Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What items do you collect from cities/countries you've visited?

Options
  • 17-07-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I do quite a lot of travelling and I'm thinking I might start a little souvenir collection so that in years to come I have something physical to show for all my backpacking adventures.

The obvious choices would be to pick up a fridge magnet or shot glass from every destination but that seems a little tacky or too obvious and not very unique or personal. I want to collect something a little more.... worthwhile if you understand what I mean.

So just wondering what do other boardies collect from their journeys? Any interesting ideas or suggestions I can steal borrow? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lc180 wrote: »
    Hi,

I do quite a lot of travelling and I'm thinking I might start a little souvenir collection so that in years to come I have something physical to show for all my backpacking adventures.

The obvious choices would be to pick up a fridge magnet or shot glass from every destination but that seems a little tacky or too obvious and not very unique or personal.

So just wondering what do other boardies out there collect from their journeys? Any interesting ideas or suggestions I can steal borrow? :pac:

I just collect the memories. IMO, souvenir's are just glorified junk that are usually a stereotype of the place you visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

jester77 wrote: »
    I just collect the memories. IMO, souvenir's are just glorified junk that are usually a stereotype of the place you visited.

I totally agree with you, nothing can replace the great memories and stories you gain from travelling!

I def dont want to collect junk or useless crap, maybe i didnt explain that well. Souvenir's is probably the wrong term for me to use. One other idea I have is to buy a small piece of street art from each city, its something kinda unique and not mass produced that is a physical memory of a time and place in my life. If you catch my drift.....

Just wondering do other folks like to collect anything from their travelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I have a genuine piece of the Berlin Wall sitting on my windowsill.

I nearly got arrested taking it and had to do a bit of a runner through a building site to keep it.

Every now and again I look at it and think - what the hell the piece of concrete is all about.

In more ways than one, it poses more questions than answers we'll never have.

I'm glad to have it.

Its my little piece of history.

Having said that, I do buy a fridge magnet wherever I go.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Lapin wrote: »
    Having said that, I do buy a fridge magnet wherever I go.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that indeed! I sincerely hope my other posts don't make coming across like a stuck up git, not my intention.....

You've got yourself a really amazing piece of history, I'm very jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Nothing wrong with that indeed! I sincerely hope my other posts don't make coming across like a stuck up git, not my intention.....

You've got yourself a really amazing piece of history, I'm very jealous!

Nothing wrong with it except that they stole it!!! If everyone keep stealing pieces of national tresures then they wont be there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I totally agree with you, nothing can replace the great memories and stories you gain from travelling!

I def dont want to collect junk or useless crap, maybe i didnt explain that well. Souvenir's is probably the wrong term for me to use. One other idea I have is to buy a small piece of street art from each city, its something kinda unique and not mass produced that is a physical memory of a time and place in my life. If you catch my drift.....

Just wondering do other folks like to collect anything from their travelling.

I usually don't bring back anything physical and when I do it's a food or drink product that can'y be obtained here.

Street art is a cool idea, what I do is print out photographs. There are a few lovely photos in my kitchen from different places, one is just a glass of coffee but it looks great, I've another of a fresh vegetable market with very vibrant colors, another of a fish market with lots of different crustaceans. Just don't overdo it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

A decoration for a christmas tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Been to about 10 countries in 12 months and have tried to keep the load light. Things I've kept have been gifts from people and just the odd trinket. If I was rich I'd have loaded up on sculptures and handicrafts but tis a bit hard to keep in the backpack.

Wouldnt bother with a collection of the same thing. There is genuinely some jaw dropping crafts for quite affordable prices. I need a job so that I can buy myself some Vietnamese lacquer work now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Gatica

while I don't approve of nicking pieces of historical importance that belong to the state, I don't think collecting something that represents the area you visited is tacky.
    Personally I have a little wooden elephant from India, a wooden Buddha head from Cambodia, hand-painted blue/white-ceramics (gzhel) from Russia, etc... I have magnets from Ski resorts mainly, but just cos I travel light and cannot bring back anything bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I don't collect anything myself but I have a friend who collects key rings from where ever she's been. She takes the ring bit out and threads a ribbon through and she decorates a little christmas tree in her hallway with them each christmas. It's a nice idea IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Music. CDs of local bands, aboriginal music. Or shirts. I like loud shirts. Occasionaly, beads and necklaces but the earlier post is correct - it's the memories that are most important. I guess take lots of pictures to remind you of the time you spent away - even the most mundane of things, so you have a record.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it except that they stole it!!! If everyone keep stealing pieces of national tresures then they wont be there anymore.

Yep, I stole a bit of the Berlin Wall.

Thats why it ain't there anymore.

Just to clarify - I detest those who take items from places where they cannot be replaced. Bits of Ayers Rock, The Burren, Great Wall etc.....

The bit of the Berlin Wall I made off with was running through a building site near the Oberbaumbrucke Bridge. It was being demolished and fecked into a skip.

Far from being regarded as a "national treasure" by the site workers, the wall was seen as a reminder of the divisions Berlin (and Europe) is trying to forget.

Most of the wall has long since been built over as those who lived with it in their midst wanted out of their sight. I don't blame them. Very little trace of it remains intact.

The vast majority of the fragements that once made the wall either ended up in skips to be used as foundations in the construction of a new Berlin or on the mantlepieces and windowsills of people all over the world like mine.

