Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple shares

Options
  • 24-07-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

In last one year, apple shares have been hammered but now seemingly apple is bouncing back! And new product(s) in horizen ! good time to bo buy few shares ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

RR2026 wrote: »
    In last one year, apple shares have been hammered but now seemingly apple is bouncing back! And new product(s) in horizen ! good time to bo buy few shares ??

a lot of the results focused on increased sales on their older products like iphone4 rather than the newer products like iphone5. It maybe that they will need a killer app to get people to upgrade to newer higher margin technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭RR2026

Cheers Gordongekko !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Their margins are going to continue to get squeezed massively as the current technology ages and competitors catch up, but a very good quarter and i'm hopeful for the future. That said they really need to get new blockbuster products out there.

Their stuck in between a value investors choice (low P/E and significant dividend + share buybacks) and a growth investors choice (the hope for new products!) so I think the share price is suffering as a result of not being consistent.

Tim Cook needs to stop playing around and get a TV product, with the similar advances the iPhone brought to the mobile market, released to the public. I honestly can see what the problem is!! Bring in touch screen capability and internet access along with the great user operating system of the iPhone/ iPad. The technology and demand is there waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you think the need to actually make a TV? It's not their gig they'd be best concentrate on phones and pads, If they did make a TV it would be a flop from a shareholders point of view.

Do you think the need to actually make a TV? It's not their gig they'd be best concentrate on phones and pads, If they did make a TV it would be a flop from a shareholders point of view.

They've passed the peak of phone penetration, the rest surpassed them in technology a few years ago and are eating into the top end of the market. Apple have actively avoided the mid-range market and it's too late for them to change tactics profitably. They still have their massive margins and cash reserves, they're going nowhere for quite a while but I can't see how they're going to create another "new" market in the next 5 years.

• Advertisement

4k is where the next breakthrough in tvs is at. This technology is still massively expensive. Not a lot of point in releasing a new tv until this tech develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Did they need to make the iPad? Tablets weren't their gig and that turned out brilliantly. Same with the iPod, they were a computer manufacturer at the time!!! Apples all about innovation and I firmly believe TV has huge potential for innovation. Look at your own TV, whats changed in ten years? maybe its HD and has USB connections, that's about it as far as the average TV goes.

Do you not think there is huge potential for an Apple TV with the same level of innovation they took to the music device, mobile and tablet devices?

The streets crying out for a new blockbuster product even confirmation that they are developing a Apple TV would be great for shareholders

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xertpo

I think it would be anything but a flop. It would give them full control of the home entertainment experience. Smart TV's have generally been a flop, as the technology has been poorly designed, lacked easy device integration, and as aresult the user experience has been less than enjoyable. The Apple television would overcome these flaws, as it would integrate all your devices across one platform - ipad, iphone, apple television.

I currently use the apple tv (box) and I love it. But it I wish it was the core interface to my television viewing experience.

It's in the pipeline anyway, and we should see it in 2014. The mark up will most likely be the highest for all of apple's products.

What you think of this article from CNN money. ? -see the link below
    http://money.cnn.com/quote/forecast/forecast.html?symb=AAPL

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

xertpo wrote: »
    I currently use the apple tv (box) and I love it. But it I wish it was the core interface to my television viewing experience.

There is nothing stopping them doing that without making a TV. All they would have to do is include HMDI pass through on the apple TV like the XBox One does or build in a tuner. I don't think they will though. The way we watch TV is changing, it is becoming more about streaming and on demand than scheduled programming. The big TV companies don't like it and will resist it but eventually they will come around to it.

I think Apple should stick with their current Apple TV. It's relatively cheap, has massive margins, renting content brings in more revenue and it complements their existing line up of products and adds to the "halo effect".

The margins on TVs are pretty tight so Apple would have to price way above the other brands to make a healthy margin like they enjoy on their other products.

• Advertisement

Investor icahn has purchased shares in apple. He has now secured a meeting with management in an effort to get them to increase their share buyback programme. He is believe to be targeting a $700 share price.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Fitz123

Sept 10th is supposedly when a new Iphone, and cheaper Iphone will be announced. Cheaper Iphone may be key to getting in with China Mobile who currently have 700 million subscribers and don't stock Apple phones.

Depending on how this goes, it will have a massive impact on the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pennystockwhiz

Apple have over $147 billion in the bank, it'll be interesting too see what they do with all that money.

Apple have over $147 billion in the bank, it'll be interesting too see what they do with all that money.

True, much of it held outside the US though and subject to US tax if it is brought "home." They cleverly borrowed a few months ago at record low rates for the increased stock buyback. Will be interesting to see if they borrow more (albeit at slightly higher rates) to further extent the buyback.

I see they announced another small acquisition to try to improve their mapping offering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Loads of hype around apple lately, for that fact I would stay away personally. If it goes under $400 again then it may be of interest.

jank wrote: »
    Loads of hype around apple lately, for that fact I would stay away personally. If it goes under $400 again then it may be of interest.

I'm waiting for announcements on the 2 new Iphones and China Mobile deal, and have a target price in my head for selling out.

They're a great company but consumer electronics is so competitive they will be put under enormous pressure over time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea agreed, it is so volatile you have to really keep an eye on it all the time. You would never buy and hold apple. It is not what I am after at the moment.

icahn wants them to use some of thr money to buy back stock

The 44 analysts offering 12-month price forecasts for Apple median target of with a high estimate of 655.00 and a low estimate of 360.00.

See the link below:
    http://money.cnn.com/quote/forecast/forecast.html?symb=AAPL

Not long ago a lot of analysts were saying $1k per share !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pennystockwhiz

The fastest way to lose money is listening to what analysts have to say, der wrong more than der right..

Too right Penny, most not worth listening to. Am excited for apples next product announcement mid-Sept. Hoping for cheap version of the Iphone, and a deal with China Mobile. After that, if shareprice moves to the target I have in mind, will sell.

Samsung and Qualcomm both launched smartwatch today apple launch is Sept 10.

im not sure the advantages of it and I will enjoy reading the reviews.

Strangely, Apple shares rose more than 2% to $499.16 in afternoon trade after Samsung unveiled its new smartwatch, Apple is also said to be developing a wearable device called iWatch.

See the link below http://www.foxbusiness.com/investing/2013/09/04/analyst-apple-stock-on-tap-to-soar-as-innovations-emerge/#ixzz2dy5begzg

A lot of the recent apple run up is to do with rumoured deals with NTT in Japan and China Mobile, who between them have 700 million subscribers. Lots of potential sales for both the new iphone and iphone C there. In the short term this deals will drive the share price much more than the iwatch which I think is still a bit away.

Any announcement on a return of capital (ala Carl Icahn) will also move the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I strongly recommend anyone with an interest in Apple or valuing businesses in general to follow Professor Aswath Damodaran's blog here - http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.ie

Enjoy,

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

Yet another disappointing product launch, apple are now officially no longer innovating, no matter how much Tim Cooke claims they are, the proof is in the pudding. Stock sinking like a stone, good time to short it.

Apple down to 467 starting to be tempted at that level

Icahn is supposed to have bought more today. A lot of the disappointment seems to be around the fact the 5c isn't cheap enough. Have some shares, happy to hold.

• Advertisement

Sales update was quite impressive !

Advertisement