Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you men get your hair cut in a salon.

Options
  • 22-07-2013 6:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Would youse ?
    It's the closest place I can get my hair cut €15 thow!!
    The closest barbers is 20 minutes away.

Is it on for a man to go to a salon

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't see what the problem is. Just go in and get a dry cut or whatever. They're not going to turn down custom and I imagine men's hair requires a lot less work than a woman's.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You may get your hair cut wherever you wish as long as you're willing to pay the asking price. Many men go to a salon.

Did this really need two threads? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Would youse ?

Is €15 cheap or expensive?

I have no idea from your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

If I get my hair cut i useually like a sissors cut using a clippers is just a lazy way to cut hair. I dont care i genrally go to barber shops that no how to use sissors :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Shane732 wrote: »
    Is €15 cheap or expensive?

I have no idea from your post.

€15 not expensive at all, costs 25 to get mine done in a saloon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

astonaidan wrote: »

Depends where you are to be honest, I've seen barbers that range in price from €8-9 up to €20 and everything in between with no noticeable difference in the quality. It can also depend on the time of day, usually weekdays before noon can be significantly cheaper.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just go to a barber. But when I lived at home and didn't have much choice, I went to the hairdresser across the road. Main difference is the fact you've women in front of you which tends to mean a much longer wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Would youse ?

Would go provided they specifically offer mens cuts;

apparently the training is different for mens as to how to blend the locks rather than straight across, do you like to get stray hairs on the back of your neck done with a razor, generally tapering at the back etc,

experienced hairdressers will be well able to do all this; but if you get someone new to the sector just chancing it for the money then different story. Dont know if you get them done but some salons are reluctant to go near eyebrows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Ah yea, but you get a shot of whiskey & 30 minutes with one of the saloon girls for your 25 smackeroos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

A decent hairdresser will cut a man's hair no problem. Tapering and blending are par for the course for a lot of ladies styles too.

The real question is - 'is it cool for me strike into the belly of the beast under the pretence of wanting a haircut?' Of course it is - beats listening to transfer talk and/ or staring at The Sun.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I was being slightly facetious.

I also get mine done in a salon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've done it a few times if I'm in a hurry..
    No big deal..

Usually costs a few €€ more

15 is pretty reasonable for a salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Ya its no problem but depends on what type of hairdresser you want.

Some hairdressers don't do mens cuts but there will always be one in the salon that does. They are ranked aswell - stylist, consultant.

To be fair, I find salon hairdressers better than standard barbers as the €15 cut is a buzz cut. You are in, out, gone which isn't the best thing. In the 2 salons I go to (one at home and one over here in London) they always sit you down and talk about what you want, and how it will look in a week, compared to different cuts.

That said, salons can be expensive. In Ireland, I'm lucky as its a friend (owner) that does it and get charged €20, when if I went somewhere else I be charged €30.

In London, its £54. Get it cut every 4 weeks(ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ulinbac wrote: »
    Ya its no problem but depends on what type of hairdresser you want.

Some hairdressers don't do mens cuts but there will always be one in the salon that does. They are ranked aswell - stylist, consultant.

To be fair, I find salon hairdressers better than standard barbers as the €15 cut is a buzz cut. You are in, out, gone which isn't the best thing. In the 2 salons I go to (one at home and one over here in London) they always sit you down and talk about what you want, and how it will look in a week, compared to different cuts.

That said, salons can be expensive. In Ireland, I'm lucky as its a friend (owner) that does it and get charged €20, when if I went somewhere else I be charged €30.

In London, its £54. Get it cut every 4 weeks(ish)

How is it so expensive?

I can see how it would be expensive for women as they get more done with their hair but thats a lot for a fella to have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think if you only want a bog standard mens cut (clippers No 1/2/3/4 etc), then just use the barbers and save the money.

However, if you are looking for a dramatic hairstyle change or complicated or fashionable look, then I would recommend a salon where you are more likely to have stylists with the necessary expertise which is reflected in the price you pay also.

