Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meetup.com

Options
  • 14-07-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, just wondering if any of you ladies have tried this site out? I'm in my 40's and want to broaden my circle of friends maybe a couple if nights out every month as most of my friends are coupled up. I'm already involved in sports but not a particularly social sport so another sports club is not an option time wise. Is this my best route? Any reviews/thoughts appreciated. I'm in Dublin. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Op i have looked at it as well im in the same situation as yourself involved in sport etc but, have found that the majority of my friends have coupled up, im in my 40's as well, but im in Galway. Dont know anyone who has tried it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Im 34 and ive tried it.
    I didnt really like the dublin ones, but ive gone to a couple of book club ones in kildare and its been good.
    Im like you, just trying to broaden my social circle, which is a bit non-existant as everybody i know has emigrated

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I found the tech meetups more interesting than most of the others - have had some really fun nights at the Python ones. Late 20s here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I tried a few and had some fantastic experiences and havemade a few friends through them. It's a but trial and error about finding one that you like and have fun in.

I'm a member of a good few meetup groups and I love it! I'm 32 but a lot of the friends I've made would be older. Different groups have different age groups and activities too. I joined mostly for the walks, now attend some of the coffees and drinks too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

I adore meetups and attend something every week (Dublin). It really is ideal if you want to meet new people. My circle is dwindling and I'm just not interested in boozing as my main social activity. Now it's all sorts! It gives me a real boost as regards confidence and I have had wonderful days out/weekends away with interesting folk. Once you throw yourself in, trust me, you will not regret it!!

Do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

When I moved the Dublin in my mid-30s, I did several meetups. It took me a while to settle on the ones I liked, but that's how I made friends there.

That said, most of the other people I met were either foreigners like myself, of Irish people who had just moved back to the country or just moved to Dublin and didn't know anyone. It seems like a fair number of Dubs would show up, but then just sit in the corner and talk to their friends. But foreigners are always looking for new friends. ;)

Take the plunge! And go by yourself so you have to talk to new people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Thanks all for all the pointers, will defo try something out over the next week and let you all know how it goes, nervous now but sure what's the worst that can happen :)

Advertisement