; theft risk, if you don't physically hold it you have counterparty risks etc.

I wouldn't consider bitcoins an investment really.

Only commodity I would currently consider buying is uranium, even then it would be a small % of investments, and I certainly wouldn't say there no risks involved in buying it.

What might happen I think is that at some point people hopefully will realize that physical silver and paper assets of it are two different things and once this happens they will want to get their physical silver as they will loose trust in companies holding it. When everybody reaches for they silver and gold the stock markets might collapse same as bank would if everybody wanted to get their money at one time.
    Then the price of physical silver will skyrocket in price, because there wount be that much of it as everybody thought.

I could be wrong, but this is what I believe might happen if they keep ripping people off their savings and when people will loose trust in fiat money which they are already.

Could you tell me some more about uranium?

Could be a squeeze, who knows !!

Uranium, while there is a spot market, mostly is traded on longer term contracts. At the moment the megatonne to megawatt project is coming to a halt (a project that converted weapons grade uranium to that usable in power stations) I don't have to hand how much of supply that represented, but if I recall it was a considerable portion of supply over the last few years.

Increase in demand as the japanese are turning their stations back on again, and there has been a general increase in nuclear power stations over the last number of years.

While uranium prices dropped significantly after the Fujishima disaster, given the reduction in supply and likely increase in demand I would expect a resulting increase in prices.

Cameco is one of the larger uranium companies which may see an increase. Junior uranium miners while much riskier would likely increase much more if my theory is correct. I have some exposure to uranium through Greenland Minerals & Energy (thread about that here) but looking at other entities at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Does anyone have an opinion on investing in 3-D Printer companies?

This seems to be the next big technological advance, although the actual technology has been around for thirty years or more. I have absolutely no knowledge of anything to do with the markets but would risk a small sum as a long-term investment. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Revolver76

Can anyone advise on best options for a lump sum of 44k due to me in September from a State Savings account..

I'm really not interested in investments as i've been down that road before and was just lucky enough to hang on to the money i invested so i'm looking at which deposit accounts would be best.Really anything from 1yr/3yrs saving period.

Thanks.

Revolver76 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on best options for a lump sum of 44k due to me in September from a State Savings account..

I'm really not interested in investments as i've been down that road before and was just lucky enough to hang on to the money i invested so i'm looking at which deposit accounts would be best.Really anything from 1yr/3yrs saving period.

Thanks.

probably best to put it back into one of the state saving schemes again

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

Revolver76 wrote: »

Thanks.

buy shares in ford motor company , will easily rise 50% in the next three years

green_bow wrote: »
    buy shares in ford motor company , will easily rise 50% in the next three years

they asked about deposit accounts not shares

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

A discretionary portfolio with one of the wealth managers is probably the way to go (if you've six figures or more).

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    A discretionary portfolio with one of the wealth managers is probably the way to go (if you've six figures or more).

its 44k

Revolver decide when you need access to the 44k. Look at deposit accounts for similar terms and / or state savings schemes. From what you have stated other investment classes seems to risky. I'm assuming you have no debt at high interest rates.

Depending on your age I might suggest putting a small amount into AVC's assuming you would attract 41% relief.

Revolver decide when you need access to the 44k. Look at deposit accounts for similar terms and / or state savings schemes. From what you have stated other investment classes seems to risky. I'm assuming you have no debt at high interest rates.

Depending on your age I might suggest putting a small amount into AVC's assuming you would attract 41% relief.

And you could get 30% of your AVCs back in case of an emergency (for at least the next circa 2.5 years).

Yes Jack, but that would be taxed as income, so your upfront tax saving is clawed back if I recall.

Yes Jack, but that would be taxed as income, so your upfront tax saving is clawed back if I recall.

Of course.

My point was just that it would all be locked away long term (because of the current 30% withdrawal concession).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

Jack Kyle wrote: »

they charge a minimum 2% per anum and what they offer is no different to the ETF,s which vanguard or ishares charge .25% for

no need to go near a financial institution for funds these days , four out of five managed funds fail to beat the market each year

• Advertisement

green_bow wrote: »
    they charge a minimum 2% per anum and what they offer is no different to the ETF,s which vanguard or ishares charge .25% for

no need to go near a financial institution for funds these days , four out of five managed funds fail to beat the market each year

Not true.

I pay 1%.

Advertisement