And I don't feel one bit guilty for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Have a thing for little stone or metal ornaments usually based on a famous landmark of the city / country. So a little steel Eiffel Tower, a marble Colosseum, a small copper helmet from a stall in Pompeii, that kind of thing. Was very close to buying a full size machete from a village on the Nile last year, but thought it would just be hassle in the airport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Snow globes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We collect mugs for any cities that we visit. Also if there is a Hard Rock cafe there we will get one of their "shot glass's" which will have the name of the city on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I used to collect crosses. I bought one once in South America, that was hand carved and decorated quite beautifully. So I got into a habit of picking one up whenever I went somewhere new. Then a few crosses with small holy water fonts attached, got added to the collection. It wasn't for any religious reasons. I just enjoyed the beauty of them. I was fascinated by how different cultures would embelish them in different ways. I had them on a hallway wall in my old apt. I really loved how they looked, but I took them all down eventually. Too many people though I was a religious nut. :rolleyes:

When I moved back to Ireland, I brought only the most beautiful and most valuable with me. I'd put them back up, but I haven't the nerve. Pity really, as they are really quite lovely. Oh well... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Started collecting Starbucks mugs from cities/countries we've visited back in 2007 when we did a trip around USA/Canada and have built up a huge collection, despite not being fans of their coffee.

We use them all the time and they're a great reminder of a lot the places we've been together, not all, at not everywhere has a Starbucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Passport stamps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

old hippy wrote: »
    Music. CDs of local bands.

Thats a great idea actually, I might just start doing that !
    I have a genuine piece of the Berlin Wall sitting on my windowsill.

Wow, now thats something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Postcards is my thing. Put them in a scrapbook along with bus tickets/train tickets/attraction tickets and the best of the photographs I've taken.

Another thing I've done is for each journey I've embarked on - i.e. each major trip rather than each country I visit per trip - I buy a small piece of jewelry (like one of those Sabo charms) and put them on a bracelet. I plan on giving it to my children for them to remember the places I've been and maybe go there themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

i've a fridge magnet from everywhere i've visited, love seeing them all on display. we also get a piece of art of pottery from everywhere, have pictures we got in morocco. cuba and dominican rep, fruit bowl from mexico, need to go on more holidays with the husband to add to the collection!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Pottery is good. We got a Sicilian piece to hang on the garden wall...

Similar to this Trinacria-3-255x209.jpg

Also, I collect small icons of local deities/gods etc. Not religious but just like to have them around...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Souveniers are obviously tacky, but that needn't stop you!

My Mam has been decorating the downstairs bathroom with the tackiest magnets she can find! Whenever one of the family goes away, they bring back the worst thing possible for the magnet wall in the downstairs loo.

It's a bit of fun and a good laugh when you're away trying to find the worst thing possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I like to get a magnet from each place i go to and also loads and loads of postcards.

However i also like too spend some more money one something special - normally crafty in orgin. I have a gorgeous wooden giraffe from Kenya, two pieces of art from greece (one more abstract, the other street art), an expensive handmade mask from venice, a beautiful scarf from Norway, a necklace pendant with my name in heirogliphics from Egypt etc. some are expensive and others are not, but they are something that catches my eye and not mass produced and remind me of where i have been.

Hi,

It doesn't have to be something you buy abroad to generatre memories.

A nice photograph will do the trick. And I don't mean a mug shot in front of the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben.
    1044376_592640164090996_1895030600_n.jpg
    I was given this little fella as a nonsensical gift a while back.

Since then I have taken it everywhere I go.

I know I'll get slagged and slated for this, but this little fecker has been all over the gaff and my hallway is full of photos of the mutt taken from Belfast to Berlin and Westport to Warsaw.

Pure and utter nonsense, but the photos always bring a smile to my face when I walk in the door.

A bit of craic !

Oh go on then !!!

994226_595804603774552_49009084_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Gatica

The bit of the Berlin Wall I made off with was running through a building site near the Oberbaumbrucke Bridge. It was being demolished and fecked into a skip.

Fair enough, didn't know that. Just puzzled as to why someone would be chasing you over a skip-worthy piece of wall.
    Hersheys wrote: »
    Postcards is my thing. Put them in a scrapbook along with bus tickets/train tickets/attraction tickets and the best of the photographs I've taken.

Another thing I've done is for each journey I've embarked on - i.e. each major trip rather than each country I visit per trip - I buy a small piece of jewelry (like one of those Sabo charms) and put them on a bracelet. I plan on giving it to my children for them to remember the places I've been and maybe go there themselves.

Scrapbooks are a great idea, did them a lot in my teens, then thought it was a bit juvenile and stopped. I still keep all the tickets from trips and now think there's probably not many other ways to preserve it other than a scrapbook!
    My friend and I got stamps in passports when we travelled. We had to go up to immigration desk and ask for a stamp a couple of times because of the EU common travel area. Got odd looks but I guess us being young they obliged. :D
    I was given this little fella as a nonsensical gift a while back.

Since then I have taken it everywhere I go.

I know I'll get slagged and slated for this, but this little fecker has been all over the gaff and my hallway is full of photos of the mutt taken from Belfast to Berlin and Westport to Warsaw.
    !

That's a fun Amelie-like idea! Friends of our did that when one of the lads didn't get to go on holidays, they got a small toy and called him the missing fella's name and he's in all their photos of the group...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Until a few years ago, my wife and I bought a small painting, drawing, or art print from a street artist from every place we visited. In most popular destinations you can always find a local street artist set up near tourist attractions. We never spent more than 20 or 30 euros, typically much less.

Why is street art a great choice for collecting travel souvenirs?
    1. Supports the arts community
    2. Contributes to the local economy
    3. Item is not "Made in China" or similar
    4. You can frame and hang the art in your home
    5. Souvenirs are one of a kind and not mass produced
    6. You get to interact with a local person, possibly in their language
    7. Packs light since unframed art is small and flat
    8. May be worth money someday (OK not likely but one can hope)

Awesome suggestions and ideas folks, thank you for the in-sights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

I brought home a piece of rock salt from the Wiecksla salt mine in Krakow
    and I'm quite attached to it and don't know why.....HELP!

Advertisement