Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing in a solid fuel stove

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

@scudo2

Had a top guy pm me today, really nice. Trying to arrange a viewing of the house with him so he could give his input. Again a really great thread because it is clarifying and bringing all these points together. I mean I've seen people do what I want to do... just need to strike the balance between safety, efficiency and financial ruin :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Don't fit stove as per diagram!!
    Think OPEN VENT, their should be no non-return on the vent, no motorised valves would also be preferable for safety reasons depending on the stove size. With plumbing a drawing can look good in theory but may not work as per drawing on site. Your F&R on the stove are rising but will it be the case in reality as I anticipate the F&R will need to drop to connect to the ground floor rad circuit. The vent should rise near/straight off the stove on the flow and re-route to the header tank direct with a new pipe if necessary. Pumps should also be on the return as per manufacturers spec.
    How many BTU's is the stove?
    Are the four rads on the ground circuit capable of loosing the heat to prevent stove from boiling?
    Another problem you may encounter, the circuit may be too small and pitching may occur.
    Stoves and back boilers should be on open systems with no circuits. You might get away with it if the four rads are big enough but will depend on the stove BTU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Toby250

Have my stove in a year now and all is running well,not as my original diagram but did achieve everything I wanted to,controlling with zone valves and safety features,we had a power cut not long after the installation and all worked great dispersing the heat to the water cylinder.when you do your homework and keep safety as your number one priority.A DIY install is very possible once competent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Toby250 wrote: »
    Have my stove in a year now and all is running well,not as my original diagram but did achieve everything I wanted to,controlling with zone valves and safety features,we had a power cut not long after the installation and all worked great dispersing the heat to the water cylinder.when you do your homework and keep safety as your number one priority.A DIY install is very possible once competent

It all goes well until something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It all goes well until something goes wrong

Can I see a diagram of your completed work? Or better still some pics of the job

• Advertisement
Advertisement