Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestants in PIRA or INLA

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

forgot to mention earlier bobby sands' father was protestant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Not according to Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

His Grandfather wasn't it...

His Grandfather wasn't it...

Rather clutching at straws? Perhaps he once spoke to a Protestant...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Rather clutching at straws? Perhaps he once spoke to a Protestant...:rolleyes:

Maybe do a bit of reading .. ;)
    http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-But-Unfinished-Song-Times/dp/1560258888

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

da_hambo wrote: »
    Amazing, so he very well could have gone the other way and become John Stephenson UDA / UVF leader?

Just doing a bit of googling, he was buried in St Marys Cemetary Navan. St Marys Church nearby is a Catholic Parish.

Did this guy ever release a memoir? Would be interesting to read how his ideals were formes.

He wrote a fairly detailed memoir soon after he was ousted as Cheif of Staff called (I think ) "Revolutionary days in Ireland". Doesn't go into much detail as to how his beliefs formed, I think he mentions selling Sinn Fein newspapers outside irish dances in london when he was younger.

Thanks, but I'll pass on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 JimLynagh87

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Anyway, Rose Dugdale was a dopey English radical and not a member of the C of I so she doesn't count. :D

Rose Dugdale was a renegade along with Eddie Gallagher & Marion Coyle. Coyle's Uncles were blown up by their own bomb i the very first piece of recordered IRA activity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 JimLynagh87

Read in Timothy Bowman's Carson's Army [/URL]on the old UVF - slightly off-topic, perhaps, that at least one of the UVF branches made an effort to recruit Catholics into their ranks (alas, have forgotten which one and I don't have the book at hand to check).

A bit optimistic on their part, perhaps, but it's interesting that they thought it was worth the shot.

Carson really seemed to understand the dangers of alienaiting the Catholic minority, he probably had a btter understanding of how "taigs" talked better than his bigoted Ulster allies. It's probably why he never visited the hell hole again.

Advertisement