Guys shouldn't feel insecure or unmanly using a hair salon. If they do, then there are other issues at play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

Would'nt ever pay more than a tenner for a cut,lads hair is straight forward,were not after a perm.
    Find a decent barber and return,job done.
    Why any fella would pay crazy prices is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

If you are a man with short hair paying anything over €10 is unnecessary.

If you are a David Beckham style metrosexual with long hair who wants highlights and a fancy cut then maybe pay more for the salon experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Got some bad cuts in barbers and ended up going to sort of an upmarket salon for a while. Had to make an appointment and was usually the only guy in there but it was fine. It took longer but it was a more relaxing place than the barbers. Wash and bit of a head massage before the cut. Very friendly, I actually got the feeling the girl cutting it welcomed the break from chatting to ladies.
    Far better cut than any barbers I've been to (and I wouldn't be looking for anything too fancy). Ended up back at barbers (for the convenience I suppose) but I must go back again sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I used to get mine cut in a local salon years ago. The girl who cut my hair all the time was also trained as a barber so knew what she was doing. In your situation though, I'd rather just walk the 20 mins tbh, that's not too long a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

What this about paying anything I do it myself with a scissors and clippers. Still end up looking like one of them twats on the barbers wall, but sure isn't that all the rage...

miss my long hair but wanted to deconstruct my image just to look like a regular guy, and see how people don't react!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I get mine cut in a salon. Hair washed, paper to read, coffee offered and great cut for the same price as the grubbiest of barbers. 15 is a bit on the expensive side though. Anyone paying 20+ are either getting something more than a dry cut or they are getting robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

There's only 1 barber that I will let at my hair.

He's about 18km away, in a different town. Does walkin business, but appointments take priority. Listens to what I want, and makes suggestions based on my head shape, hair type, etc. Complimentary tea/coffee/soft drinks while you wait. Has a loyalty system. Knows my name. Knows what I got done last. Has his own line of products, but stocks others. Just released his own line of barberware. Is a Master Barber.

General price - €10 - €15, depends on what I get done.
    General price of other places - €5 - €10.

I'll gladly give him my money. When I leave his shop, my hair is right.

And no, a hair dresser is not the same as a barber. Granted, some of the techniques are the same, but so is a dog groomer.

As with anything, if you are not practicing EVERY day, you lose the pizzazz.

I was in a barbers once, and as usual, I informed them that I had a double crown, so that they knew not to cut around it too short. She asked me what a double crown was. She didn't cut my hair, and I haven't returned to that shop since.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

How is it so expensive?

I can see how it would be expensive for women as they get more done with their hair but thats a lot for a fella to have to pay.

The one in London is right beside work, which is one of the financial hubs in the city. It won hairdresser of the year in the UK and I am really not arsed walking any further. Do long hours so the closer the better. She does magazines and the like aswell.

Its not worth the money, paying for the location and experience. Wouldn't mind paying £40 tbh. Its somewhat like Sofiztikateds post, will only let one hairdresser here and one at home touch my hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I dont understand why people are so picky when it comes to hair cuts. Its a simple job and there are plenty decent barbers/stylists who will do it for a reasonable price. There is no way in hell the difference between a decent barber/stylist and a high end salon is worth the difference in cost for a regular mens cut.

I get the "I have a guy that cuts my hair" thing to some extent though but not if the guy was that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Thing is, it's a simple job if you've got simple hair.

I've tried out about 7 different places, over the last 6 years. Only one has given me a haircut that I like. The rest didn't look right, and some didn't even resemble anything like what I asked for.

Couple that with poor customer service/interaction, and I'm happier to travel a little further, and spend a little more.

It's one of my little luxuries, it's the same way people treat themselves to coffees, teas, craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't do anything fancy with my hair. I go in and get it cut once every couple months and that's it. So just a number 3 then that's it for another couple months.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Buy a hair trimmers for 30 euros. Infinite free hair cuts :P

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement