Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Galway City

Options
  • 24-07-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best value/cheapest gym in and around Galway City? One with a pool would be ideal but it's not essential. Also, do places do 3 or 6 month memberships, or is a year pretty much standard?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The Warehouse Gym or Galway City Gym are both good but there's no pool in either.

Kingfisher in NUIG or Kingfisher in Renmore both have pools (i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Kingfisher NUI has a decent sized pool and sauna/steam rooms, the weights area is a fookin warzone these days tho busy as fook, lads curling everywhere.. i saw a lad curling on the leg press once.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

kingfisher in nuig is too busy!
    i left kingfisher in renmore this time last year, never used the pool there, cardio was ok but weights were pretty poor, they were upstairs but moved now i think.

alot of people suggest 'the connacht hotel' formally the carlton. when you ask for a yearly rate, try and knock €70 of it. heard people say this worked for them here. give them your number and say to call you if any 'offers' come up. dont be afraid to walk away for a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

http://www.leisureland.ie/

It is in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I joined for a month in the gym in the tesco shopping centre today. I'm pleasantly surprised. Not as crap as I thought.

20 to join, then 25 a month after that afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmybob13

Hey guys, Im a girl (21) ...Ive gained 3 stone very quickly due to medication. I'm off those tablets now, but still on another that slows my metabolism, but hoping to get off that soon. I used to never pass 9 stone, 12 now and I'm around 5'7, so really got to lose around 2 stone to be a healthy BMI

These gyms yer on about, are they any good for women??

I plan to live in Galway for at least a year, ....been here off and on for 2 years now. Dont mind paying a years membership, but for the benefit of other people looking at this, it'd be great if ye could add in pay as you go etc prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just home from the one at tescos.

11 people in there, 6 lads, 5 women so you definitely wouldn't be out of place.

Has all the stuff you'd expect.

Has some weird "vibroplates" in the corner that I always see the women on. Shake away the pounds!?

Free spinning and circuit classes 4 times a week.

I should be getting pr money from this place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Anyone use the NRG gym on Bohermore? recommend?

Haha, I went into town to go there myself..........but as soon as I seen the stairs I said funk that!....... I've tendinitis and it started playing hell when I got as far as there! Steps are the worst! I usually go down the stairs on my ass haha, but thought, mmm cant do that heeeere......

Im ok if I take my anti-inflams, thats why I want to join the gym regardless. I just thought I wasn't leaving the house so didnt take them today!

Anyway, any idea of price?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

There's a deal online at the mo... deals.advertiser.ie 5 x One Day Passes for €25 at the Ardilaun Leisure Club.Never been but if it saves a few bob could be worth a view :)

• Advertisement

Went into Planet today (yes, I did climb the stairs this time! ha) ........great prices!! 239 for a year membership, thats just under 20 euro......or you pay it by direct debit, 25 euro a month! Don't know if I can cough up the 239 right now, so I may have to just do it by the month! .......I'll just have to cut something worth a 5er out of my budget to make up for this :P (the endless supply of biscuits maybe???....... I buy dark choc digestives every 2 days.......2 packs....every...2....days..... no wonder I'm fat :P hahaha)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Cut out out the biscuits, and you wont need a gym.
    Seriously.

daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jwalsh1980

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to join the Radisson gym and if is any good? I have been in Kingfisher Nuig for the last 5 years and feel like a change. I live in town so the Radisson would be ideal. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I was in the Radisson gym about 2 years ago and IMO it is a sh1te gym with a cool pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Latsbrah

I am a natural bodybuilder and will study at NUI Galway this autumn.

So far I have considered the Galway City Gym,

Is there any other gyms that are close-ish to the campus or city centre that will facilitate my needs (eg heavier weights)?

Have anyone tried the Gym at the University Sports Complex?

Also, have anyone tried this Gym: http://www.crunchfitness.ie/

Seemed a bit dodgy and may not fit my needs, what do you think?

All suggestions and recommendations are highly appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Just join the NUIG gym it will be cheaper and handier than any other gym since you will get a student rate and you will be on the campus for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jwalsh1980

Anyone know what Ocean Fitness is like? It's located in the Salthill hotel and is supposed to be a state of the art gym. Has 3 pools I think as well. One is a hydrotherapy pool. Probably would not be the cheapest. My membership has expired in Kingfisher NUIG and don't want to rejoin.

Advertisement